Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2014, 3:10 pm

Programs: FB Gold Privilege
OGG-LAX oversold by 6. Got $600 for it. Beachfront hotel + transportation.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
My experience as well. I have used vouchers totaling in the neighbourhood of five figures since the merger and have always received full SM and MQM with all status/route/promotional bonuses.

You can only use one voucher per single traveler ticket purchase. I have been able to use more when I book others onto the same PNR as me.
Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
You should receive full miles and MQD's (if you care about those) when using vouchers. They're treated like cash. The only restrictions to vouchers typically are that they cannot be combined or used for other travelers - YMMV.
Great! Thank you for the replies!
Old Sep 3, 2014, 10:37 pm

Programs: SPG 75 Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Delta PM, AA EXP
Was on a DTW-PIT flight on a Barbie Jet oversold by 3 about a month or two ago. Was offered $600 by the agent plus an overnight voucher. Took it and arrived on the first flight the next morning. My guess from looking at the crowd there was a lot of connecting traffic from European and Asian flights.

FWIW This has been the only time I've had the bidding screen show up at check in and a GA actually needed volunteers
Old Sep 4, 2014, 3:10 am

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Platinum, UA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by bholcomb
Had TUL-ATL-LAX booked last Thursday 8/28 in the evening. TUL-ATL oversold, they offered $1000 for VDB. Did TUL-SLC-LAX and got upgraded SLC-LAX and got into LAX 2 hours earlier. Worth missing out on some MQM's.
I think you can call in and ask for ORC, original routing credit.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Usually on a VDB they won't give ORC. (You might be able to negotiate it as part of your compensation.)
Old Sep 4, 2014, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by LA2CDG
I think you can call in and ask for ORC, original routing credit.
ORC is only given out for irrop reroutes. The new party line is you VOLUNTEERED to accept a different routing and received VDB compensation for it.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 8:21 am

MSP - ROC

Aug 28th - MSP-ROC was oversold by 4 and my family of four got $600 per and put on the MSP - BUF.

Net net we got to our destination 30minutes prior to our original flight.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
ORC is only given out for irrop reroutes. The new party line is you VOLUNTEERED to accept a different routing and received VDB compensation for it.
I would ask for ORC on IDB (not that I'm likely to ever get IDB).
Old Sep 6, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, AA, UA, WN, E+ Gold
Not true. Oversold flight for me recently out of ORD and I volunteered for a different flight and routing on AA. I expected to have to request ORC later but was pleased to see ORC posted to my sm account automatically within the usual time period.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Crossin Jordan
Not true. Oversold flight for me recently out of ORD and I volunteered for a different flight and routing on AA. I expected to have to request ORC later but was pleased to see ORC posted to my sm account automatically within the usual time period.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 4:43 pm

VDB 1st Standy on next flight

Son of Ken got $500 and was #1 of 16 standbys on next flight an hour later. Made window seat on the flight. Is it normal to put a VDB at the head of the line?
Old Sep 7, 2014, 5:53 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding

NYC > SLC ... Originally offered $600 which I accepted. Last minute they bumped it up to $700 for how excited I was to be receiving the $600 in the first place lol
Old Sep 7, 2014, 10:30 pm

Hey guys, does anyone normally let the desk know you are willing to be bumped if needed? I fly mostly for leisure so my schedule is always pretty fluid. Just wondering how to be selected. Thanks!
Old Sep 8, 2014, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rsharp76
Hey guys, does anyone normally let the desk know you are willing to be bumped if needed? I fly mostly for leisure so my schedule is always pretty fluid. Just wondering how to be selected. Thanks!
If it's close, the kiosk normally asks at check-in (and/or there's a note on the board). I'll let the GA know when I think the chances are reasonable; if the display shows dozens of available seats I won't bother.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by sethb
If it's close, the kiosk normally asks at check-in (and/or there's a note on the board). I'll let the GA know when I think the chances are reasonable; if the display shows dozens of available seats I won't bother.
That makes sense, thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.