Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF these are the MCTs for JFK:
DL to DL Connections
  • D-D: 35 minutes
  • D-I: 45 minutes except 55 minutes if connecting to HAV.
  • I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland, AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour 55 minutes if coming from HAV. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-D times above apply.
  • I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland or AUA; 45 minutes if coming from BDA, FPO, or NAS; 2 hours if arriving on a DL-marketed flight that arrives into Terminal 1. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-I times above apply.
DL to/from AF
  • DL to AF, D-I: 1 hour 40 minutes until 11/23/23; 1 hour 15 minutes starting 11/24/23
  • DL to AF, I-I: 2 hours
  • AF to DL, I-D: 2 hours 15 minutes until 12/31/23; 1 hour 45 minutes starting 1/1/24
  • AF to DL, I-I: 2 hours
DL to/from KL
  • DL to KL, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to KL, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
DL to/from VS:
  • DL to VS, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to VS, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
Other connections
LA to DL I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes until 7/21/23, 1 hour 35 minutes starting 7/22/23.
LA to DL I-I: 1 hour 30 minutes

Generic online and offline:
D-D: 1 hour
D-I: 1 hour 15 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 45 minutes
I-I: 2 hours
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2007, 8:15 am

Programs: Delta SKYMILES GM 1MM, BRITISH AIRWAYS GOLD, HHONOURS DIAMOND, PRIORITY PASS
Originally Posted by DlRes
If he has an electronic ticket, the CO agents in CLE should be able to check him in all the way, actually even if you had a paper ticket. As long as is all on the same ticket.

No it's 2 seperate tickets
Old Aug 17, 2007, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by IRISHFLYER1
Hmm Ask, you have nothing to lose
Old Aug 17, 2007, 9:20 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,

Certainly for domestic tineraries, I have checked luggage through many times even when on separate tickets. It is commonplace out in Hawaii where Hawaiian will check your luggage through to DL or NW or whoever even though it is a completely separate ticket. Horizon has also done this when I am connecting to DL in PDX or SEA.

Not sure about international, but if you have the confirm, I will bet yes.

But for the overall problem of a close connection at JFK, different terminals, and a CO Connection flight for the inbound (RJs are MORE likely to be pre-emptively cancelled or delayed for ATC flow control), you may wish to consider alternatives such as an earlier flight.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by RobertS975
Certainly for domestic tineraries, I have checked luggage through many times even when on separate tickets. It is commonplace out in Hawaii where Hawaiian will check your luggage through to DL or NW or whoever even though it is a completely separate ticket. Horizon has also done this when I am connecting to DL in PDX or SEA.

Not sure about international, but if you have the confirm, I will bet yes.
The baggage is not the issue, is the boarding passes.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Have been unable to do this in the past, my last leg home is always on a different ticket. In this case a different Airline. Not even sure that Delta have a desk at CLE
DL has a desk in CLE, as well as multiple flights per day to ATL, CVG, and JFK. In any case, try to see whether CO will be able to check you in for the DL segment. If not, just go to the DL ticket counter in CLE and have them print you a boarding pass (obviously, be certain to arrive at the airport with sufficient time to go to the DL ticket counter, if necessary). And, you could always stand by for an earlier CO flight to JFK.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 9:52 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
But for the overall problem of a close connection at JFK, different terminals, and a CO Connection flight for the inbound (RJs are MORE likely to be pre-emptively cancelled or delayed for ATC flow control), you may wish to consider alternatives such as an earlier flight.
To make matters worse, I believe that CO flight is actually a prop -a Dash 8.

There is an earlier DL Comair flight that actually has a decent on-time record (84%) that gets in earlier but it may be too early for the OP...

Originally Posted by CO 1E
DL has a desk in CLE, as well as multiple flights per day to ATL, CVG, and JFK. In any case, try to see whether CO will be able to check you in for the DL segment. If not, just go to the DL ticket counter in CLE and have them print you a boarding pass (obviously, be certain to arrive at the airport with sufficient time to go to the DL ticket counter, if necessary). And, you could always stand by for an earlier CO flight to JFK..
I highly doubt CO can check you into a DL international flight, especially when it's on two separate tickets. In fact, IME (many experiences) DL itself cannot even check you in onto the next flight when there are two separate PNRs involved. I've done many West Coast-JFK-Europe trips where there were two separate PNRs and I have often been told at DL check in in SAN or LAX that they could not check me in or provide boarding passes for my JFK-Europe flight.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 11:06 am

Programs: UA *G
You also have to go from Terminal 4 to Terminal 2 at JFK, and your Continental plane is a slower prop.

Any chance you can switch to a Delta Connection flight? That way, you're protected, on a jet (that CO flight is a dash 8), and at least you're in the same terminal building at Kennedy.

-A
Old Aug 17, 2007, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by CO 1E
DL has a desk in CLE,
More specifically, their check-in desk is on the right side of the ticketing lobby, between AC and US.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K (3.52MM BIS miles) AA EXP (3.64MM)
JFK connection for elderly person

I'm a newbie on this forum so pls be gentle.
My wife & her mom are cashing in some Delta miles to fly to FLL from PDX...only routing that has enough saver availability for the miles they have available is via JFK.
There is a 1hr 39min layover...the flight from PDX leaves at 0610 so it should leave on time..
Anyway...my wife is concerned about navigating JFK with a semi-ambulatory mom..
So her question is do all delta flights in/out of JFK share a common terminal/concourse...or at least the ones I'm looking at.
If it helps:
PDX-JFK flight #434 (737)
JFK-FLL flight #149 (MD8)
Thanks

Last edited by CVO 1K 2 Million; Oct 1, 2007 at 8:18 pm
Old Oct 1, 2007, 8:57 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Did you check with DL's partners if you could find better availiability?

JFK has only 2 DL terminals (T2 and T3). Both combined are quite small. I'd suggest getting a wheelchair assist if at all possible. It's not a pleasant terminal to walk through in any case.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 4:51 am

Programs: AA Plat, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamon
You should have no problem getting wheel chair assist. Also, if there's a delay and the connection window becomes shorter, I've seen them put folks onto golf carts and drive them to their next connection in a pinch.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 4:56 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Arrange for a wheelchair... JFK domestic to domestic will usually not involve the far end of terminal 3, but there is still a distance involved between T2 and T3.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 6:51 am

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
Arrange for a wheelchair... JFK domestic to domestic will usually not involve the far end of terminal 3, but there is still a distance involved between T2 and T3.
Please call ahead and make sure this is put into mom-in-law's record (need wheelchair assistance). If it is put into the record and the connection is missed, the airline is responsible (not that they aren't anyway, but it gives you [or them] a little more piece of mind).
Old Oct 2, 2007, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by griffinj
You should have no problem getting wheel chair assist.
Do you have personal experience doing this at JFK? I do, and rather than saying that it should be no problem, I'd say to be prepared for the worst. DL/JFK really need to get their act together as far as their wheelchair pushers are concerned.

Most other airports are no problem in this regard; JFK is pathetic.

Last edited by clarence5ybr; Oct 2, 2007 at 4:03 pm
Old Oct 22, 2007, 3:06 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
SQ-DL 1h20 connection at JFK.

SQ26 arrives at 10:50am. I'll be going through on a non-holiday Sunday fairly soon (within the next two months) and will be in F. I also am a GM so will have access to elite security lines and will not have any checked baggage.

I want to connect to the 12:20 JFK-DFW DL flight (which has been closing at 12:10 more frequently than not). Is this connection possible? One thing that may hurt me; as of Nov 1 that route looks to be going from Shuttle America to Freedom/F8.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.