Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon Award Travel Using Delta Air Lines SkyMiles: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Honeymoon Award Travel Using Delta Air Lines SkyMiles: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2005, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by BumpMe!
Dave, be careful posting so much detailed information about your travels here.
...There's no telling what some people might do with it.
I see this caution given from time to time here at FT. Just what could someone do that would cause some harm?
Old Jan 24, 2005, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by campy
I have learned much (bump strategies, best seats, GREAT Cholula sauce) and continue to read and expand my horizons.
Do we have to continually put up with this crap?
Old Jan 24, 2005, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
United still has intra-hawaii awards (on Aloha) for 5K miles RT. If you have any "orphaned" miles there, that 's a great use of the miles. If you have points in something you can transfer into United (like Diner's club or marriott rewards), you might consider it.

Just a thought...

Billy
Old Jan 24, 2005, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by indufan
Do we have to continually put up with this crap?
There's no escape. Cholula's reception in WN board was less than *hot*.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP
...duh...

Last edited by andrewp; Jan 26, 2005 at 7:15 pm
Old Jan 24, 2005, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by andrewp
I was thinking of buying 2A on the ABQ-SLC segments and kicking his seat the entire way.
It wasn't that funny the first time, much less the second.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
Definitely check out the Hyatt & Hawaii boards. Just flew back from 4 nights Hyatt Waikiki last night. You want Diamond Head Tower / Diamond Head View - hopefully in Regency Club, as it's one of the best around. Best views are from any rooms ending in -61 - preferably 30'ish & higher (RC begins on 35).

Alan Wong's is excellent. This time, however, we did some different things - the 6 course tasting menu paired with wine at Chef Mavro's truly amazing - a charming chef who puts his all into every dish. If you're younger, the Diamond Head Grill at the W is excellent (well, you don't have to be younger for that...), but go on a Fri or Sat when the place turns into the most happening club in town. The Colony Surf restaurant at the Hyatt is usually very good - I wasn't hungry our last night, but had the ahi appetizer sampler - huge portions of the freshest ever ahi sashimi, best poke I've ever had (no jokes please ) & a seared ahi. Delicious!! Make any spa reservations well in advance - gets booked up very quickly.

Hyatt Kauai is gorgeous - love their Anara Spa! This is the place to go to Roy's, the most famous restaurants from Hawaii - lots of fun in Poipu & don't miss the chocolate lava cake! Happy Honeymoon!
Old Jan 27, 2005, 12:41 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Rent convertibles.

Guidebooks: The "Revealed" Series is excellent. (Maui Revealed, Hawaii Revealed, etc.)

Islands: I recommend very little time on Oahu. It is cosmopolitan. Maybe stay there one night upon arrival. Or just see Pearl Harbor before flying out at night. Diamondhead is good too. I highly recommend Maui for incredible driving tours (convertible a must!) and The Big Island for its mix of resorts (Kona side) and volcano (closer to Hilo).
Old Jan 28, 2005, 12:18 pm

Programs: CO PLAT, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, NW, AA, UA
Originally Posted by Delta3MM
United still has intra-hawaii awards (on Aloha) for 5K miles RT. If you have any "orphaned" miles there, that 's a great use of the miles. If you have points in something you can transfer into United (like Diner's club
doesn't NW also have 5K mileage awards on Hawaiian? That's what I did 6 months ago... Very nice!
Old Feb 2, 2005, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Delta3MM
United still has intra-hawaii awards (on Aloha) for 5K miles RT. If you have any "orphaned" miles there, that 's a great use of the miles. If you have points in something you can transfer into United (like Diner's club or marriott rewards), you might consider it.
As someone also planning a Hawaii honeymoon with spare United Miles (booked award reservations today!), this is great news. But since I have at least a ticket's worth with 30K, may not be worthwhile to make the account totally useless. Any idea if they allow you not to go roundtrip? We're flying into Maui and then going to Kaui and then need to get to Honolulu for our trip home.
Old Feb 6, 2005, 5:24 pm

Hawaii Honeymoon- Best way to GO?

Hello all, i just got engaged and we want to honeymoon in Hawaii May 23-June 4, traveling out of atl. I have never been and want to go to several islands and fly first class. I have enough skymiles but am interested in folks' advice on:
1. Which island is best to fly to on delta.
2 What's the best way to get first class- miles, upgrade, etc.
Thanks.
Old Feb 6, 2005, 6:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by trey
Hello all, i just got engaged and we want to honeymoon in Hawaii May 23-June 4, traveling out of atl. I have never been and want to go to several islands and fly first class. I have enough skymiles but am interested in folks' advice on:
Thanks.

trey....welcome to FlyerTalk and congratulations on your upcoming marriage!
You've picked a beautiful location for your honeymoon. But be advised that Hawaii is a VERY popular destination and it is often difficult to score award seats unless done nearly a year in advance. You are only 100 days or so away from your trip so it might be smart to get on the phone asap and check availability for your dates. First-class is also very popular to Hawaii so you may be stuck in coach unless you have a LOT of Skymiles and are willing to use double for a pair of SkyChoice awards.
But sometimes award seats open at the last minute so if the seats are not available on the dates you want, call back daily. Plus you might also want to check on Continental and Northwest partner awards.
If you're willing to spend $1,500/ticket, you can buy discounted first class "A" fares and not have to mess with trying to get award seats.
DL flies to either Oahu or Maui. Reaching the other islands will require island hopping via Aloha or Hawaiian once you get to Hawaii.
Good luck!
Old Feb 6, 2005, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by trey
Thanks.

trey,
Welcome.

There is SkySaver availability for May 23 in First on DL 219 ATL-HNL and several available flights for your return date. First class will set you back 150,000 miles for the two tickets. This availability is showing right now on Delta.com.

There are also 2 SkySaver award seats available in First from ATL-OGG (Maui) if you can leave on May 24, returning on the date you want.

You may get additional availability by calling Delta directly.

I'd book it ASAP.....as Cholula indicated, this is a rare find on relatively short notice.

And, congratulations!

^

Last edited by flyerwife; Feb 6, 2005 at 7:08 pm Reason: add OGG info
Old Feb 6, 2005, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
Of course, there is more availability to HNL. But I greatly prefer Maui, particularly for a honeymoon. It's a little quieter, but still plenty to do. Plus you're closer to the big island, which IMO is worth a side trip.

If you're trying to be economical, rent a condo. There are many at a reasonable price on the beach.

Congratulations! I've been married for 37 years this year. It's worth the effort.
Old Feb 6, 2005, 8:31 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
Congrats! Some 17+ years ago I did the same thing! Maui is a wonderful island as are all of the islands. As to Delta, grabs those seats! They are rarely available in skysaver. Just remember you are flying on the dreaded 767-400, not a comfortable ride, even up front. Perhaps you might want to consider trying to get seats on a parter carrier.

Enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.