Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF these are the MCTs for JFK:
DL to DL Connections
  • D-D: 35 minutes
  • D-I: 45 minutes except 55 minutes if connecting to HAV.
  • I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland, AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour 55 minutes if coming from HAV. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-D times above apply.
  • I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland or AUA; 45 minutes if coming from BDA, FPO, or NAS; 2 hours if arriving on a DL-marketed flight that arrives into Terminal 1. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-I times above apply.
DL to/from AF
  • DL to AF, D-I: 1 hour 40 minutes until 11/23/23; 1 hour 15 minutes starting 11/24/23
  • DL to AF, I-I: 2 hours
  • AF to DL, I-D: 2 hours 15 minutes until 12/31/23; 1 hour 45 minutes starting 1/1/24
  • AF to DL, I-I: 2 hours
DL to/from KL
  • DL to KL, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to KL, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
DL to/from VS:
  • DL to VS, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to VS, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
Other connections
LA to DL I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes until 7/21/23, 1 hour 35 minutes starting 7/22/23.
LA to DL I-I: 1 hour 30 minutes

Generic online and offline:
D-D: 1 hour
D-I: 1 hour 15 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 45 minutes
I-I: 2 hours
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2007, 3:09 pm
Suspended

If SQ is ontime, you should be fine. On a Sunday morning, I expect it will even be early. My only concern is that the AirTrain may not run as often on Sunday, but I guess you can always walk it, since DL is right next door?
Old Oct 22, 2007, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Crossposting. Crossposting by starting a new thread after having received two answers (in less than 30 minutes) to the original post.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 10:03 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Duly noted. However it's not a crosspost. The question differs in a very crucial way; specifically regarding Shuttle America vs. Freedom Air. That's something i can't expect to learn in SQ. Sorry if you're unhappy with this. You are, of course, welcome to use the Report Bad Post function. Oh, and thank you for contributing to the discussion (or not).
Old Oct 22, 2007, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
If SQ is ontime, you should be fine. On a Sunday morning, I expect it will even be early. My only concern is that the AirTrain may not run as often on Sunday, but I guess you can always walk it, since DL is right next door?
Thank you sir! It is right next door and if I'm reading the maps properly the 'all terminals' circuit runs in the proper direction to allow for hopping from T4 to T3.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 8:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kanebear
Thank you sir! It is right next door and if I'm reading the maps properly the 'all terminals' circuit runs in the proper direction to allow for hopping from T4 to T3.
Honestly, I find the JFK AirTrain very confusing, but it must be my limited brain power. I'd prolly just walk, unless you have tonnes of bags. Either way, I expect you to be fine. Can SQ check you in for DL in FRA? I know they partner...
Old Oct 23, 2007, 9:31 am

Programs: TK/QR Gold, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, Avis/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kanebear
Yeah, one of them definitely runs in the right direction so its a very short ride. Shorter than the wait.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
If I recall correctly, the train that goes from T4 to T2/T3 is the inter-terminal train, so even if you miss the stop, it's just a quick 5-8 minute loop. I think the trains that run to Jamaica/Howard Beach are the ones that go from T1 up to T9, so if you got on that train, you'd be going far out of the way.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 10:20 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

However, the problem with the train with the DL terminal (2 & 3) is that it doesn't stop anywhere near the terminal itself - you still have to walk a convoluted path to the terminal. We did this back in April coming off EK connecting to DL.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 11:00 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by mersk862
If I recall correctly, the train that goes from T4 to T2/T3 is the inter-terminal train, so even if you miss the stop, it's just a quick 5-8 minute loop. I think the trains that run to Jamaica/Howard Beach are the ones that go from T1 up to T9, so if you got on that train, you'd be going far out of the way.
That's correct; the inter-terminal goes from T4 to T2/T3.

Originally Posted by peteropny
However, the problem with the train with the DL terminal (2 & 3) is that it doesn't stop anywhere near the terminal itself - you still have to walk a convoluted path to the terminal. We did this back in April coming off EK connecting to DL..
It's not that bad if you're trying to get to T3...it's just a walk up the escalator, a walk across the 'skybridge' and then an elevator ride down to the check-in level for T3...not much longer than the walk from the AirTrain to AA's Terminal 9. T2 however is not too easily accessible as one would have to walk outside through a parking lot and cross the road...
Old Oct 23, 2007, 3:59 pm

Programs: DL FO,Starwood Gold, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Nexus & Global Entry
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
T2 however is not too easily accessible as one would have to walk outside through a parking lot and cross the road...
Actually, you can get to T2 by using the same route to T3, and instead of going into the building, you can use the sidewalk to T2, and just have to cross one road. OR you can just check in, inside of T3, and use the inside walkway to T2
Old Oct 23, 2007, 4:03 pm

Programs: AS Gold/SPG Gold/Hertz PC
One thing that might work to your advantage is the fact that (I think) there is a lot of padding in SQ's schedule. People that I've had to pick-up @ JFK arriving on that flight from FRA have always been early (b/w 30-45 mins on average).
Old Oct 26, 2007, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by ashaboe
One thing that might work to your advantage is the fact that (I think) there is a lot of padding in SQ's schedule. People that I've had to pick-up @ JFK arriving on that flight from FRA have always been early (b/w 30-45 mins on average).

Thank you very much to everyone. That's my hope... light travel day +schedule padding hopefully will equal plenty of time to connect. Hopefully I'll even have time to shower before departure. Thank you AMEX... DL CRC and AA's AC all in one.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 6:22 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold SPG Gold National Executive Avis Preferred Hertz Gold
Enough time to make connection at JFK?

If I arrive at JFK on a commuter at gate 25--is 37 minutes enough time to get to gate 2--keeping in mind that the flight closes 10 minutes before departure? Thanks for your help.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 7:49 am

Programs: Delta PM, AA Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Priority Club Platinum
If you arrive on time you should be able to make that connection. Terminal 2 and 3 are connected inside security.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by derby44
If I arrive at JFK on a commuter at gate 25--is 37 minutes enough time to get to gate 2--keeping in mind that the flight closes 10 minutes before departure? Thanks for your help.
At JFK you are supposed to be at the gate 15 minutes prior to departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.