Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon Award Travel Using Delta Air Lines SkyMiles: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Honeymoon Award Travel Using Delta Air Lines SkyMiles: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2010, 9:20 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by N231LA
Unfortunately, they are SOL.
True as far as Ryan or DL should care about the issue.

The real issue here is to look for alternative Ryan flights and prepare to pay whatever change fee they request. I would go to the Ryan website and see what they say.

DL is no help here.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:02 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Flying Ryanair for their honeymoon. Sucks for them. Hope they enjoy their time in Dublin.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:17 pm

Unhappy Thanks, guys,

I was afraid you'd say that. Guess I'll get up in the middle of the night and try to call Ryanair.

If anyone has suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing them.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:51 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by cabdlg
I was afraid you'd say that. Guess I'll get up in the middle of the night and try to call Ryanair.

Having dealt with Ryanair you will be paying out the ... in fees. Look for other transport options.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 2:27 am

Programs: Delta SKYMILES GM 1MM, BRITISH AIRWAYS GOLD, HHONOURS DIAMOND, PRIORITY PASS
Originally Posted by cabdlg

Sad to say, you will get no sympathy from them. It may be cheaper to rebook the flight, where are they flying to?
Old May 18, 2011, 7:41 pm

Question Need Help Booking Award Travel to Maldives for Honeymoon

Hi all,

Looking to obviously not pay much for a flight to the Maldives. We're getting married in October around JAX, but also live in NYC. We'd spend a couple days internationally in a destination if it would be beneficial. Dates to leave either Oct 9th or 10th and return ball park 2 weeks.

Now to the points available to us:

I have approx 98,000 miles (although my 1800 Flowers Mother's Day points still haven't posted!?!). Also, I just was given a AMEX Centruion Card as my wedding gift , so I'm DL PM and can pick a gift (which ? $200, SWU or 20K points?). And I have a 006 $100 voucher from DL from screwing up a flight.

She has appx 70,000 miles, also Centurion CM and DL PM, and is willing to transfer 20,000 MR points.

Now, my mother also has 60,000 delta miles and is willing to transfer them to either one or split to both of us.

Can anyone give help / suggestions? I've been accumulating the miles for the honeymoon, so I'm willing to use them all. Also, is the SWU worth it for this or should I just choose $200 or 20K?

THANKS ALL!
Old May 18, 2011, 7:53 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by fanatic6711
Also, I just was given a AMEX Centruion Card as my wedding gift
Suga momma!!
Old May 18, 2011, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA 2P, DL, FL A+ Elite, AA
Seeing you're a newbie (at least in terms of posts)... have you considered hiring The Points Guy as your award travel agent?

http://thepointsguy.com/
Old May 18, 2011, 8:29 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, BA Gold, TK Elite
The lowest possible mileage for your trip in coach is 80,000 miles each. Based on the airlines that fly into Male, it looks like your best bet is to take AF/KL to India and then Kingfisher Airlines from Delhi to Male. It is going to be pretty hard to get the availability in the lowest class, but good luck.

If you're looking for an alternative, I would suggest the Seychelles. They are also in the Indian Ocean and you can take them on Air France from JFK-CDG-SEZ and availability is usually much easier.
Old May 18, 2011, 8:40 pm

Thanks, sheremetyevo, I did try thepointsguy, but he told me he was too busy at this time...
Old May 19, 2011, 11:39 am

Programs: DL GM, SW A-List, Hyatt PL
Why not SU or CZ?

Originally Posted by TechMarauder
The lowest possible mileage for your trip in coach is 80,000 miles each. Based on the airlines that fly into Male, it looks like your best bet is to take AF/KL to India and then Kingfisher Airlines from Delhi to Male. It is going to be pretty hard to get the availability in the lowest class, but good luck.

If you're looking for an alternative, I would suggest the Seychelles. They are also in the Indian Ocean and you can take them on Air France from JFK-CDG-SEZ and availability is usually much easier.
You can fly CZ through CAN or SU through SVO to MLE for the same 40K miles. I know CZ is a pain to get confirmation, but the product is really good.
Old May 19, 2011, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by fanatic6711
Dates to leave either Oct 9th or 10th and return ball park 2 weeks.
If your departure date has that little flexibility and you want to book in advance (rather than calling 5x weekly, right up to a month before the wedding), your award search will likely terminate unsuccesfully, and quickly. Two dates for outbound travel by no means meets the imperative 'Be flexible' in award planning.

You could likely find an award (with some work if you demand Low mileage band) to a European or Asian gateway city, then continue on purchased tickets, but that complicates things in case of IROPS (and you might not save all that much money).
Old May 19, 2011, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA Exec plat, DL gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Having just booked this trip myself, Malaysian Airlines through KUL may be your best bet. There was tons of availability on their LAX-KUL flight (has a stop in TPE,) the KUL-MLE flight took a little more searching but there is tons of availability if you have patience and are a little more flexible.

You will probably have a harder time trying to find JFK to LAX at low level.
Also keep in mind MH will hit you with a large YQ (fuel). It was 600ish per person at least in J class.

good luck
Old Nov 11, 2011, 9:35 am

Award Travel for Honeymoon (JFK-FCO and ATH-JFK)

Hoping to spend a week in Italy and a week in the Greek islands in Fall 2012. We'd prefer to fly out of and back into JFK but other spots along the east coast are acceptable (EWR, IAD, ATL).

What's the cheapest way to get two business seats on miles? Any tips or tricks? Lastly, this might be over-doing my request a bit but... anyway to get on an A380? Maybe on the way home through CDG? Thanks for any help.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 9:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
I've done JFK-CDG-BLQ with the TATL leg on the 380... it's not that hard to find award seats on the JFK-CDG leg, and shouldn't be an issue getting the CDG-FCO and ATH-CDG legs...

Though consider that connecting in CDG is nothing less than a nightmare!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.