Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon Award Travel Using Delta Air Lines SkyMiles: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Honeymoon Award Travel Using Delta Air Lines SkyMiles: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2005, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Talking

Originally Posted by uthornsgo
Puerto Rico
In the ATL CR after it is closed
Old Jun 15, 2005, 1:02 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards A+; Marriott Gold; HHonors DIA
Question Honeymoon Advice: MSY to OGG - Delta via SLC w/ Seats 7E/F or Continental BF?

Travelling to Hawaii for honeymoon in mid-October. Currently have MSY-SLC-OGG ticketed (standard award - 75k miles each) in First, seats 7E/F. Final destination is KOA, so we will be taking HA inter-island.

Question is, is the difference between Delta & Continental's seats/service enough to pay the fee to switch to Continental? Or should we just keep our current tickets & seat assignments on Delta? Slightly better flight times flying Continental as well. The awards were ticketed using CO OnePass miles.

Thanks for any advice. Also, has anyone flown the SLC-OGG flight? What's the meal service like on this flight?
Old Jun 15, 2005, 1:22 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
YES! Switch to CO BF if it's available!!
Old Jun 15, 2005, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
I'd switch. My experiences with CO's BF far surpasses those of Delta's domestic F class...the seat is a lot more comfortable (it's a true international J seat...7 E/F are just domestic seats with legroom more or less)...I'd pay the fee and grab BF any day.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 1:46 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Harrah's Diamond; Hilton Diamond
CO to Hawaii

Take CO, you will be glad you did. Although meal service is not true BusinessFirst, the service is still good and the seats are very comfortable. CO also gives you a better movie/game selection on the seat back video.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 2:50 pm

Doesn't Delta have the worst up-front cabin seating to Hawaii?

Even with seats 7 E/F you have no leg rest. I think that the Delta seat is not comparable.

I will be using Delta in February to OGG, returning from HNL, but it is because I am getting two first class tickets for 100,000 miles under the old equity award system and just trying to use miles. Otherwise I would be flying CO or another carrier.

Of all the major carriers, it looks like Delta has the worst up-front cabin seating to Hawaii.

If you decide to still fly Delta I had a recent schedule change to Hawaii, and 7 E/F was no longer listed as my assigned seats from ATL-LAX-OGG. I called the Indian Call Center? and was able to have those seats reflected in my Delta on-line itinerary. So be aware of schedule changes.

Edited to add:

Just noticed a review of the Delta Hawaii flights. I am letting my Continental's President's Club membership expire at the end of September, I wonder if Delta still does NOT allow lounge lounge access for first class customers to Hawaii? Maybe that is another reason not to take DL FC to Hawaii, since I think most other carriers allow lounge access on the Hawaii flights for the up-front cabin customers? I guess it is better to find out what Delta offers in FC to Hawaii so on the day of travel you know what to expect and will not be surprised with a disappointment for those who decide to use Delta.

http://www.airlinequality.com/main/review_316.htm

Last edited by BF263533; Jun 15, 2005 at 3:20 pm
Old Jun 15, 2005, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by BF263533

Just noticed a review of the Delta Hawaii flights. I am letting my Continental's President's Club membership expire at the end of September, I wonder if Delta still does NOT allow lounge lounge access for first class customers to Hawaii? Maybe that is another reason not to take DL FC to Hawaii, since I think most other carriers allow lounge access on the Hawaii flights for the up-front cabin customers? I guess it is better to find out what Delta offers in FC to Hawaii so on the day of travel you know what to expect and will not be surprised with a disappointment for those who decide to use Delta.
Most (all?) domestic US carriers do not offer complimentary lounge access to first class customers going to Hawaii.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by Spiff
Most (all?) domestic US carriers do not offer complimentary lounge access to first class customers going to Hawaii.
To my knowledge, Delta and Northwest don't. Continental does. American doesn't have any lounges in Hawai'i (though I don't know if there's comp access).
Old Jun 15, 2005, 3:55 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards A+; Marriott Gold; HHonors DIA
Looks Like CO

Thanks for the replies. I had a feeling most would agree CO is the better option. Fortunately/Unfortunately the standard first availability changes daily, so I'll be playing roulette till i score the change.

Interestingly, the article referenced above mentioned 'cubes' for the crew rest seats... are these included on the plane if the seats are not being used for 'crew rest' on this particular flight.

For the lounge access, glad I have the AMEX Plat to allow us a refuge during connections. Thanks again for the feedback.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff

So you mean I have to go out now and get the AMEX plat card to get access?
Old Jun 15, 2005, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by BF263533
So you mean I have to go out now and get the AMEX plat card to get access?
According to Slippahs, you don't if you fly CO BF. If you fly UA, DL, or AA, I can tell you that you do not get lounge access.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 1:02 pm

Programs: PC Amb., BA Blue
NYC-ATL in T class Honeymoon Question

Well, I've booked 1st class tix (w/miles) on BA for my honeymoon in the USA, but the domestic flight one-way between 5th Avenue & the Blue Ridge Mountains is in T class currently, I don't know why I did it - is there anyways can be upgraded, maybe through Coupon Connection (we do have 30k DL miles btwn us though), or is only way to cancel & then re-book with no refund, or maybe, just maybe...and this would be great - I can call a friendly DL agent who'd let me pay the fare diff. to upgrade? That would make more sense, as to use miles or upgrade vouchers btwn. JFK & ATL doesn't like a good use, compared to SFO or SEA, let alone HNL or ANC.

Edited to add - jeez, I went through the website & said I can upgrade for 5k if full economy fare, but 10k for other applicable, unspecified fares - would have thought for sure could do the 10k one therefore. Apparently not though, the guy from some call centre in India just told me.

Last edited by tristan727; Jul 20, 2005 at 1:15 pm
Old Jul 20, 2005, 1:20 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Starwood GM
After experiencing BA First Class transatlantic, Delta First Class will resemble Easy Jet. The primary benefits will be wider seats, more legroom and free adult beverages. There will be no meal service.

Save your miles for a free ticket!
Old Jul 20, 2005, 1:22 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
I don't think you can upgrade LUT fares. I would suggest you just forget it and fly coach. It is not worth the money or the miles, and certainly not both, for a 2.5 hour garbage F flight.

Just curious: why didn't you book the award ticket to ATL? Changed your mind? No availability?
Old Jul 20, 2005, 1:43 pm

Programs: PC Amb., BA Blue
Originally Posted by JS
Just curious: why didn't you book the award ticket to ATL? Changed your mind? No availability?
We wanted to do both New York & Atlanta - if you know how to redeem between the 2 with 250k BA miles, & 15k each DL miles, let me know. Can't even use these BA miles on AA, as would need to redeem return - bizarre. Even if they did though redeem oneway- I wouldn't fly indirect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.