FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/54969-minimum-connection-transfer-time-new-york-jfk-definitive-thread.html)

fcrit Aug 10, 2002 11:03 am

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

I've mapped out a trip involving a change at JFK from Delta to CSA. The connection time is 1hr 40 min, on a Saturday afternoon-evening, but since this is an award trip I don't want to run into a chance of missing the JFK-PRG flight and having to fight for a later flight.

I see from the JFK website that both DL and OK are in Terminal 3. Has anyone made this connection, and is 1hr 40 min enough for any baggage, immigration, etc. tasks?

RobertS975 Aug 10, 2002 11:24 am

You should have no problem whatsoever assuming inbound is ontime.

rcs85551 Aug 10, 2002 5:00 pm

DL does the ground handling for OK, so you should have no problem.

Jac747 Mar 19, 2003 11:43 am

SAA to DL connection time at JFK

I know SAA and Delta are in the same terminal at JFK but is slightly more than an hour enough time to connect after coming in from an international flt? It's a supposedly legal connection time but I don't want to lose our 3 BE seats for the flt back to LAX! Thanks

Air Brian Mar 19, 2003 12:50 pm

The three times I've been on this flight it has arrived at least 45 minutes early due to a quick turn-around on the refueling stop. This is not to say that this will always happen. Also, the early morning has, in my experience, been a pretty slow time in the Int'l terminal. I think you'll be fine.

Robert Leach Mar 19, 2003 3:31 pm

From personal experience, let me second the opinion that there is virtually no incoming traffic in the Delta terminal at JFK that time of morning, so I don't think you'll have a problem. Plus, also from personal observation, loads on the SAA flights JNB-JFK are much lighter than those to ATL (only around 125 people earlier this month JNB-JFK), so you won't likely have a full 747 to compete with.

Aircfo Feb 3, 2005 12:55 pm

JFK connection-- how tight?

Hello, I am booked on a flight in a few weeks from BOS-JFK-FCO... As it currently stands, delta put me on a 3:30PM flight out of BOS arriving at JFK at 4:42 PM. The connecting flight to FCO departs at 5:45 PM.

Delta considers this a legal connection. Is this too tight a connection, or will it be fine? I don't know offhand what terminal the flights are in an out of.

I've had to run to catch flights in the past, but I just want to know if I should consider trying to change the flight into JFK.

Thanks

NHFL9 Feb 3, 2005 1:20 pm

I would try and go earlier if you can since there is only 1 DL fight a day to FCO, wouldn't want to chance it.

RSSrsvp Feb 3, 2005 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Aircfo
Hello, I am booked on a flight in a few weeks from BOS-JFK-FCO... As it currently stands, delta put me on a 3:30PM flight out of BOS arriving at JFK at 4:42 PM. The connecting flight to FCO departs at 5:45 PM.

Delta considers this a legal connection. Is this too tight a connection, or will it be fine? I don't know offhand what terminal the flights are in an out of.

I've had to run to catch flights in the past, but I just want to know if I should consider trying to change the flight into JFK.

Thanks

The flight before that is DL5704 which departs at 12:26 and arrives at 1:38. Hopefully the weather will be ok and your 3:30 flight leaves on time. You really don't have many options unless you switch to that earlier flight and kill a few hours at JFK.

vinnmann Feb 3, 2005 1:43 pm

Deleted

remyontheroad Feb 3, 2005 1:56 pm

No Problem

I agree that you should have no problem navigating the terminals at JFK, even in the worst case, if you are a bit late, and dragging a rollaboard and have to get between 2 and 3, it's just a long corridor. No buses, trams or anything.

Should be no problem.

Now if it was an hour on the reverse trip, with customs and baggage claim - no way!

Aircfo Feb 3, 2005 5:49 pm

thanks for the responses. I thought it would be fine too, but when there are only so many flights, it's best to know for sure. I'm very much looking forward to the trip because i've been to many other cities around Italy except for Rome.

thanks again

vinnmann Feb 4, 2005 6:44 am

Deleted

RobertS975 Feb 4, 2005 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Rssrsvp
The flight before that is DL5704 which departs at 12:26 and arrives at 1:38. Hopefully the weather will be ok and your 3:30 flight leaves on time. You really don't have many options unless you switch to that earlier flight and kill a few hours at JFK.

The other day, I posted a lament on the close connections between BOS and JFK and these flights were the example. Problem is ramp congestion at JFK and the several minutes they kill putting the planeside luggage out. Then a bus ride to the terminal at JFK. It is a lousy connection at best, and a miss if the weather is at all crappy.

There should be a 230 departure from BOS to allow comfy connections to the 530PM JFK Europe bank of flights.

iflyual Jul 7, 2005 9:01 pm

JFK connection and security time question

Hi,
This Tuesday (7/12) my friends will be flying ATL-JFK arriving around 4:20 pm and then connecting JFK-AMS leaving around 6:20 pm. I think it may be the same plane using the same gate in Terminal 2. I was thinking of driving to Kennedy to have a very quick visit with them. Will they have enough time to go into the main terminal for a while and then get back through security to their gate? Would we be able to have a quick meal? How long is the security wait at T2?
Thanks.