Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF these are the MCTs for JFK:
DL to DL Connections
  • D-D: 35 minutes
  • D-I: 45 minutes except 55 minutes if connecting to HAV.
  • I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland, AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour 55 minutes if coming from HAV. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-D times above apply.
  • I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland or AUA; 45 minutes if coming from BDA, FPO, or NAS; 2 hours if arriving on a DL-marketed flight that arrives into Terminal 1. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-I times above apply.
DL to/from AF
  • DL to AF, D-I: 1 hour 40 minutes until 11/23/23; 1 hour 15 minutes starting 11/24/23
  • DL to AF, I-I: 2 hours
  • AF to DL, I-D: 2 hours 15 minutes until 12/31/23; 1 hour 45 minutes starting 1/1/24
  • AF to DL, I-I: 2 hours
DL to/from KL
  • DL to KL, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to KL, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
DL to/from VS:
  • DL to VS, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to VS, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
Other connections
LA to DL I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes until 7/21/23, 1 hour 35 minutes starting 7/22/23.
LA to DL I-I: 1 hour 30 minutes

Generic online and offline:
D-D: 1 hour
D-I: 1 hour 15 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 45 minutes
I-I: 2 hours
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2008, 8:12 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
Terminals 2-3 are connected post security, no prob going from any DL gate to any DL gate.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 2:55 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
O.k., so I ended up taking the original routing with the 45 minute connection time in JFK. Of course, once I boarded the plane in ATL, the captain announces that we're under a 45 minute ground stop due to air traffic at JFK. Damn.

Somehow, we get that reduced to a 30 minute ground stop, and the captain makes up another 15 minutes in the air, so I'm 15 minutes late and have 30 minutes to make my flight. Once I landed, I find that the JFK-DKR-CPT flight is boarding. Of course, the gate is the furthest one away, so I sprint for it.

I get there as they're boarding the last zones. I handed over my boarding pass, and it beeps in the machine. I go to see the gate agent to see what's up, and she says, "Oh, Mr. Escog, we've been looking for you." Really? "Yes, we've upgraded you to business class. Enjoy your flight, Mr. Escog."

So, I ended up scoring the Operational Upgrade from JFK to CPT - an 18-hour flight. God really must look out for fools.

Btw, they must have op' up'd about a dozen people on that flight (most of them late arriving) - a lot of pleasantly surprised people up front.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL GM
you da man.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 3:17 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Nice - congrats!!! They must have been really oversold in the back.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by escog
"Oh, Mr. Escog, we've been looking for you." Really? "Yes, we've upgraded you to business class. Enjoy your flight, Mr. Escog."
Oh wow! Congrats! Glad to know that it worked out and a 45 minute connection is possible!

Did you have checked baggage? Was 30 minutes enough time for them to transfer your bags between planes?
Old Jul 29, 2008, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Wow, talk about rewarding bad behaviour

Congrats!
Old Jul 29, 2008, 3:59 pm
fomerly CoachBoy

Programs: United Premier Platinum, British Airways Silver
It seems like the booking engine has some real issues doing the crossover at DKR. I've tried to dummy book ATL-CPT in the past and it invariably takes me via DCA->IAD, JFK-DKR-CPT. It doesn't even offer me the option of ATL-DKR-CPT. I've had some similar issues booking doing dummy bookings for ATL-AGP.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 2:59 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Burj
Oh wow! Congrats! Glad to know that it worked out and a 45 minute connection is possible!

Did you have checked baggage? Was 30 minutes enough time for them to transfer your bags between planes?
No checked baggage. I knew with a 45 minute connection that I didn't want to take a risk. So, I had two bags - about 20-25 lbs. each - which made that sprint to the gate that much harder.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by escog
No checked baggage. I knew with a 45 minute connection that I didn't want to take a risk. So, I had two bags - about 20-25 lbs. each - which made that sprint to the gate that much harder.
Cool! Another good example that "less is more" in terms of luggage! Glad you were able to get two big bags on the cabin as carry-on!
Old Sep 8, 2008, 8:29 am

Question DL Flights - Connection In JFK

I have a DL domestic flight arriving in Terminal 2 at JFK and the connecting international DL flight is out of Terminal 3. Will I be required to go through TSA security at JFK? Thanks much in advance.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 8:31 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
No. There is an airside walkway between T2 and T3.

On your return, however, you will be required to go thru security after baggage claim and customs (as on all international-domestic connections at US point of entry).
Old Sep 8, 2008, 9:09 am

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by mehtaym
I have a DL domestic flight arriving in Terminal 2 at JFK and the connecting international DL flight is out of Terminal 3.
How do you know? Unless you're flying in the next two days and your gates are already assigned, there's no way to tell in advance which "terminal" you'll be using. (Indeed, gate assignments at JFK change several times per day, even once they are assigned.)

It's really rather pointless to think of the JFK facilities as two different terminals. It's basically two clusters of gates, most of which are capable of international OR domestic flights.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 9:34 am

Programs: DL Silver
We have a four hour layover at JFK connecting from a domestic to an international flight. Are there any restaurants or news stands in Terminal 3? We're flying BE so we can use the Crown Room. The other flight that we could have taken from FLL leaves only 1 hr. & 20 min. which would be o.k. for a domestic connection, but I'm afraid to take the chance of a delayed flight.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 10:15 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by joan24
We have a four hour layover at JFK connecting from a domestic to an international flight. Are there any restaurants or news stands in Terminal 3? We're flying BE so we can use the Crown Room. The other flight that we could have taken from FLL leaves only 1 hr. & 20 min. which would be o.k. for a domestic connection, but I'm afraid to take the chance of a delayed flight.
You are wise to err on the side of caution regarding JFK connection time. And yes, there are a number of options in T3 (and in T2). With your connection time, you should have the opportunity to check them out. You could also check out the three CRC's in T3 and the one CRC in T2 (my favorite).
Old Sep 8, 2008, 10:20 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by ecaarch
You are wise to err on the side of caution regarding JFK connection time. And yes, there are a number of options in T3 (and in T2). With your connection time, you should have the opportunity to check them out. You could also check out the three CRC's in T3 and the one CRC in T2 (my favorite).
And, unless things have changed with the rebranding of the BE lounges, the CRC (Former BE lounges) do have food available for grazing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.