Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon Award Travel Using Delta Air Lines SkyMiles: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Honeymoon Award Travel Using Delta Air Lines SkyMiles: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2001, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TABinDC:
Once you get to Tahiti, you rely upon Air Tahiti for puddle jumpers to get you between the islands like morea, bora bora etc.
</font>
Is Air Tahiti part of any alliance where I can redeem miles?

Old Aug 9, 2001, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They are not, but the flights are really cheap to Moorea, Bora Bora etc. From what I recall the most expensive are like $100 per person. The Moorea flight is like a shuttle/bus. 15 min flight something like $50.
Old Aug 9, 2001, 4:39 pm

All the people I know honeymooned in Bali or Tahiti!? Ask them, was it nice? Of course it was - who would say his/her honeymoon trip was lousy?
I liked St. John, US Virgin Island, I think it was called Carneel Bay or so.
Another location would be St. Barts, also in the Caribian.
Or Amalfi coast (Amalfi, Positano, Ravello) in Italy.
Old Aug 9, 2001, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rcs85551:
So, my guess is that you won't have to use another 40K miles. The only question though is whether the interline agreement with AF will put you into BizElite U.S. or back in Coach. Guess you should call SMS...</font>
I just got off the phone with the partners desk at DL and was advised that all I would have to redeem is 125,000 miles from NY including B/E on the JFK-LAX part of the trip. The problem now is available inventory from LA to Tahiti. It seems that I can get 2 seats on a few flights outgoing but on the return there is only 1 seat. Is this a game that AF plays to force you to buy tickets?
Old Aug 11, 2001, 7:37 pm

I would point out that the French Caribbean islands are probably closer to California than Tahiti, for example. You can get to Martinique, Gaudeloupe, etc on AF for 30000 Skymiles (via DL to Miami). I spend my honeymoon in Martinique - great place, great food, wonderful climate. And as it is French it is not overrun by the hordes of tourists the English speaking/US Caribbean islands attract.
Old Feb 12, 2002, 4:20 pm

Honeymoon on DL

I recently used some UA miles to claim a DL "F" award from OKC to SJU. My new wife and I will then travel onward to St. Lucia for our honeymoon.

I rarely fly DL and have never flown in F on DL. We are on flight 464 which is a 767 but I am not sure whether it is a 2- or 3-class craft.

What level of service should I expect? Comparisons to UA or AA would be appreciated. I have also asked the reservations line to note that it is our honeymoon. Not that I expect much, but some token gesture would be nice.

Mike
Old Feb 12, 2002, 4:44 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors Gold, SPG Gold & Avis First
Flt 464 is a 767-200 (aka a "baby, short 767"). It has two classes of service, with seating for 18 in F class, and 186 in coach.

F class gets a full lunch on the flt, and there is also a movie.

As far as more specific details and/or comparisons with AA/UA; I can't help you on that- I haven't flown anywhere in so long its not funny.

Enjoy your honeymoon, and send me an e-mail with the specifics and I'll see what I can do.

-------------------------------------------
The information I provide is in no way the authoritative voice of Delta. I do not work for Corporate Communications, nor in Customer Care. I do not represent the final word for Delta when asked a question. I simply try to answer questions to the best of my knowledge, and try to direct people to the correct answer and/or point them in the right direction to find that answer. If you want to double check my answers, please E-Mail Delta Customer Care

Thank you for letting me participate.

[This message has been edited by Russ21Atl (edited 02-12-2002).]
Old Feb 13, 2002, 7:13 am

Location: Washington, DC, USA : Starwood Gold, DL- no more :-(
Sorry, I can't help with your specific question either, but I did have a question as far as if they care if it is your honeymoon. I recently booked two first class tickets (using miles) for me and my fiance from TPA to HNL for our honeymoon in October. I mentioned something to the agent who did the booking, but I really have no idea if she made any note of it in the account. Has anyone really gotten any special service/gestures, etc for traveling on their honeymoon? Like Mikey said, not that I expect anything, was just curious.

[This message has been edited by staylor9 (edited 02-13-2002).]
Old Feb 13, 2002, 9:51 am

Mikey,

Congratulations! Hope that St. Lucia is every bit as nice as I have heard (a good friend of mine actually got married there a few years back).

The reservation note probably won't mean anything, but if your honeymoon trip is anything like Mrs. DL and mine (F from DFW-BKK back in the days before B/E) the FAs will figure out you are honeymooners before takeoff and will go out of their way to take great care of you all the way. We left the plane in BKK with three (!) unopened bottles of Tattinger champagne.

I can only give you a modest AA comparison, as I have only recently gone back to AA after some problems with DL. DL will have better cabin service and more comfortable seats on a 762, while the food will be worse than what you would expect on AA. On average, the connection in ATL will be smoother than AA at DFW. Be prepared for a very different (third-world) experience in SJU, no matter what airline you fly.

Hope you have a great time.
Old Feb 25, 2002, 6:23 pm

Just floating this to the top to see if anyone else has any comments on DL F for a honeymoon.

Thanks.

Mike
Old Feb 26, 2002, 6:15 am

Not likely that you will get special honeymoon treatment. Keep in mind that almost every flight to SJU has newlyweds aboard. Thus, although it's a special flight for the two of you, it's routine for the flight crew.

Best wishes!
Old Apr 8, 2003, 2:04 pm

Programs: Delta, US Airways
Can you help me with my honeymoon?

Currently there is a very interesting Delta Skymiles Promotion running. If you are an existing Skymiles member and you refer up to five friends you are eligable for 500 miles for each new member who signs up after receiving an email from Delta.

If you are not a member yet you are more than welcome to send me an email and I will forward your email adress to Delta Skymiles who will send you an link to sign up. My email adress is "[email protected]".

You will do me a BIG favour since I just need some 2000 miles to secure my honeymoon-award ticket from Europe to the US! ;-)

Thanks, Peter.

P.s.: Any other ideas how to get the 2000 miles for 'no money' are also more than welcome!

Old Apr 8, 2003, 2:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Setjet...when I saw the title of this thread and found out what you REALLY wanted help with, I have to admit I was more than a little disappointed!!
But I digress....i doubt that you would find five people who monitor this board that aren't Medallion members or who even know people that don't belong. How about transferring points from a hotel program?? Perhaps signing up for the DL AMEX program with a US mailing address? That's admittedly a complicated work around since you are based in Germany.
The best and fastest way is to buy them. If the rest of your honeymoon is covered by "free" miles, IMO this wouldn't be too great a financial hardship.
I'm sure others can come up with a variety of creative ideas.
Enjoy your honeymoon!
Old Apr 8, 2003, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Peter,

My guess is that everyone here is already a SkyMiles Member.

If you need any other help on your honeymoon, please let us know
Old Apr 8, 2003, 5:53 pm

Location: DL: PM/2M; UA: 1K; AA: Plat/2MM; SQ: PPS; US: Plat; Starwood: Plat; Hilton: Diam Hyatt: Diam; Loews Plat; Avis: Chair.
Sure, I can help. But only if you agree to watch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.