Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delta's $98 response: detained by the DHS/FBI on a DL MR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta's $98 response: detained by the DHS/FBI on a DL MR

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2007, 1:40 am

I like fishy stories. I once caught one this big.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 1:59 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jimrpa
Really, could you please highlight the exact place in the OP's original post where he makes the statement "...that the Delta agent thought is itineraries were 'suspicious' and sicced the feds on him"? I've read that post several times, and I'll freely admit that I sometimes miss stuff when I read it. I may well have overlooked this.

A couple of things here:
  1. You're assuming that "Delta ... sicced the feds on him". That has not been substantiated.
  2. You're asserting that an airline has no legal obligation to report certain classes of passengers or certain passenger behaviors to the government. While I am definitely not a lawyer, I'm pretty sure that's wrong. For example, I'm almost 100% positive that airlines are required to report certain name matches to authorities if people traveling with those names attempt to travel.
1. Federal law enforcement officials find out about the actual DL itineraries because of what DL gives to law enforcement or that LEOs and intelligence services get from DL. Otherwise they have to somehow get it from the person travelling, who purchased the ticket or who has access to those persons and their belongings (or trash or handmedowns). [DHS CBP/ICE involvement, flight specific or not, can come into play but that wasn't the instigating factor here.]

2. The name was not on the list of names that requires contacting federal law enforcement prior to clearing for travel.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 17, 2007 at 2:10 am
Old Aug 17, 2007, 2:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Krakajax

There is something missing in this story the OP is telling.

First of all, the "Feds" would have been more likely the
DHS TSA supervison and the U.S. Marshal Service.
FBI would NOT have been involved in this unless there was
sufficient reason(s) OTHER THAN the highly UNUSUAL
and VERY ODD MCO-JFA-FRA-JFK-BWI-BOS
(Orlando FL - New York - Frankfort Germany - New York -
Baltimore - Boston) routing.
The FBI gets involved in many more situations involving travellers, those who are free citizens, at airports than your post would suggest. The conditionality of "FBI would NOT have been involved in this unless there was sufficient reason(s) OTHER THAN ....." in the above post is nonsense, either on its face or on an imagination of what constitutes "sufficient reason(s)".
Old Aug 17, 2007, 6:02 am
Suspended

Programs: NW Plat, UA 2P, DL FO, HH Silver, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Spiff
Well then.

You may test your hypothesis at your convenience.
Nah...I prefer to avoid being a circumstantial witness for the gov't anytime soon.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold

That routing is neither "highly unsual" nor "very odd," IMO.

Last edited by CO 1E; Aug 17, 2007 at 7:31 am
Old Aug 17, 2007, 8:18 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
1. Federal law enforcement officials find out about the actual DL itineraries because of what DL gives to law enforcement or that LEOs and intelligence services get from DL. Otherwise they have to somehow get it from the person travelling, who purchased the ticket or who has access to those persons and their belongings (or trash or handmedowns). [DHS CBP/ICE involvement, flight specific or not, can come into play but that wasn't the instigating factor here.]
I strongly suggest that there are non-public conditions under which Delta is compelled to provide information on passengers to the government. Just as Delta is not allowed to tell you that you've been moved from 2B to 37E because some deadweight (excuse me, FAM) is "protecting our liberty", I strongly believe that there are instances under which Delta is required to report passengers to the government, yet not disclose that they've done so.

For example, in the US, libraries and bookstores are required to report information on books read or purchased by people, and they are prohibited from telling people that they've been reported to the government.
2. The name was not on the list of names that requires contacting federal law enforcement prior to clearing for travel.[/QUOTE]

Can you substantiate that?
Old Aug 17, 2007, 8:35 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I will wager 90k SkyMiles that the Delta agent was NOT required by law to rat out our mileage runner in question.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Exactly correct.

Its funny how people think that an "unusual" itinerary is a sign of a problem. Do they really think that if someone was planning any kind of criminal activity they would necessarily fly all over the place like that? Is there any thought process at all that leads a sentient being to the conclusion that many segments= possible terrorist? Its amazing how people can just say and do things without trying to think if they really make any sense at all
^

I've never understood the concept of "unusual" routing=terrorist. Seems to me that the terrorists on 9/11 flew a perfectly "traditional" itinerary.

Mike
Old Aug 17, 2007, 9:11 am
Suspended

I strongly suggest that there are non-public conditions under which Delta is compelled to provide information on passengers to the government. Just as Delta is not allowed to tell you that you've been moved from 2B to 37E because some deadweight (excuse me, FAM) is "protecting our liberty", I strongly believe that there are instances under which Delta is required to report passengers to the government, yet not disclose that they've done so.

For example, in the US, libraries and bookstores are required to report information on books read or purchased by people, and they are prohibited from telling people that they've been reported to the government.
I am completely ignorant of NSLs, warrantless activities and public-private partnerships in this arena.

Can you substantiate that?
The OP of this thread flew thereafter and has since without requiring DL and all other US airline customer service reps to contact federal law enforcement prior to issuing a boarding pass, including boarding passes without haraSSSSment selection. Ask the OP.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 17, 2007 at 9:17 am
Old Aug 17, 2007, 10:09 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
I feel like i'm in the TSS forum with all this big brother talk.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Gotta love the apologists (for the airline as well as for the government).

IMO the OP is owed something quite substantial. Shame on DL!
Old Aug 17, 2007, 11:15 am

Programs: DL GM,US GP,Hilton Dia,Marriott Pla
Irregardless if the OP was ratted out by a DL agent or the Feds caught wind on their own, I believe the OP should have been duly compensated by DL. He was caught up in circumstances beyond his control.

Sure he could have declined to go with the Feds, but it would have been a long cab ride home.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 11:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS

DL as well as ALL airlines WILL VOID TICKETS and CANCEL
RESERVATIONS if you attempt to take segments out of sequence.

Also they WILL VOID mileage and tickets bought & sold via eBay....

EITHER of these scenarios added with the OP possibly creating a "fuss"
(as in being very abusive in behavior to the GA -- could POSSIBLY be WHY "Feds" were summoned....
At any rate, very very "fishy" story .....
Thank you for the blue color and 4 million carriage returns, but what on earth does a speech on selling miles on ebay and taking segments out of sequence (which isn't possible....i think you mean throw away ticketing) have to do with this situation?

While you advice is appreciated, you are aware you are posting in a community with probably the highest concentration of mileage program experts found anywhere, right?
Old Aug 17, 2007, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by chrisny2
I don't think he ever asserted that airlines have NO legal obligation to report certain classes of passengers. He said there wasn't an obligation IN THIS CASE.
You are correct. I'm still waiting for the assertion to be substantiated.

It's human nature to want to blame someone or something. It's also human nature to want to blame someone or something that you can "punish".
Old Aug 17, 2007, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
I will wager 90k SkyMiles that the Delta agent was NOT required by law to rat out our mileage runner in question.
You keep making an assertion that has not been substantiated. I asked you before to please highlight in the OPs original post where s/he claimed that a Delta agent "ratted" him out. Forther, I'd like to see the actual evidence that the claim (that a Delta agent "ratted" him out) is true. If you can't substantiate your claim, please PM me and I'll be glad to tell you where to send the certificates

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.