Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2014, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by greg0ire
Hi. I received an $800 voucher last June for a voluntary bump from a redeye LAX-DTW flight...no hotel. Anyway, the voucher must be used for a ticket in my name. Any residual credit can be used for a companion on the same itinerary. Are they strict with that? I'd like to purchase a ticket for just my wife. I didn't remember vouchers having those restrictions in the past. Thanks.
YES
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Originally Posted by tentseller
YES
Ugh, thanks.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:08 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
AMEX gift card for VDB

Looks like Delta is rolling these out more and more.. or maybe just a test.

Was at LGA Friday afternoon and the gate agent next to me was offering a voucher or AMEX gift card. They offered $200 voucher or $100 AMEX card (I think that was the amount . I assume they got some takers as the GA only made this announcement once.

For me, i'll take the voucher (for more $$) hands down. I know i'll be able to use it within 12 months.. But for others I could see how this would be an incentive.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:30 pm

This isn't specific to DL .. but could someone review this involuntary denied boarding flowchart to make sure it's correct and not missing anything?

https://milewriter.files.wordpress.c...ensation-4.png

It should only take 2 min for a trained eye. Thanks in advance, and mods please feel free to move elsewhere if not appropriate for thread.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:05 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I have been killing it on the VDBs lately. The last four Thursday night SFO-DTW or LAX-DTW has been oversold... I've heard as high as 12. I've walked with $800 vouchers several times now, and as of last week, walked with an $800 AMEX as well as a night in the Embassy.

Now that the Hacienda is going away, the LAX VDB hotel will hopefully be nicer
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by redii
I have been killing it on the VDBs lately. The last four Thursday night SFO-DTW or LAX-DTW has been oversold... I've heard as high as 12. I've walked with $800 vouchers several times now, and as of last week, walked with an $800 AMEX as well as a night in the Embassy.

Now that the Hacienda is going away, the LAX VDB hotel will hopefully be nicer
SEA has been an easy target as well. Apparently DL cut the 12:30am to DTW and now the 10pm to JFK is the last of the night. I only have anecdotal evidence but 2 $400 vouchers for Saturday night red eyes. Thank you...
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: DELTA Skymiles:GOLD
Originally Posted by mridley2
SEA has been an easy target as well. Apparently DL cut the 12:30am to DTW and now the 10pm to JFK is the last of the night. I only have anecdotal evidence but 2 $400 vouchers for Saturday night red eyes. Thank you...
I was on the 7AM JFK flight this past Sunday and the gate next to me had the 7:45 to ATL. at 6:30AM they were already offering $500 voucher and a guaranteed seat on the 9:51AM.

Curious to see how high it got.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: Delta DM, Delta 1MM, IHG Spire, IC AMB, Hertz Pres
Meal Vouchers

Picked up a VDB on ATL-LAS last week. When I asked for a meal voucher, the GA (who did a great job on the flight) told me that DL no longer does meal vouchers. She stated that even if she input a meal into the system, it will not print out a meal voucher.

Anyone else seen this??
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by knkjens
Picked up a VDB on ATL-LAS last week. When I asked for a meal voucher, the GA (who did a great job on the flight) told me that DL no longer does meal vouchers. She stated that even if she input a meal into the system, it will not print out a meal voucher.

Anyone else seen this??
Yes I think meal vouchers can only be given out by red coat agents now.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by knkjens

Anyone else seen this??
Well, my data point is 6 months old now, but I took a VDB on ELP-ATL back in the spring which was after meal vouchers were supposedly gone. I didn't ask for a meal in negotiations since I'd eaten breakfast at the hotel and would be getting lunch on the plane. After printing the vouchers, the GA told me to stay around the gate until the red coat (there's only one since ELP has only two DL flights a day) came up from the check-in desk, and she would try to get us meal vouchers. Sure enough, the red coat printed $10 vouchers for all of us who took the VDB, and I used mine in ATL for dinner that evening.

So, at least in that case, it was still possible to get them after they were "gone" but required red coat intervention. What I don't know is whether the red coat had to authorize it or if she was just the only one who knew how to do it.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by mridley2
Yes I think meal vouchers can only be given out by red coat agents now.
+1 right on the nose for this! I've always had to get a Red Coat / Supervisor to print the vouchers. One time at BTV the gate agent tried to print one for me this summer after taking a VDBC, and it wouldn't let her do it until she used her old credentials from her previous stint as a supervisor.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:44 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
I took a voluntary bump on the flight from Gainesville, Florida to Atlanta on Sunday. I received an $800 voucher, but had to take an hour and 45 minute cab ride (at Delta's expense) to Orlando to catch a flight home because the entire day was sold out from GNV to ATL that day. The cab ride with another bumped passenger was pleasant -- he turned out to be a very interesting guy. I got back to ATL four hours after the originally scheduled flight.

By the way, as others have stated above, the agent also told me that Delta no longer offers meal vouchers.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 4:38 pm

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
Redcoats/sups only. However, nobody(in their right mind) will let a vol go over a meal voucher.

Make it part of your negotiations.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by Starblazer
Redcoats/sups only. However, nobody(in their right mind) will let a vol go over a meal voucher.

Make it part of your negotiations.
Based on posts here (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...assengers.html) and elsewhere, it seems like meal vouchers have largely gone away.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:53 pm

Programs: Skyteam Elite+ / Hertz PC / Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by rwoman
Based on posts here (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...assengers.html) and elsewhere, it seems like meal vouchers have largely gone away.
I can confirm this. I was offered $1100 coupon, business class upgrade for the flight to Europe and hotel at JFK. No meal though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.