Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2014, 7:35 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by den1k
Needed 16 volunteers for DL 1254 (red eye LAX to ATL) Nov 19th. They offered a of choice of a $1300.00 voucher or gift card. They had no problems getting enough volunteers, including me.
Nice score.

It seems to be a trend that VDB compensation is increasing. Regularly there are posts of the value being between $800 - $1300.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
$500 VDB for red-eye SEA-ATL + hotel + new flight routing that took me through San Diego for a day trip. Hotel also gave me a cookie.

I should've followed this thread a bit more closely and bid higher but they only needed one volunteer (and I wanted to just sleep and shower after ground transpo from Vancouver!).
Old Jan 8, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott
Didn't read the whole thread but I think I win;-)

Voluntarily bumped off a Maui-LAX flight set for Friday afternoon at 1:39pm. Next flight home where routing would work left Sunday at 10:39pm. I was given a $1200 voucher and 2 days at the Hyatt Kaanapali Beach... which is a ridiculous property if you've never been. There are penguins in the lobby, penguins. Additionally due to my late flight my gate agent secured me a 7pm checkout plus a limo ride back to the airport. Also had first class for my leg from LAX to DTW, economy comfort for OGG-LAX.

This was the exact vacation I needed after my family vacation:-)
Old Jan 8, 2015, 1:08 pm

compensation increasing due to changes in the law.

from my E-credit terms and conditions:
0-1 hour arrival delay = no compensation
1-2 hour arrival delay = 200% of one-way far (max $650)
over 2 hours = 400% of one-way fare (max $1300)
Old Jan 8, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by DennisMichigan
Didn't read the whole thread but I think I win;-)

Voluntarily bumped off a Maui-LAX flight set for Friday afternoon at 1:39pm. Next flight home where routing would work left Sunday at 10:39pm. I was given a $1200 voucher and 2 days at the Hyatt Kaanapali Beach... which is a ridiculous property if you've never been. There are penguins in the lobby, penguins. Additionally due to my late flight my gate agent secured me a 7pm checkout plus a limo ride back to the airport. Also had first class for my leg from LAX to DTW, economy comfort for OGG-LAX.

This was the exact vacation I needed after my family vacation:-)
Yes, I think you do win. Are the penguins free to wander or confined?
Old Jan 8, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by mot29
Are the penguins free to wander or confined?
As I recall they have lots of space to move around, and it doesn't feel like a caged environment, but people interacting with them is frowned on.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by mot29
Yes, I think you do win. Are the penguins free to wander or confined?
And yes, he does win. I wish I had, and am envious of, that kind of flexibility to take advantage of another two days in Maui.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
Nice score.

It seems to be a trend that VDB compensation is increasing. Regularly there are posts of the value being between $800 - $1300.
Which is, imagine that, the exact top amounts for IDB. Why IDB someone...when for the exact same amount you can get someone to VDB.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 5:54 pm

the fancy ducks and flamingoes were free to roam around, the penguins had a confined but very large home.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 5:55 pm

there is also a cockatiel that will wish you 'aloha'
Old Jan 12, 2015, 8:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Silver
6:00 am seattle to atl. Oversold by 10. Vdb went from 400 to 800 quick. Went to counter and was given an option to reroute and get in very late. I would have taken it but co worker said he didn't want to and I had the rental car in my name. Went up to 1000 before I boarded. Came on and offered 1000 again. Left and came back and said final offer for 1000. Finally someone took it.
Side note, I was number 1 for an upgrade with 4 seats left the night before, woke up and all of first was sold out...
I kept watching the app and during the process 2 seats opened up which looked like first class volunteers, then they gave those seats to someone else... Ughh
Old Jan 17, 2015, 2:17 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
GRR to MSP, they were offering $400 each for 4 volunteers, when I enquired the GA said she could go up to $600 for me since I was DM. I asked for $800, and she needed permission but ultimately got it done along with confirmed FC on both legs (GRR-MSP-LXX). 3 others vols (all non DM) got $600 + hotel, confirmed FC on the next flight out to MSP, and a flight from MSP-XXX the following morning.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:13 pm

Programs: Delta DM 2 Million Miler, Hilton DM, Priority Club Platinum
Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding

LAX-LAS $600 bump for a 1 hour flight plus a hotel at the Hilton LAX. Next morning another $600 bump and rerouted first class LAX-SLC-LAS. Arrived in SLC and they were looking for 1 volunteer for $400 and hotel and next day flight, but I turned this one down.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by anbhc
LAX-LAS $600 bump for a 1 hour flight plus a hotel at the Hilton LAX. Next morning another $600 bump and rerouted first class LAX-SLC-LAS. Arrived in SLC and they were looking for 1 volunteer for $400 and hotel and next day flight, but I turned this one down.
You didn't ask them to give you the $400 and re-route you via LAX?
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:07 am

Programs: Delta DM 2 Million Miler, Hilton DM, Priority Club Platinum
Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding

Actually they offered $400 plus a hotel in SLC and the next morning flight to LAS OR a flight to LAX a hotel at LAX airport and the next morning flight from LAX to LAS. I think in the end they did not need volunteers after all.

Originally Posted by sethb
You didn't ask them to give you the $400 and re-route you via LAX?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.