Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon Award Travel Using Delta Air Lines SkyMiles: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2001, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold

I am getting married next May in LA and would appreciate the insight of my fellow DL board members as to possible romantic honeymoon destinations where I can redeem my Skymiles and of course be able to get some upgradeable seat inventory. Somewhere in the Pacific would be the logical choice since the wedding is California, however, I am open to all ideas. We will be flying JFK-LAX for the wedding and eventually return to NYC.

If you have any recommendations as to the hotels at your favorite romantic location, please list them also.

Again the key is to be able to redeem my Skymiles and also be able to obtain B/E seating on DL or equivalent seating on a DL partner for the trip.
Old Aug 6, 2001, 10:13 pm

1.Maldive Islands on Malaysia Airlines
2.Tahiti on Air France.
Old Aug 7, 2001, 6:19 am

Programs: DL DM&MM, DL KMwannabe, HH, AA, TG,
Romantic is, surprise, a might personal quality. Will you accpet small local air costs? Trekking as only a couple and a guide in N. Thailand can be wonderfully romantic. Bali may be my alltime romance winner.... Singapore and Malaysian go there. There are hotels so indulgent, private, luxurious and romantic on could never leave....even NON-honeymooners~!

Old Aug 7, 2001, 7:29 am

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
Rssrsvp: many congrats and our best wishes.

I agree with Steve: we'd really have to know you better to give a good answer, but if you're just compiling a list, you might add research into the small cruise ships plying the French Polynesian waters.

I knew a couple who honeymooned in Chattanooga, on the theory that little would distract them from the matters at hand. (Not to speak ill of CHA -- it's just a little short in the moon-rising-over-the-endless-ocean sort of romance you seem to be looking for.)

------------------
"Service" should be a noun, not a verb.
Beginners' Guide to the Delta Forum
Old Aug 7, 2001, 8:15 am

I am getting married in just a few weeks and was at this very point about 9 months ago. Have hundreds of thousands of DL miles, getting married on the West Coast while living on the east coast, where or where to go for a honeymoon?

I couldn't agree more, a honeymoon seems to be a very personal preference and reflective of the individuals. We searched high and low, had reservations for lots of places but never ticketed them, and eventually decided on going to 3 Hawaiian islands for two weeks. I was able to get first class using the stopover portion for the wedding, so just had to get one ticket. We made this decision based on a postponement of an around-the-world trip we will be taking within a year (I hope!).

Hopefully some of the places we considered going to can be of help.

1. Bali, Indonesia on Singapore Air
2. Capetown, South Africa on South African Air
3. Tahiti on Air France
4. Great Barrier Reef on Korean Air

In your case, like mine, I would try to keep heading west, using the stopover for wedding and just heading straight home after the wonderful relaxing vacation it will be.
Old Aug 7, 2001, 8:26 am

AF has M-W-F nonstop service to Tahiti from LAX See the DL award info:

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/member...ance/index.jsp
Old Aug 7, 2001, 9:57 am

Programs: UA/1K, DL/PM, AA/PLT, NW/SLV; SW/PLT, HH/DIA
I'd say take SQ to Bali.
Old Aug 7, 2001, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Is it possible to fly JFK-LAX, get married and stay in LA for 2 days on a layover and then continue to the Pacific for the honeymoon on 1 award ticket? On the return, this will not be an issue as we would want to return to NYC without an extended layover in LA.
Old Aug 7, 2001, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Robert,

Congratulations! In response to your question, I am certain that Delta awards allow at least one stopover. Partner awards are another story. The rules may vary from airline to airline.

Regarding destinations, I've been to Bali and highly recommend it (just avoid the crowded beaches at the southern end). Northern Thailand is also a fine place for a honeymoon. I don't believe that I'd like to spend my honeymoon in Singapore or most of Malaysia (but perhaps the Borneo provinces would be OK). I've never been to Tahiti, but you probably can't go wrong with that choice.

This is just a thought, but with so much advance notice, why use awards? You can buy very cheap tickets to most desirable destinations when you plan months ahead of time. Then you can earn miles, not spend them! Think about upgrades, too, although I don't believe that the "free" Delta certificates can be used with any partners.

Bruce
Old Aug 7, 2001, 10:31 am

Programs: AA - Lifetime Gold
Check out the thread in MilesBuzz about Tahiti, 'specially Le Meridien Bora Bora.

Absolutely romantic and very nice.
Old Aug 7, 2001, 11:57 am
Original Member

Location: Chattanooga, TN, USA**US Airways Gold, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LexPassenger:
(Not to speak ill of CHA -- it's just a little short in the moon-rising-over-the-endless-ocean sort of romance you seem to be looking for.)</font>
Between the Riverwalk and the mountains, you might be surprised. But the tendency of the city is indeed to consider families with children as the only visitors worth trying to attract.
Old Aug 7, 2001, 2:50 pm

Try Costa Rica. DL flies there. It is close
by and absolutely eco and environment friendly. There are beaches,rain forests,dry forests, mountains, volcanoes, hotsprings....

Patagonia Chile.
Igaussu Falls, Brazil/Argentina. DL flies there too ;-)

All these places and more, we have visited in the recent past (&lt;3yrs)
Old Aug 8, 2001, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by phoenixitc:
Check out the thread in MilesBuzz about Tahiti, 'specially Le Meridien Bora Bora.

Absolutely romantic and very nice.
</font>
I was checking out that thread and it looked wonderful. There were some great links for Bora Bora and Tahiti there.

DL was asking for the following to get a mileage award on AF:

U.S. (excluding Hawaii), Bermuda, Canada, the Caribbean, Mexico to/from Papeete via Air France's Los Angeles gateway 80,000 (F164) 125,000 (F264).

Does that mean that if I flew B/E JFK-LAX I would have to redeem an additional 40,000 miles? I know that you are usually allowed 1 stop-over on an award ticket. Would I have to redeem 165,000 miles per person or 125,000?

Also does anyone have any experience with the AF flight from LAX, what type of aircraft and how comfortable their business class is on that route? Any seating tips? Once you arrive in Tahiti who do you fly to Bora Bora?

[This message has been edited by Rssrsvp (edited 08-08-2001).]
Old Aug 9, 2001, 6:45 am

As for Tahiti out of LAX, AF uses a 747-400, I think. Leaves late at night, around midnight, gets to Tahiti next morning. Not familiar with the business product. Once you get to Tahiti, you rely upon Air Tahiti for puddle jumpers to get you between the islands like morea, bora bora etc.

My in-laws rented a sailboat over the millenium for a couple of weeks and absolutely loved it. The pictures were spectacular! If you like to snorkel/dive, there are few better places in the world.

Only drawback is it is very expensive and they complained of tons of kitsch crap being sold from Asia.

As for amount of miles, I'd think AF would let you do a stopover in LAX.
Old Aug 9, 2001, 7:39 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rssrsvp:
Does that mean that if I flew B/E JFK-LAX I would have to redeem an additional 40,000 miles? I know that you are usually allowed 1 stop-over on an award ticket. Would I have to redeem 165,000 miles per person or 125,000?</font>
Form the partner award information at delta.com:

Partner airline international Awards, where applicable, will include a connection from the continental U.S., Alaska, Bermuda, Canada, the Caribbean or Mexico on Delta/Delta Connection to/from the partner's nearest U.S., Canada or Mexico gateway.
On Awards involving free or upgraded Business Class travel, the applicable connecting Delta service is dependent on the interline agreement between Delta and the partner airline.

So, my guess is that you won't have to use another 40K miles. The only question though is whether the interline agreement with AF will put you into BizElite U.S. or back in Coach. Guess you should call SMS...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.