Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF these are the MCTs for JFK:
DL to DL Connections
  • D-D: 35 minutes
  • D-I: 45 minutes except 55 minutes if connecting to HAV.
  • I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland, AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour 55 minutes if coming from HAV. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-D times above apply.
  • I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland or AUA; 45 minutes if coming from BDA, FPO, or NAS; 2 hours if arriving on a DL-marketed flight that arrives into Terminal 1. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-I times above apply.
DL to/from AF
  • DL to AF, D-I: 1 hour 40 minutes until 11/23/23; 1 hour 15 minutes starting 11/24/23
  • DL to AF, I-I: 2 hours
  • AF to DL, I-D: 2 hours 15 minutes until 12/31/23; 1 hour 45 minutes starting 1/1/24
  • AF to DL, I-I: 2 hours
DL to/from KL
  • DL to KL, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to KL, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
DL to/from VS:
  • DL to VS, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to VS, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
Other connections
LA to DL I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes until 7/21/23, 1 hour 35 minutes starting 7/22/23.
LA to DL I-I: 1 hour 30 minutes

Generic online and offline:
D-D: 1 hour
D-I: 1 hour 15 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 45 minutes
I-I: 2 hours
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2007, 8:30 am

Programs: DL PM, DL 2MM, UA 1P, AS, HH, SPG, Marriott Gold
Recent DL 17 Connection Experience at JFK

I'm returning from BOM in a couple of weeks on DL 17 and need to make a connection at JFK. The normal arrival time for DL 17 is 6:55AM. The connection (mainline DL) is at 8:30AM. Assuming DL 17 arrives on time (which is always suspect these days), is it reasonable to make an 8:30AM connection? I'll be flying BE so should be off the plane quickly.

Thanks for the help.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 9:16 am

Programs: DL FC, NW
If it is a legal connection, you should make it. Of course, the flight has to arrive ontime, bags out fairly quickly and there shouldn't be much of a line at immigration that time of the morning. I'm sure DL will out you on the next flight if you don't make it.

Good luck.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by USCGamecock
I'm sure DL will out you on the next flight if you don't make it.
What does DL have to "out" the OP for?
Old Mar 12, 2007, 8:44 am

Programs: AA EP, UA1K, SPG PLAT
1hr45min JFK Int'l Connection

Will I make it? Arriving from Athens I will have 1hr45min for Customs...Immigration....Luggage.....

Athens --- JFK --- MCO ---

I am a little worried about it......
Old Mar 12, 2007, 8:50 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
More than fine for a US citizen; should be ok for non-US as well.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 1:48 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Agree... assuming first flight is on time, you should have no issues. No time to waste, but you should get to the next flight as they are starting to board, 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure.
Old May 15, 2007, 1:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
Intl-->domestic connection at JFK

if you are arriving on a DL international flight at JFK and connecting to DL domestic - once you've cleared customs and re-checked the baggage, do you have to go back through the main security line in T3 or is there a separate one for connecting passengers?
Old May 15, 2007, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG
You do not need to go back thru the main security line. There is a special security line right after clearing customs with your bags.
Old May 15, 2007, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by cmh flyer
You do not need to go back thru the main security line. There is a special security line right after clearing customs with your bags.
great, thanks. I have a 2 hour connection, which I guess should be enough DL-->DL
Old May 15, 2007, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by irmster
I have a 2 hour connection, which I guess should be enough DL-->DL
Depends on the immigration queue. My longest wait times (up to 90 min in the worst instance) when entering the US have always been at JFK, nowhere near at any other point of entry
Old May 16, 2007, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by noturbulence
Depends on the immigration queue. My longest wait times (up to 90 min in the worst instance) when entering the US have always been at JFK, nowhere near at any other point of entry
I've always found LAX to be the worst.
Old May 16, 2007, 7:28 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by noturbulence
Are you talking about the Visitors or US Citizens lines? I have never had more than a 20-25 minute wait in the queue for US Citizen immigration at T3 even when there were multiple TATL flights arriving at the same time....
Old May 16, 2007, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
Are you talking about the Visitors or US Citizens lines?
Apologies for not being more precise - I was talking about the Visitors line
Old May 17, 2007, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA PremExec, AA Gold, DL Silver
Angry

I have to add that since the huge boost in DL Intl. services at JFK, if you arrive at the same time as a bunch of other flights they are COMPLETELY overwhelmed. The last two times I was through there (about six months ago, so it might have been fixed now - I saw they were doing some construction) there were near riots as one poor minimum-wage 'security' person tried to tell one flight to wait in the corridor while another, 'earlier' flight went down the escalators to the Immigration queue. Just too many people with no system set up and no personnel to handle them. I am very glad to be coming back into ATL on my next trip. However, 2 hours should be enough if your incoming flight is not too late. Just don't expect it to be very pleasant!
Old May 17, 2007, 7:41 pm

Programs: Delta
I had a rare glitch free return from LGW yesterday 5/16 to JFK.

Was worried about the incoming cold front which was setting off some major storms and did not want to get stuck in the airport forever. I also had a relatively tight (for JFK) connection of 1:45...not much when on international connecting to domestic.

Left LGW on time and had a nice flight in BizE. The cabin was nearly empty and it seemed like the 10 of us up front had run of the cabin. Arrived JFK on DL4 exactly on time. I'm guessing DL4 is one of the first international flights that arrive JFK.

Arrived security and I'm at the front of the line. Breeze through...the bags were already on the claim when I got there. First security line was closed so go up the elevator to the other...#3 in line...breeze through and head to gate 25...flight home running on time so head up to the BizE room in T2..have a sit down. Go down and get on my flight...leave on time and arrive home on time...ahead of the weather.

Colleague of mine hits the weather and doesn't get home until 2 a.m.

Rare day yesterday...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.