Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF these are the MCTs for JFK:
DL to DL Connections
  • D-D: 35 minutes
  • D-I: 45 minutes except 55 minutes if connecting to HAV.
  • I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland, AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour 55 minutes if coming from HAV. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-D times above apply.
  • I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland or AUA; 45 minutes if coming from BDA, FPO, or NAS; 2 hours if arriving on a DL-marketed flight that arrives into Terminal 1. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-I times above apply.
DL to/from AF
  • DL to AF, D-I: 1 hour 40 minutes until 11/23/23; 1 hour 15 minutes starting 11/24/23
  • DL to AF, I-I: 2 hours
  • AF to DL, I-D: 2 hours 15 minutes until 12/31/23; 1 hour 45 minutes starting 1/1/24
  • AF to DL, I-I: 2 hours
DL to/from KL
  • DL to KL, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to KL, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
DL to/from VS:
  • DL to VS, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to VS, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
Other connections
LA to DL I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes until 7/21/23, 1 hour 35 minutes starting 7/22/23.
LA to DL I-I: 1 hour 30 minutes

Generic online and offline:
D-D: 1 hour
D-I: 1 hour 15 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 45 minutes
I-I: 2 hours
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2023, 8:55 pm

Programs: Fying Blue Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Silver Elite, Hilton Silver
Thanks for the quick replies, good to know at least I dont need to drag my luggage between the terminals.
I will check with AF or DL if I could get a flight with DL instead.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 4:08 am

Hi All,

Trying to book a self-connecting flight - flying in from Las Vegas landing at 7.29 PM with JetBlue and then departing for Dublin with Aer Lingus at 9.10 PM on a Friday evening...is that enough time to connect at JFK?
Old Nov 28, 2023, 5:57 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by vvkuyck
Trying to book a self-connecting flight - flying in from Las Vegas landing at 7.29 PM with JetBlue and then departing for Dublin with Aer Lingus at 9.10 PM on a Friday evening...is that enough time to connect at JFK?
FYI, you posted to the Delta forum, you may get better answers in another forum.

That said, jetBlue uses Terminal 5 while Aer Lingus now uses Terminal 7. (Previously they used T5 which might have resulted in a different answer.) There are a number of things working against you here, including jetBlue's questionable operational reliability, JFK's general tendency for delays to increase as the day goes on, the AirTrain's unreliability during construction, and the likelihood that Aer Lingus would not be required to help you if you misconnect. Add in additional complications if you were to check baggage, and I would definitely not consider this on separate tickets.

Some may chime in to point out that 1:40 is plenty of time to exit T5, transfer to T7, and clear security again, though you also need to reduce that by 15-20 minutes since you generally must be present at the gate several minutes before it closes. You basically have very little margin for error, which might be ok if you have a high risk tolerance.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 10:23 am

AUS-JFK on July 4 arriving at 11:59 in economy. Departing JFK at 1:30pm on JL5 in F. Is this enough time?
Old Dec 5, 2023, 10:35 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Assuming the AUS-JFK flight is on DL, you'd have to leave T4, take the AirTrain to T8, take a shuttle bus to T1 (the T1 AirTrain station is out of service, necessitating this extra step), and reclear security. You *might* make it, but everything would have to go absolutely perfectly, and I wouldn't even think about risking a JL F ticket on that.
diverg likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by diverg
AUS-JFK on July 4 arriving at 11:59 in economy. Departing JFK at 1:30pm on JL5 in F. Is this enough time?
July 2024? Your AUS-JFK schedule would probably be changed 5 times before then…but 90 minutes to change terminals on separate tickets and especially when going to an international flight with a non-US airline is going to be tight….
Old Jan 5, 2024, 7:46 pm

Hi Everyone! I would appreciate some thoughts on this since it'll be my first time departing from JFK abroad.

I'm planning to get a DFW-JFK (Delta) arriving at 12:13 to get a JFK-BOG (Avianca) departing 14:20 on Sun Jan 21st. Non-US passport with checked luggage. Is safe?

The other option would be arriving at LGA at 10:30 and then a taxi to JFK. Always problematic to change airports but in a Sunday would be easier, I think.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 8:16 am

Programs: Delta skymiles
Hello

I have Flight landing from Madrid to JFK , terminal 2 at 12:30. What are the realistic chances of me making a flight out of La Guardia at 3:30. I have Global Entry. Would an Uber/taxi be faster then the shuttle? Thanks for any advice
Old Jan 22, 2024, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by eveleigh4
Hello

I have Flight landing from Madrid to JFK , terminal 2 at 12:30. What are the realistic chances of me making a flight out of La Guardia at 3:30. I have Global Entry. Would an Uber/taxi be faster then the shuttle? Thanks for any advice
Terminal 2 has been torn down. Even before was only domestic. Are you on DL? T4 is where arrive.

Regardless no, yiu won't make it. With bags, this just isn't feasible. I'd plan on 45-60 minutes for drive at a minimum, likely bit longer. Plus checkin/security/being at gate at T-15, etc.

Without bags, possibly. Bags at JFK international frequenfrequently take up to 40 minutes to come out. One of slowest IME in US.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 6:34 am

Programs: Delta skymiles
Yes, terminal 4, thank you for the advice. I'll look at a different route.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 6:58 pm

Programs: Primarily Hilton & Delta
Flying EDI-JFK-ATL in April with the family, including a 5 year old. All DL metal. Current layover is 3 hrs 40 min in JFK due to a recent schedule change. There is an earlier JFK-ATL flight that would cut the layover down to 2 hrs. Trying to decide if this is reasonable with some checked luggage and a kid to bother changing. My wife and I both have global entry, but the kid doesn’t so that is moot. But I understand mobile passport speeds things up considerably?
Old Apr 11, 2024, 11:18 am

JFK T7 International to T4 Domestic MCT Carry-On

Excuse me but i can't seem to delete my post, except edit. I didn't get any reply from the community regarding my post.

Last edited by umomar; Apr 20, 2024 at 4:09 am Reason: Forgot some details

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.