Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Gold SkyMiles AMEX Credit Card Offer E-mail 5/1/09 [35-50k + SkyClub Passes]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL Gold SkyMiles AMEX Credit Card Offer E-mail 5/1/09 [35-50k + SkyClub Passes]

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2009, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Paul3456
I received my new AMX card in the mail but it didn't include the 2 club day passes. Does anyone know if these are sent seperatly or should they be sent along with the card?
My application I got through snail mail says in the fine print

"Please allow 8 to 12 weeks after approval of a Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card submitted on this application for passes to arrive."
Old May 23, 2009, 5:38 pm

I received an offer for:

Get up to 40,000 bonus miles and a complimentary* companion ticket.
You'll receive 25,000 bonus miles after your very first purchase1 and another 15,000 bonus miles after spending $1,000 or more within the first three months of Cardmembership. That's more than enough for an Award Ticket - almost two of them3. And, you'll also receive a complimentary* companion Coach Class ticket.

I am expecting that the issue here on the companion ticket will be the statement of: Companion certificate valid for one round-trip Coach-Class companion ticket with the purchase of certain adult round-trip fares.

I'm sure any discounted type of fare I try to purchase will not be eligible for the free companion ticket. So doubt this will work in taking my hubby to Vegas with me.
Old May 27, 2009, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
Originally Posted by ohmark
Well, my experience indicates that there is, in fact, a two card limit in effect by AMEX that applies if you try to open a third card. That is, two credit cards that allow a revolving balance. So, for example, if you had the SPG card, the Hilton card, or the Costco card, etc, you would not be allowed to open a Delta Skymiles card. Options are to close one of the other cards, or to "upgrade" (as AMEX put it) one of the other cards to Skymiles gold. But, if you upgrade rather than clicking through one of the current relatively generous offers, you don't get the offer.

Apparently, this is a YMMV situation. I e-mailed and called AMEX asking about the 2-card cap, and the person I spoke to said that there was no restriction. I went ahead and did a phone application and found out today that I had been approved for my 3rd card (Starwood, Hilton, and now Delta). Since the original credit limit was low, AMEX even offered to reallocate credit line amounts from either Starwood or Hilton to make the Delta card more attractive. (This came as a surprise to me because I've read that you can no longer request a reallocation of credit lines with AMEX. Perhaps since it was a new card application and since they offered the reallocation option to me, they aren't bound by this restriction. Who knows.)
Old May 27, 2009, 12:54 pm

I posted earlier about an offer I had for 100,000 points + 2 skyclub passes. The 100,000 was broken up between 50,000 after first spend and 50,000 after $10K spend in 6 months.

I applied for both the business and personal cards. This has been a mess...

I've had the personal card for a month now, but only had 25,000 points post to my DL account. Called amex and found out that neither the personal or business card had the 100K promotion applied (instead, they were signed up under the generic promotion). They opened a case to research the issue. Fortunately, I have a copy of the T&C from when I signed up.

Last week, I was charged a $95 membership fee on the personal card. I called amex back to ask about the fee and see if they had any progress on the promotion problem. Supposedly the promotion has been correctly applied to my business card, but my personal card is still being researched. They opened up a new case to dispute the $95 membership fee.

I have yet to see any points (beyond the initial 25K) post to my delta account.

I hope this offer has gone more smoothly for everyone else!
Old May 27, 2009, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1+MM / HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle
Apparently, this is a YMMV situation. I e-mailed and called AMEX asking about the 2-card cap, and the person I spoke to said that there was no restriction. I went ahead and did a phone application and found out today that I had been approved for my 3rd card (Starwood, Hilton, and now Delta). Since the original credit limit was low, AMEX even offered to reallocate credit line amounts from either Starwood or Hilton to make the Delta card more attractive. (This came as a surprise to me because I've read that you can no longer request a reallocation of credit lines with AMEX. Perhaps since it was a new card application and since they offered the reallocation option to me, they aren't bound by this restriction. Who knows.)
So, you never applied online... you just called them and they offered before you accepted?

Did they tell you what your credit limit would be before accepting?

Just trying to figure this out... I have one AMEX card with about a 10K limit. My WP Visa has a 30K and I need to have at least a 20K limit in order for the AMEX to be usable for me. I'm worried about applying and getting a low ball credit limit and being stuck at something like 3K which would be completely useless to someone who charged $75k+ annually to the card (like me!). I'm wondering if I call and do it via phone if I can get what the credit limit would be before accepting, and if it's too low, negotiate a credit shift between my AMEX card I could care less about, to the Delta AMEX. Any thoughts?
Old May 27, 2009, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by syrwhizzy
So, you never applied online... you just called them and they offered before you accepted?

Did they tell you what your credit limit would be before accepting?

Just trying to figure this out... I have one AMEX card with about a 10K limit. My WP Visa has a 30K and I need to have at least a 20K limit in order for the AMEX to be usable for me. I'm worried about applying and getting a low ball credit limit and being stuck at something like 3K which would be completely useless to someone who charged $75k+ annually to the card (like me!). I'm wondering if I call and do it via phone if I can get what the credit limit would be before accepting, and if it's too low, negotiate a credit shift between my AMEX card I could care less about, to the Delta AMEX. Any thoughts?
I never applied on-line because I wasn't interested in getting an automatic rejection if they had a 2-card limit in place. While I was confirming on the phone that this was not a hard and fast rule, the CSR offered to take my application under the T&C's of my promo offer.

They did not immediately approve me during this initial phone call. I only found out that I had been approved when they left me voice mails to call them to confirm my application information. At that time, they told me that my approved credit line would be a very small amount (less than $5k) but that I could reallocate credit limits from other existing accounts. I suppose I could have told them at that point that I wasn't interested, but I'm sure they had already done the credit check by that time.

Since our situations are different (you sound like you are interested in using this as a primary credit line while I don't), I don't know if my experience will be useful to you. I don't think it would hurt to call them up and ask them some questions about an initial credit limit, but I'm not sure they will be able to answer your questions until they get further along in the application process.
Old May 27, 2009, 10:42 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by BradleyVU
So far I've seen 3 different offer types:
(details snipped...)

Strangely, only #2 above has a link that says "Already a Cardmember? If yes, the application will be shorter." Click the link, and you get a modified app that asks for household income, but does NOT ask info about your employer.

Both #1 and #3 above force you to enter your employer's info (company name and phone number).

I quit my job last month to go to MBA school. I don't want a denial of credit showing up on my report, so #2 might be my only option.
Bradley - just FYI, I was actually laid off in January (probably equivalent to quitting to go back to school in their eyes).

I just applied online for the "amazing offer" that I received via email - which was the exact same offer I received in the postal mail. For employer, I put my own business name ("Amalgamated Nwflyboy International"), and said I was self-employed. Was approved for the card in about 5 seconds.

FWIW, my offer was similar to most described here: 40,000 miles total (25,000 for first use, 15,00 more for $1000 spent in the first 3 months, plus the probably-useless "companion ticket"), first year fee waived.

So, your recent change in employment/student status should not necessarily be an issue (at least it wasn't for me). You can list your employer as BradleyVU Enterprises or something similar (my "business" is equally ad hoc), and just provide your income from last year.

Now, they gave me a credit limit of just $10,000, but I don't care (actually, I'm glad it's that low), although I know some heavy card users would prefer higher limits. I'll probably use the card heavily initially to get the $1000 spend for the 15k miles, then use it rarely. I assume I can cancel the card in 11 months and beat the annual fee (we'll see about that - I know some companies will take miles back).

Anyway, don't be spooked just because your employer has changed (to yourself).

Good luck.
Old May 27, 2009, 10:48 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Me and Mrs nwflyboy got our offers in the postal mail a few weeks ago, and via email.

Our offers were pretty standard: 40,000 miles total, 25k on first spend, and 15k for $1000 spent in the first 3 months. Interestingly, I got the "complimentary companion ticket" and she got the 2 SkyClub passes (none of which we'll probably use). Who the heck knows what criteria they use to choose the little extra goodie? You know, it's probably just random.

I just took the plunge and applied online; the missus will do so shortly.

I assume that the SkyClub passes have an expiration date, and we probably will not be doing any flights for a year due to job circumstances. And since we never fly domestically (and we never buy a full-fare ticket), we'll probably never use the companion ticket, so those extra goodies are a wash. Oh well.
Old May 29, 2009, 9:15 pm

Well, I finally did it. I applied for the AMEX Gold. I figured I wouldn't do the Plat or Reserve cards because they're a rip off compared to this promo. I've already got 10K EQM's coming my way from the WorldPerks US Bank Visa, and well, that's where it's going to have to stay. I'm not paying $150/$450 for a card that doesn't give me a fair chance of doing EQMs. Maybe I'll re-consider in December/January. Also, given how Delta is ruining what I enjoyed about NW piece by piece, who knows if I'll be around long enough to care about next year.

I called up (before I applied) and they said that they couldn't move my credit limit from the AMEX card I don't care about to the this one if I were to apply. I pressed pretty hard, the rep said they used to be able to do it, but no longer can. That's really stupid.

So I got off the phone and applied online. I had the 25k for applying, 25k if I spend $10k in the first 6 months + 4 SkyClubs Passes (yet another reason I didn't go for the Reserve card).

Credit limit was decent. I had $30k on the US Bank Visa. This one offered an initial $10k. The credit limit is decent for a start. I'll ask for an increase in a few months. I'll definitely need more than $10k for the thing to be useful. Too bad they won't let me move some or all of the $10k limit I have on the other AMEX card I have that I don't use very much.

Oh hum, their loss. I guess these people (Delta and AMEX) aren't very bright.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 10:14 am

Programs: UA 1P (w/ no expectations whatsoever); Marriott Gold; Hilton Silver; Hertz Pres
Only the 25k+10k for me. No club passes...gah was hoping to be actually be able to get into a lounge.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 4:15 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is soooo weird. I already got the fee-waived Delta biz and personal Amexes last year, 25K each, used them each once for $5 at the supermarket. They sent me snail mail the 25K/40K offer with the passes. Figured it was a boo-boo but called and they said, yes, LLM, you can get another free gold card and 25K and approved it on the phone. I also have Hilton Amex and two other biz Amexes. They must have an entirely different setup for people with the US Bank Visas because they also gave the 25K free gold cards to my 85-year-old father and 21-year-old son. We are just rolling in Skymiles here at the Casa LLM.

Do the club passes have names on them, assuming they come, or are they transferable?
Old Jun 9, 2009, 10:07 am

Thumbs down Watch out for this one...

Originally Posted by syrwhizzy
Well, I finally did it. I applied for the AMEX Gold. ....
So I applied late on Friday 5/29, the card came in the mail on Friday 6/5.

Cool part, if you've had another AMEX card for a long period of time, it uses that date for your membership start date... Is it says Member since... 99. lol

So, what do you do with a new credit card? You start using it!

Got about $900 on it and it stopped working when I went to charge another $100 with an online purchase. (I have a $10k limit).

I had to call them. So I had to sit on the phone and wait. Finally got to someone. Answered the typical round of security questions.

"We were concerned about it being fraudlent because it's a new account."

Seriously?

Before they'd clear the card, they have to call you back to make sure you're real. Of course. So we did that. You'd think that maybe they'd suggest you doing that after you activate the card instead of screwing a few purchases I have done up. Now I have to deal with the vendor that I placed the order with because my order status is in limbo due to the failed authorization.

While I'm thinking about it... Don't forget to update the account with alternate ship-to addresses if you do need that too. They'll ask for a duration, default is 30 days (yucky). I told them to do 2099 but it wouldn't work. We chose 2014. That seems pretty far away. But, oh, the person who verifies your identity can't do that apparently, they have to transfer you to another queue.

A nice waste of 30 mins of my time... did they expect me to not use the card? I'm the one complaining that an initial $10k limit won't be enough, of course I'm going to start using the card. Idiots.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 8:24 am

Programs: HHonors Dia, IHG Plat, Wyndham Dia, Southwest Companion Pass, Raddison Gold, Frontier 100K
30,000 + 2 passes on NWA Home Page

For those who had a bad offer and wanted the passes, looks like they are opening up the offer instead of only the targeted offer. Miles are not quite as good, but the 2 passes are appealing.

Earn up to 30,000 Miles
For a limited time, get up to 30K bonus miles & 2 Delta Sky Club day passes with the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card.
> Offer expires 6/17/09. Apply now!Travel Promotions & News

- Northwest and Delta Merger Information
- Award travel for as low as 12,500 miles
- Review Checked Baggage Policy - UPDATED
Old Jun 11, 2009, 8:59 am

Anyone actually receive their passes yet? I've hard the card for a little over a month now. Was hoping to use the passes at the end of next week
Old Jun 12, 2009, 5:22 pm

I received the offer for 25k after first purchase plus 15K after $1000 spend in the first 3 months. My AMEX statement closed with over $1000 in purchases, and the first miles posted to my Delta account. I got a 15k-mile bonus in addition to the regular miles earned on my spend. I'm assuming this is the 25k initial bonus less a previous 10k-mile bonus I received from a Delta AMEX card I had opened and closed many years ago. However, it's possible that this could be my 15k bonus for spending $1000.

Has anyone received both bonuses in their Delta account for a new Delta AMEX? I know it says to wait 8-12 weeks for bonuses to post, but I would like to be proactive if there is an obvious problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.