Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2021, 1:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Sixt Plat
I've done a 31m layover in ATL, I leisurely made my way to the gate and just as I got there they were doing the pre-boarding speech.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by cubeman
I've done a 31m layover in ATL, I leisurely made my way to the gate and just as I got there they were doing the pre-boarding speech.
This is a touch misleading - depending on where you are sitting on the plane and what gates your inbound and outbound planes are, a 31 minute connection can be very dicey.

If you're in the back row of a full 739 or 753 and your gates are at the opposite ends of the airport, and your inbound is just on time and your outbound pushes on time, you have a near 100% probability to miss your flight with a 35 minute connection time unless you are in an all out sprint and the plane train graces you with perfect timing.

To OP's question of course, 1 hour is far and away more than enough for Atlanta. Doubly so if you're in First. With a 75 minute layover, your flight can be 40 minutes late and you'll still comfortably make your connection.
CaptainBiscoff and cubeman like this.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 1:47 pm

Programs: Delta
Sounds great, folks. Thank you for the reassurance. If it weren't for the 767-400, I wouldn't care, but I am anxious because I want to make sure I don't miss that flight of all flights.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by CaptainBiscoff
Sounds great, folks. Thank you for the reassurance. If it weren't for the 767-400, I wouldn't care, but I am anxious because I want to make sure I don't miss that flight of all flights.
xxx-ATL-HNL connections are commonly something like 31 minutes as someone said, 40 minutes, and the like. It's fine, even with the (almost guaranteed) arrival at T or A gates and departure from E or F (and vice versa going the other way), but gives no leeway for the arriving flight to be late (so don't do it in thunderstorm season or otherwise when weather is more likely to be a factor), and you have to be sitting at the front and a good speed-walker to quickly get from the T/A or what not gates to the E/F gates (DL always seems to like making the tightest connections the longer possible distance at two polar opposite ends of the airport). Oh, and hope that the train at ATL doesn't shut down. Sometimes it does. If so, then you are hosed, unless you are an Olympic runner. That is with 30~45 min connections. With 1 hour I think you are fine, as long as no material delays, as you are getting out from the front. Don't know about other 767 flights, but DL will more often than not hold ATL-HNL and MSP-HNL flights for tight connections (they'd rather depart slightly late than have to accommodate pax on other flights).
Old Apr 4, 2021, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
These threads all have roughly the same answer. DL's MCT for D-D at ATL is as low as 35 minutes. If it is bookable, it is doable. DL is prepared to accept the risk of a misconnect.

The better question is whether you are willing to accept that risk. If missing your flight means waiting a day, losing an upgrade and sitting in a middle seat in storage, you have to ask yourself whether you want to cut it close.

What nobody can ever predict is the weather, mechanical, ATC or just human issues.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Yeah, I'm not one for the 31 and 40 minute scheduled connections, even when I'm in F. I don't like to feel rushed.

But an hour and 13 minutes, I wouldn't event think twice about taking that. Plenty of time.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Often1
... If missing your flight means waiting a day, losing an upgrade and sitting in a middle seat in storage, you have to ask yourself whether you want to cut it close. ...
I have nothing to add to this
Tine Rod likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Zorak
If flight #1 is on time then 1h13m is so much time that it's not remotely worth worrying about
This is the real takeaway here.

It will probably be on time, but if it isn't, what's the backup plan? Will I mean switching to another flight in an hour or two? And if so, will that also be a 764 or will you be seeing a massive downgrade to regular domestic F? Or is it going to mean spending the night in ATL?

Personally, I like to have at least 90 minutes, especially now so I can stock up on plenty of food and drink since there won't be any of that happening in the air. Also, if I'm connection to a specific aircraft that I've chosen (like a lie flat option rather than typical miserable F seats) then I like to build in a bit more time if it's possible.
krazykanuck and GagaPilot like this.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
Also, if I'm connection to a specific aircraft that I've chosen (like a lie flat option rather than typical miserable F seats) then I like to build in a bit more time if it's possible.
Completely agree on this point. Delta is willing to take a shorter connecting time in ATL because they will be able to seat you on A plane, if not the plane you wanted. That said, I’ve never worried about a connecting time of 45 minutes or more in ATL from F or Y classes. Most of my flights have landed early, in fact. Of course the one flight you need to be on time WILL be late, and as far away in the alphabet from your connecting gate as possible, so better to take a cautious approach.
cmd320 and GagaPilot like this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 4:52 am

1h 45min Connection INTL-Domestic

Hey everyone,

I am flying MUC - ATL - MIA on the 21st of December arriving around 2pm. After a schedule change the connection time at ATL dropped to only 1h 45min. Since I am traveling with a new ESTA (non US-Citizen) I will need to clear immigration the long way...
I will be traveling with carry on only. Both flights are operated by Delta. No GE, No TSA Pre Checked
Do you think that connection is manageable?
thank you for your help 🙏
Old Apr 5, 2021, 9:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The MCT at ATL is 1:30. Thus, you have a "legal" connection. I would leave it even though this is extremely ambitious.

First. there are likely to be multiple alternatives if you misconnect and DL will rebook you on one of them. It is a short flight to MIA, so worrying about aircraft and the like is not worth it.
Second, any schedule more than 3-4 weeks in the future is purely notional. There will likely be multiple schedule changes between now and December. Thus, not worth worrying until November.
gooselee likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Often1
The MCT at ATL is 1:30. Thus, you have a "legal" connection. I would leave it even though this is extremely ambitious.

First. there are likely to be multiple alternatives if you misconnect and DL will rebook you on one of them. It is a short flight to MIA, so worrying about aircraft and the like is not worth it.
Second, any schedule more than 3-4 weeks in the future is purely notional. There will likely be multiple schedule changes between now and December. Thus, not worth worrying until November.
Agree with all of this.

OP also does not mention if they are flying business or coach. If business, I'd be even more comfortable with a 105-min connection even with the "long" immigration route.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 10:22 am

Last edited by WillBarrett_68; Apr 5, 2021 at 10:25 am Reason: pointless
Old Apr 5, 2021, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by TC_DE
Hey everyone,

I am flying MUC - ATL - MIA on the 21st of December arriving around 2pm. After a schedule change the connection time at ATL dropped to only 1h 45min. Since I am traveling with a new ESTA (non US-Citizen) I will need to clear immigration the long way...
I will be traveling with carry on only. Both flights are operated by Delta. No GE, No TSA Pre Checked
Do you think that connection is manageable?
thank you for your help 🙏
Without GE or Pre, this could get tight.

Carry-on only is definitely a positive, since you won't have to wait for checked luggage to be brought out and then recheck it. I'd say if everything is running smoothly and the FIS isn't too busy, you should be alright. I wouldn't want to be connecting to the last flight of the night to MIA though.
dcadwell likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 8:28 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 2MM, HHonors Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by RealHJ
xxx-ATL-HNL connections are commonly something like 31 minutes as someone said, 40 minutes, and the like. It's fine, even with the (almost guaranteed) arrival at T or A gates and departure from E or F (and vice versa going the other way), but gives no leeway for the arriving flight to be late (so don't do it in thunderstorm season or otherwise when weather is more likely to be a factor), and you have to be sitting at the front and a good speed-walker to quickly get from the T/A or what not gates to the E/F gates (DL always seems to like making the tightest connections the longer possible distance at two polar opposite ends of the airport). Oh, and hope that the train at ATL doesn't shut down. Sometimes it does. If so, then you are hosed, unless you are an Olympic runner. That is with 30~45 min connections. With 1 hour I think you are fine, as long as no material delays, as you are getting out from the front. Don't know about other 767 flights, but DL will more often than not hold ATL-HNL and MSP-HNL flights for tight connections (they'd rather depart slightly late than have to accommodate pax on other flights).
I'll be cautiously optimistic my SJU-ATL-HNL 37-minute connection in December will expand a bit. Not a ton of options if it's missed. Looking forward to Delta One on the long segment,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.