Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Ends Food Vouchers for VDB passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:20 am
Used to be 'rockferd'
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA Gold, HH: Diamond, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium

Just last week I flew SJU-ATL-SAN. in ATL i took a VDB and received overnight accommodations plus a $400 VDB. When I inquired about the food voucher for dinner/breakfast I was told that DL did away w/ food vouchers for all passengers, even those who bumped on 1/7/14. I couldn't believe the red coat working the flight so I checked with 3 other red coats + 2 customer service desks (terminal T and A) and I was told the same thing!

I wrote up my entire encounter here as I was shocked by this policy change. Has anyone else came across this or is this just ATL that has ended the meal vouchers for displaced passengers who are doing the airline a favor?
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
There have been numerous reports that passengers delayed by IRROPs have been denied vouchers, oftentimes with sandwiches being brought to the gate. I wouldn't expect it to be any different with VDB.

I was delayed 20-hours in DTW in January and the machine never spit out a voucher. The restaurants shut down anyway, so it wouldn't have done me any good.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:40 am
Used to be 'rockferd'
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeltaWings
There have been numerous reports that passengers delayed by IRROPs have been denied vouchers, oftentimes with sandwiches being brought to the gate. I wouldn't expect it to be any different with VDB.

I was delayed 20-hours in DTW in January and the machine never spit out a voucher. The restaurants shut down anyway, so it wouldn't have done me any good.
IRROPS VS VDB i think are very different. IRROPS is because of weather or crew time out, etc etc, where as VDB one is giving up their seat to help the airline out. Over the last few months I've seen biscoff cookies and soda brought to the gate during IRROPS. But this was my 1st VDB since last summer, and last summer they gave me a "visa type" card to use w/in the airport at multiple locations
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck
When I was VDB in Atlanta in January, the CS reps said they stopped providing food vouchers. It didn't matter that I was stuck in ATL overnight... free hotel but no food.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Still more evidence of what happens when you have three airlines rather than 5 or 6.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by RustyC
Still more evidence of what happens when you have three airlines rather than 5 or 6.
This, and very cheap of DL to not provide vouchers for displaced pax, especially when it is the airline's fault such as MX or VDB due to overbooking.

Unfortunately as you mentioned airlines are doing this because they can get away with treating pax like cattle.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, AA, UA, WN, E+ Gold
Originally Posted by rylan
This, and very cheap of DL to not provide vouchers for displaced pax, especially when it is the airline's fault such as MX or VDB due to overbooking.

Unfortunately as you mentioned airlines are doing this because they can get away with treating pax like cattle.
I don't deny DL is very cheap on some things. But as it's my choice to VDB I don't see why DL or any other airline is obligated to provide a meal voucher. On every occasion I've VDB'd I've jumped at the chance to do so. Usually I VDB out of coach and not F, so no doubt I would have had no choice but to buy lunch/dinner anyway - whether at an airport or my final destination. I'll agree it's nice that a meal voucher would be provided, but frankly I'm already coming out ahead on VDB in the first place.

As was already pointed out, IRROPS is a different matter altogether.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by rylan

I got vouchers for MX 3 weeks ago.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:44 am
Used to be 'rockferd'
Original Poster

^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^
Old Mar 4, 2014, 12:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't find food vouchers very valuable as I'd rather have the choice of whether to eat in the airport, in the hotel, elsewhere, or just grab some snacks such as in the lounge. With airlines not providing much food on board, generally people should have planned to purchase food anyway if they didn't bring something.

Of course, I wouldn't mind if DL gave a few more miles or a slightly bigger voucher in IROPs to compensate. I don't generally take VDBs so this isn't an issue for me, but I imagine that I would be willing to wait until the new later flight to eat rather than pigging out in the airport to kill time as some people seem to do while they wait.

I only remember using food vouchers twice in an airport and once at a hotel provided by an airline, although I also remember a KLM hotel at AMS where the only choice for dinner was their ethnic buffet of the day, all you can (not) eat. In addition, twice I had TWA directly provide real dinners in European airports when there were major delays.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Correct. ^
Old Mar 4, 2014, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps should merge with existing thread?? --

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...oing-away.html
Old Mar 4, 2014, 12:58 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
I received meal vouchers for a VDB in early Feb. YMMV I guess.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DoubleWidesFly
IRROPS VS VDB i think are very different. IRROPS is because of weather or crew time out, etc etc, where as VDB one is giving up their seat to help the airline out. Over the last few months I've seen biscoff cookies and soda brought to the gate during IRROPS. But this was my 1st VDB since last summer, and last summer they gave me a "visa type" card to use w/in the airport at multiple locations
They are very different, and I agree that with a VDB situation, you have already made your deal - your seat for a voucher. In IRROPS, you have not made any deal to be delayed. And if it is the airline's fault, it makes much more sense to give meal vouchers to the IRROPS passenger.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
Originally Posted by Crossin Jordan
I don't deny DL is very cheap on some things. But as it's my choice to VDB I don't see why DL or any other airline is obligated to provide a meal voucher. On every occasion I've VDB'd I've jumped at the chance to do so. Usually I VDB out of coach and not F, so no doubt I would have had no choice but to buy lunch/dinner anyway - whether at an airport or my final destination. I'll agree it's nice that a meal voucher would be provided, but frankly I'm already coming out ahead on VDB in the first place.

As was already pointed out, IRROPS is a different matter altogether.
Indeed. I disagree with cutting meal vouchers for passengers on long mx delays, but wouldn't be too upset buying myself a cheeseburger after landing a $400 voucher.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.