Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon Award Travel Using Delta Air Lines SkyMiles: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Honeymoon Award Travel Using Delta Air Lines SkyMiles: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2005, 10:39 pm

You could fly into Mobile and go to Orange Beach/Perdido Key near the Florida/Alabama line. You'll find this area has beautiful beaches and is not nearly as touristy as Destin.

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Seriouosly think about a rental car out of Atlanta if you do not want to fly too far. If you have never been to the US, you can head into many DIFFERENT places to visit. If you want beaches, then Destin area would be great.
Old Mar 19, 2005, 1:43 am

Programs: Onepass, Skymiles, Worldperks, Hilton HHonors Silver, Mariot Rewards
Exclamation Some Ideas

I suggest you check out luxurylink.com at least as a planning tool, some really cool packages on there. Especially check out the specialty travel link then click intimate hideaways.
http://www.luxurylink.com/Auctions/A...phtml?id=92024
A grand and graceful mansion, Greyfield is nestled on a private compound, overlooking the marsh where wild horses graze and huge, old live oaks spread their limbs to the ground. Its beach stretches for miles; one can walk forever and seldom meet a soul. Days are spent shelling, swimming, hiking, or relaxing within the Inn's elegant interiors, enjoying its broad veranda, crackling fireplaces, and library filled with first editions and other diversions...an absolutely magnificent retreat.
Enjoy this rare opportunity to experience one of America's most stunning inns. This superb package for two from the Greyfield Inn includes:

* 4 nights in a luxurious suite **

Each suite has a distinctive character, decorated throughout with family heirlooms and antiques, with contemporary amenities blended in for added comfort.
* Ferry transportation to and from Fernandina Beach, Florida on the private Greyfield Ferry
* Bottle of wine and fresh flowers in room upon arrival
* Southern breakfast for two each morning

Awaken to a full and satisfying breakfast, which includes fresh-squeezed orange juice and fruit, as well as eggs, pancakes or one of the Chef's specialties.
* Picnic Lunch for two each day
* Cocktail hour each evening ***

During cocktail hour you are served hors d'oeuvres in the oceanfront resort Inn's well-stocked bar.
* Dinner for two each evening ***

Dinner is a casually elegant affair, served in the glow of candlelight. Nightly entrees feature fresh and creative cuisine, accompanied, if you desire, by a selection from the wine cellar.
* All non-alcoholic beverages throughout your stay
* Daily Natural History Jeep Tours of the Island, with naturalist guide
* Fruit and other “snacks” throughout your stay
* Unlimited use of sports, fishing and beach equipment
* Unlimited use of bicycles
* Room tax and service charges
The current highest bid: $1119.00

Well under your $700 a night budget.

If old antiqued mansions aren't your style check out the site for different packages, some really intresting stuff especially in Central America, good stuff in the carribean as well.

Last edited by gradvmedusa; Mar 19, 2005 at 1:48 am
Old Mar 25, 2005, 7:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
How about The Ritz-Carlton Lodge, Reynolds Plantation on Lake Oconee?
Old Mar 26, 2005, 9:41 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I'd second zedthedeadpoet's recommendation of the One&OnlyOceanClub in Paradise Island, Bahamas. I can't say I've stayed there, but I've checked it our fairly well and it seems marvelous if rather pricey. I expect you'd be disappointed in Hilton Head, Savannah, or Pensacola/Destin (a/k/a the Redneck Riviera) as honeymoon locations--none are geared to the full-service resort you'd want on a honeymoon. Some of the major old properties on the Florida coasts might be enjoyable, such as the various Ritz's. I'm not a fan of Miami because the hospitality industry service there is categorically horrible--only place in the US with service charges routinely included, and it shows. Some of my colleagues swear by places like St. Kitts, Nevis, BVI generally, which have some great top-end resorts. My sister did Barbados and loved it for her honeymoon, though that was 10 years ago.

As a resident of Atlanta, I'd recommend that you DON'T linger here long on your honeymoon.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 11:10 am
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
What about some of my favorite resorts within the distance you state?

Blackberry Farm

The Inn at Palmetto Bluff

or

The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island ?

All are perfect for hooneymoons and doing nothing.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 9:18 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K; Delta Silver Medallion (1MM); Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold; National Executive
Somebody else mentioned Asheville, North Carolina already. I strongly recommend Asheville and other areas in the mountains of North Carolina. You mentioned that you didn't plan on driving, but if you could get a rental car out of ATL, you could drive north/northeast to the mountains of north Georgia, eastern Tennessee, and western North Carolina. These mountains are the best place to be in August in the southeastern US.

There are a lot of great little mountain inns and B&Bs out in the middle of nowhere. But to get there without a car is nearly impossible although you could do a long cab ride, or perhaps arrange a shuttle through your lodging choice. You could fly directly to Asheville and stay somewhere in town. The Grove Park Inn is the classic place to stay right in town in a beautiful historic Inn overlooking the City of Asheville. I've stayed there, it is nice, but not overly luxurious (in the interest of full disclosure, GPI is one of my clients).

One of the main attractions in Asheville is the Biltmore Estate. They recently built their own hotel - the Inn on Biltmore Estate. My wife and I stayed there for our anniversary, and it was very nice. Interestingly, we lived in Asheville at the time, but the Inn and the Estate are such a refuge from the rest of the area, that although we were just 15 minutes away from home, it felt like we were hours away.

Both of these places are well within your $700/night budget - probably closer to $200 or so. The would work reasonably well without a car, but after a few days, you would probably want to explore more options than those that are available by shuttle bus.

But a small lodge or cabin on a lake or elsewhere in the mountains could make a really nice honeymoon spot.

I don't recommend coming to Florida in August. It's quite hot and humid and doesn't cool down at night. In Tampa, the temperature doesn't drop below 70° F (21° C) at all from about May through September. I have stayed at a couple of the Florida Ritz-Carltons (Sarasota and Key Biscayne) and they are decent options, with nice pools and beaches to relax next to (water to occasionally cool off is a must).

Others have recommended Atlantis in the Bahamas. I've stayed there and hated it. Too commercial, too crowded - not at all a good place for a honeymoon in my opinion.

But like others said, with a 2.5 hour limit, you really have an unbelievable variety of choices. This covers pretty much the entire US east of the Mississippi River and most of the Caribbean. But my recommendation - in August, head north, and preferably with some elevation. Because the entire east coast and midwest is fairly hot and humid in August (except at higher elevations).
Old Mar 27, 2005, 9:02 am

Programs: PC Amb., BA Blue
Many thanks for all the suggestions here, many of which I put across to the missus - in the end she wanted, after two flights already, to find somewhere that wouldn't require a 3rd & chose this one;

http://www.barnsleyresort.com/

We are booking it tomorrow, so if anyone has any opinions on it beforehand, please let me know!
Old Mar 27, 2005, 2:02 pm

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
Originally Posted by tristan727
Many thanks for all the suggestions here, many of which I put across to the missus - in the end she wanted, after two flights already, to find somewhere that wouldn't require a 3rd & chose this one;

We are booking it tomorrow, so if anyone has any opinions on it beforehand, please let me know!

It is absolutely fabulous, dreamy and romantic. Great Choice! Please PM me how you liked it when you return home. I am in the travel business and have worked with them before with very happy results....
Old Mar 27, 2005, 3:18 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K; Delta Silver Medallion (1MM); Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold; National Executive

Looks nice. I've never been there so I can't comment on how it is. Personally, I'd try to get a little further north and east to be further into the mountains for slightly cooler temperatures. See Barnsley's climate summary at the bottom of the following webpage for more info:
Barnsley's history and climate

Average daytime high 88°F (31°C), Average overnight low 65°F (18°C) isn't bad, but if you are going to do anything outside, you'll have to do it early.

Have fun.
Old Mar 27, 2005, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Hilton Diamond, Avis Preferred
Check this out - http://www.chateauelanatlanta.com/

It is up I-85 in the foothills and easy to get to, not to far from ATL. The drives down to the coasts from Atlanta are pretty long. I would think the North Georgia mountains are the way to go.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 7:07 am

Programs: No More Loyalty
Tristan 727 --

Let me echo a couple of comments worrying about the climate you will experience in August. I live in the north Atlanta suburbs, and the Barnsley resort is only slightly further north than me. During a typical August, it will be almost unbearable during the day (think temperatures in the mid-90s in a swamp) and uncomfortable in the evening without air conditioning.

Driving only about an hour further north will dramatically change that experience. One suggestion not specifically mentioned is Highlands, NC. (Just north of the Georgia border.) Upscale yet casual mountain town (think "cool and refreshing" climate in the summer) with some high-class B&Bs and other types of accomodations in the area that will pamper you as much as you want. Also plenty of nature sites in the areas, including many hiking areas and waterfalls.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 9:51 am

Amelia Island

Amelia Island.....Gorgeous beaches and Victorian Historic District. Fly into JAX from ATL, less than an hours flight. Everything from an oceanfront Ritz Carlton, to Historic or oceanfront B&B, to condos & motels.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 11:22 am

Programs: DL Silver, Hilton Diamond, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Sirecca

Driving only about an hour further north will dramatically change that experience. One suggestion not specifically mentioned is Highlands, NC. (Just north of the Georgia border.) Upscale yet casual mountain town (think "cool and refreshing" climate in the summer) with some high-class B&Bs and other types of accomodations in the area that will pamper you as much as you want. Also plenty of nature sites in the areas, including many hiking areas and waterfalls.
Agree ^
Old Mar 29, 2005, 11:55 am
Suspended

Location: Desert city where Venice, Paris and NY are within walking distance
Programs: Delta and Hilton make a lot of $$ off me
flying MAN-EWR-ATL & back for honeymoon, but we've got 11 days in ATL which I've spent ages now trying to figure out what to do with & where to go- what's the best place you reckon within say a 2.5hr flight from ATL to spend a week or more on a beach or retreat, presumably on DL?
When are you going? Hurricane season is June-Nov so anywhere in FL, NC, SC coast or Gulf coast you have the chance that a big 'ole 'cane will be barelling down on you.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 2:35 pm

Puerto Rico

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.