Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Ordhater
Another benefit of a Delta gift card, compared to an ECV, is that it's probably transferable, so I could use it to book travel for others without having to be in the same reservation. However, I wonder if this change will lead to lower overall VDB compensation. I expect the once-a-year traveler might be more willing to jump at a VDB opportunity if they're getting a gift card, which is basically cash, rather than an ECV that they may or may not be able to use.
I will take cash payout (regardless of added inconvenience of use) over a voucher any day, and personally, I would be apt to take a somewhat lower payout in this case.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by pgh234
Oh no this is terrible news! The last thing I want is $1200 in Amazon/Kohls/etc gift cards. What the heck will I do with that? My wife and I get $6-$7K per year in VDB's to fund our constant adventures! Will one of the options be a DL gift card? Is this in writing anywhere about the change in policy??
Delta gift card IS one of the options.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
My SO flew last week YYZ - MCO (via ATL) and the app pro-actively offered her a direct flight that was supposed to leave earlier on WestJet.

I told her afterward, the ATL-MCO flight was probably oversold (Disney Marathon weekend).
Old Jan 10, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I've never heard of the app offering a different flight like that except in case of IRROPS. Was the YYZ-ATL or the ATL-MCO flight running late?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
I can't think of any bills that take AmEx. Overall, it seems like a much more complicated way to buy DL tickets. ECV's we're so easy to use. Isn't this worse for DL too? I imagine there will be less people that "forget" to use gift cards before expiration before they "forget" to use ECV's?
Off the top of my head, telephone company, cable tv company, cell phone company, and gas stations.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:33 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by spamkiller
Off the top of my head, telephone company, cable tv company, cell phone company, and gas stations.
I have no phone or cable, and I have a company truck, cell phone, and apartment...so none of those apply. I spend most of my disposable income on travel. Plus I thought using credit and debit cards (and therefore gift cards) to pay bills always inferred a few percent fee? This includes the Square account conversions that I also thought had a fee. ECV's have no fee...so I will be going for the DL gift cards.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 9:14 am

Well....today's the day. Any success yet?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 4:17 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Plus I thought using credit and debit cards (and therefore gift cards) to pay bills always inferred a few percent fee? This includes the Square account conversions that I also thought had a fee. ECV's have no fee...so I will be going for the DL gift cards.
Most services that accept credit cards (utility, phone, cable, satellite tv, what have you) eat the CC fees and do not pass those on. Some do.

In some cases you can even pay more than your current bill should that be advantageous for whatever reason

Credit and debit are different animals.

Mostly FYI. If you don't have these types of payments then it wouldn't make as much sense for you, sure.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 9:55 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Are they still offering AMEX gift cards? That is the only reason I accept bumps. I made over $4,000 last year!
Old Jan 13, 2018, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by jackvogt
Are they still offering AMEX gift cards? That is the only reason I accept bumps. I made over $4,000 last year!
Yes...still offering AMEX cards....they are only valid for six months though.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 12:03 am

Programs: AA; Delta GM
I'd rather have a DL credit, but I admit that if I had a Target gift card I could use it to pay for paper products (paper towels, bathroom paper, tissues, etc.) and trash bags as well as cat food and litter.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: DL-PM
1/13 ATL-PIT was oversold by 9, they started at $200 a few people took them up on that to get bumped until 1pm (little bit long for only $200 if you ask me) raised it by $100 every 15 minutes or so. Last 4 volunteers were nabbed at $600.

The interesting part, to me, was that the last 4 or so volunteers were routed ATL-MSP-PIT and the MSP-PIT leg was showing delayed over an hour (which was the deciding factor for me), while the agents were advertising the "on-time" flight times.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA Gold MM, Hilton LTD, Marriott LTP, Hertz PC
1/22. ATL-DFW was over by 1. $400 for the next flight an hour later.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: Delta Gold
This past Saturday, BOS-MIA. First offer was $1000 Amex card, and a flight arriving 3 hours later. Unfortunately I was at the gate next door, flying to SFO, so I couldn't take advantage. Damn! I never heard the final outcome as my flight boarded, but I didn't see anyone leap to the counter when they first made the announcement.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 5:55 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
LGA-DFW (E-175) was oversold by four on Friday night. Because of the bad storm front passing through Texas and most of the Ohio Valley, our flight plan had us going west towards Chicago, then looping over Wichita and Oklahoma City before coming back towards DFW. The offer was $800 plus a hotel and rebooking the next day. I was doing a mileage and mattress run and my upgrade had cleared, so I wasn't all in on taking a bump. The best offer they gave me at the gate was $800 and a taxi voucher home, plus trip in vain refund. I didn't bite and told them to find me onboard if they needed me, I guess they re-did the numbers a bit as they ended up allowing 14 standbys on the flight and not taking any VBDs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.