Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Budget/Delta 3K for 1-day rental until Dec 31, 2009 - MUAZ002

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Budget/Delta 3K for 1-day rental until Dec 31, 2009 - MUAZ002

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2009, 6:14 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, American, HHonors Gold
I need 1600 MQM's. Do these miles count towards MQM?
Old Sep 10, 2009, 7:29 am

Programs: DL Plat AA Gold Airtran Elite HH Diamond Marriott Plat *Wood Plat
Originally Posted by Clay_C.
How long should I expect to wait to see the miles on my rental receipt posted? I would also like to note that Budget tried to charge me $2 more than the price quoted online.
Avis posts miles every week, i believe on the 3rd, 10th, 17th, 24th of the month. I believe Budget does the same but i don't know if it's on the same days. Typically you have to turn the car in a couple of days before the next posting date to catch it, otherwise it's on the next one, but usually you see miles within 2 weeks in my experience
Old Sep 10, 2009, 7:29 am

Programs: DL Plat AA Gold Airtran Elite HH Diamond Marriott Plat *Wood Plat
Originally Posted by pshooper
I need 1600 MQM's. Do these miles count towards MQM?
Negative. If it were MQM's this thread would have 56 pages by now.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by gte157q
Negative. If it were MQM's this thread would have 56 pages by now.
I predict we will see this in the future. If Hilton and DL can get together to offer MQMs from hotel stays I can't see any reason why a car rental company wouldn't entertain the idea.

If Budget, Avis, or any other company does this I hope they still allow for RDM accrual bonuses. Given the choice between 3K RDMs and 500 MQMs I would opt for the RDMs personally.

Delta is selling status. There is a CC thread about an Amex signup/spending bonus offering 25K MQMs. So they are basically selling FO status at minimum.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 9:08 am

Programs: DL Silver, HH Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by gte157q
Avis posts miles every week, i believe on the 3rd, 10th, 17th, 24th of the month. I believe Budget does the same but i don't know if it's on the same days. Typically you have to turn the car in a couple of days before the next posting date to catch it, otherwise it's on the next one, but usually you see miles within 2 weeks in my experience
I believe it posts on those days for rentals completed at least 5 days prior IIRC from my run on $20 SUV's 1 day rentals for 7500 mi last year. This isn't nearly as appealing, but good to have a 1 day bonus out there when you need it as most this year have been 3 or 5 days.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 4:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
They are offering me a Hyundai Accent for $128.70 for the three days in FLL.

I already have a Hyundai Accent reserved at Hertz for the same 3 days for $129.32.

The difference is that Hertz's offer includes "Collision fee recovery, loss damage waiver, tax, liability insurance supplement, customer facility charge & vehicle license fee recovery, rental surcharge and energy surcharge."

When the taxes are added in, Budget's price goes up to $171.77 and, with the LDW and the liability insurance supplement, it totals out at $293.03.

My Hertz reservation was made with a Delta offer for double miles, so I will get 1000 SkyMiles instead of the 3000 that Budget is giving but I can't see spending an extra $164.33 for an extra 2000 SkyMiles.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dovster
They are offering me a Hyundai Accent for $128.70 for the three days in FLL.

I already have a Hyundai Accent reserved at Hertz for the same 3 days for $129.32.

The difference is that Hertz's offer includes "Collision fee recovery, loss damage waiver, tax, liability insurance supplement, customer facility charge & vehicle license fee recovery, rental surcharge and energy surcharge."

When the taxes are added in, Budget's price goes up to $171.77 and, with the LDW and the liability insurance supplement, it totals out at $293.03.

My Hertz reservation was made with a Delta offer for double miles, so I will get 1000 SkyMiles instead of the 3000 that Budget is giving but I can't see spending an extra $164.33 for an extra 2000 SkyMiles.
Tell me if I have got this right. Using your numbers and my premium car rental protection from Amex. The Budget price would be $171.77 + $24.95 (Amex) = $196.72. That would be $67.40 more than the Hertz deal you quoted. Are you getting a 1000 bonus miles with Hertz or a total of 1000 miles? With Budget the total miles for the rental would be 3,150 (50 x 3 days + 3K bonus). $67.40/2,150 is paying 3.1 cents per mile. Good or bad?

Do you have a Hertz code you can share or did you call them? Is this a corp rate that includes the Collision fee recovery, loss damage waiver, and liability insurance supplement? or can anyone get this deal?
Old Sep 12, 2009, 5:28 am

Programs: delta pm, aa exp, hilton diamond
Originally Posted by Clay_C.
How long should I expect to wait to see the miles on my rental receipt posted? I would also like to note that Budget tried to charge me $2 more than the price quoted online.
I had the same thing happen with the $2.00 when I brought it to the attention of the customer service person he could not figure out how it happened. Lucky for me I had a copy of my confirmation with me. Kind of turns me off of Budget even for the extra 3000 miles.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by Evan!
Tell me if I have got this right. Using your numbers and my premium car rental protection from Amex. The Budget price would be $171.77 + $24.95 (Amex) = $196.72. That would be $67.40 more than the Hertz deal you quoted. Are you getting a 1000 bonus miles with Hertz or a total of 1000 miles? With Budget the total miles for the rental would be 3,150 (50 x 3 days + 3K bonus). $67.40/2,150 is paying 3.1 cents per mile. Good or bad?

Do you have a Hertz code you can share or did you call them? Is this a corp rate that includes the Collision fee recovery, loss damage waiver, and liability insurance supplement? or can anyone get this deal?
Okay, I can't use the Amex insurance because I don't have a US address but it is easy enough to check the prices for both Hertz and Budget. (They will be different for you than for me anyhow because the rental price is dependent on your country of residence.)

If you live in Israel Hertz will only give you an all-inclusive package and, for the rental I had in mind, it came to $128.70. (If I had insisted on putting my Gold number on the reservation it would have been another $5.)

Anybody who has a SkyMiles account can get this. You simply have to go to this web page and click on the offer which suits you best (mine was the middle one). Make certain to enter your SkyMiles number.

It is not a 1000 mile bonus. The normal SkyMiles would be 500 and this doubles it to 1000.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Okay, I can't use the Amex insurance because I don't have a US address but it is easy enough to check the prices for both Hertz and Budget. (They will be different for you than for me anyhow because the rental price is dependent on your country of residence.)

If you live in Israel Hertz will only give you an all-inclusive package and, for the rental I had in mind, it came to $128.70. (If I had insisted on putting my Gold number on the reservation it would have been another $5.)

Anybody who has a SkyMiles account can get this. You simply have to go to this web page and click on the offer which suits you best (mine was the middle one). Make certain to enter your SkyMiles number.

It is not a 1000 mile bonus. The normal SkyMiles would be 500 and this doubles it to 1000.
I followed your instructions. Arriving the night of Fri the 23rd and returning the afternoon of the 26th. I was not offered an Accent but rather a Ford Focus. The total charges were $161.85 I was quoted. At the bottom of the pricing summary was a link that read "View Optional Items". It expanded to show this:
View Optional Items
Liability Insurance Supplement
per day 12.44 USD
Loss Damage Waiver
per day 26.99 USD
Personal Accident Insurance / Personal Effects Coverage
per day 5.95 USD
Rates for Optional Items are Exclusive of tax and other associated charges
I have to conclude since they are "optional" that these items are not part of the $161.85. These charges would cost me another $45.38 per day bringing the total to $297.99. OUCH! And this isn't counting the unknown FF mile charge (see below). If I could get the insurances into a rate like yours I would not use my Amex for the rental and thus save the $24.95 by choosing Visa or MC.

How did you get the LIS, LDW, PAI/PEC with taxes included in your $129.32? Where in the booking process were you told that these extras were included in your quote of $129.32?

Also, I found a contradiction. For the link you gave me the T&C say this:
Frequent Flyer Surcharge of $0.75 per day, up to a maximum of $5.25 per rental, may apply.
However the T&C on the final page before your reserve says this:
A Frequent Flyer Surcharge of up to $1.00 per day up to a maximum of $5.25 per rental may apply when renters choose to take miles or credits from a U.S. Frequent Flyer program.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Evan!

How did you get the LIS, LDW, PAI/PEC with taxes included in your $129.32? Where in the booking process were you told that these extras were included in your quote of $129.32?
I honestly don't remember where I was first told this. I do know that Hertz always includes these for Israeli residents -- we can't turn them down -- and they are not one of the options listed.

However, PAI/PEC is not included (nor did I say they were). They were available for an additional $5.95 per day above the price I gave you.

There is no question of whether the items I cited are included. The quote I gave you about them comes directly from my printed copy of the reservation, as does the $129.32 price.

As I recall, had I wanted the Ford Focus it would have cost me $40 more for the rental. I tried to check that right now but for some reason the Hertz page is not loading.

I will try checking the website later and see if I can tell you when I was informed of what was included and where the offer for the Hyundai appeared.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 7:33 am
Original Poster

I honestly don't remember where I was first told this. I do know that Hertz always includes these for Israeli residents -- we can't turn them down -- and they are not one of the options listed.

However, PAI/PEC is not included (nor did I say they were). They were available for an additional $5.95 per day above the price I gave you.

There is no question of whether the items I cited are included. The quote I gave you about them comes directly from my printed copy of the reservation, as does the $129.32 price.

As I recall, had I wanted the Ford Focus it would have cost me $40 more for the rental. I tried to check that right now but for some reason the Hertz page is not loading.

I will try checking the website later and see if I can tell you when I was informed of what was included and where the offer for the Hyundai appeared.
Thanks. I appreciate your help. Perhaps my U.S. residency is the key to why I am not getting the same benefit.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 6:17 pm

Yup, the residency is the difference. I tried making the same reservation for the Hyundai and listed myself as living the in US and got a quote of $161.85, with taxes and fees included but not insurance.

(You can see the Hyundai price by clicking on the request to see all 36 prices. The Hyundai will be the first on the list for which a price does not appear until you click on "Select for Quote").

This list of exactly what you are getting is in step # 4 "Review and Book".
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:40 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
FYI, I can confirm this code works out of BOS. I have 3100 on my receipt.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Thanks for the find Evan! I had an upcoming Budget reservation credited to UA (gotta toss a few miles that way to keep the account active) but this is much better so I changed it.

BTW, as previously posted, the Budget site has a way of conveniently "forgetting" coupon codes so you have to check and double check them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.