Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Ticket Success - Post It Here

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2010, 8:36 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
My niece found out this weekend that she qualified for Jr. Olympics, which is Memorial Day Weekend in PDX. I was able to book two r/t tickets, ATL-PDT, 05/26-30/10 for 25k each, no problem. The outbound is direct, the return changes planes in SEA. Going rate was $600+/each.

Last edited by CJKatl; May 13, 2010 at 12:54 pm
Old May 13, 2010, 10:23 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by humanoid94
I booked three J tickets IAD-CDG-LHR (stopover)-AMS (final destination)-CDG-IAD on AF and KL in August. Total 100k each. Goes without saying that in all my searches following the advice on looking for low J tickets I didn't see a single low Delta flight in Y or J.
So you didn't see the AF awards at Delta.com but had to call the agents desk?

And pay $10 or is it more now for telephone booking?
Old May 13, 2010, 10:29 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by wco81

I've accepted that with DL not flying their metal DTW-CDG (seasonal?), it's going to be AF. Oddly, you can find availability (just find Low J DTW-CDG-LHR), then you know the exact dates/flights to ask for when you call. If one of the "enhancements" coming for the award calendar is being able to view and book alliance partner flights, that will remove that requirement.
Old May 13, 2010, 10:41 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I know the AF flight numbers I would want but it's a question of whether there are low BE awards for the dates I want.

Hopefully bad publicity from things like IdeaWorks will force some changes.

I booked an award last July for this weekend and DL was good to me in 2009: the free 10K MQM, the rollover MQMs and Op upgrades for two international segments.

So when I start looking for spring/summer 2011, hopefully they have low award availability.
Old May 13, 2010, 10:54 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
I book lots of AF flights on Delta.com. I always do weeklong searches on Expertflyer.com for their US gateways and then book in multi-city search on dl.com. Works like a charm.
Old May 13, 2010, 12:13 pm

Just purchased 2 Y saver tickets MCO-STL for 25K miles
8/20 - MCO-DTW-STL
8/22 - STL-ATL-MCO

Going rate was ~ $300

Not a great CPM but saves me $$.
Old May 13, 2010, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
Got a SAV-DFW rt for 25k. Going rate was almost $700! and it was only 4 days prior to when I needed to leave, Friday to Sunday too, I thought i did pretty well!

Last edited by turnpike17; May 13, 2010 at 12:26 pm
Old May 13, 2010, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by wco81

I saw the AF awards on Delta.com, I just needed to search one way for coach tickets (which shows J seats for some reason), figure out which segments had availability then type it into the multi-destination search to grab the entire trip. During all my searches, though, I couldn't find anything on Delta metal, which I would have preferred to AF. (I have done 8 longhaul J segments on AF in the last year or so and would have liked to mix it up a bit).
Old May 13, 2010, 1:15 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
I booked three J tickets IAD-CDG-LHR (stopover)-AMS (final destination)-CDG-IAD on AF and KL in August. Total 100k each. Goes without saying that in all my searches following the advice on looking for low J tickets I didn't see a single low Delta flight in Y or J.
How in the world did you do this? I'm trying to burn some Confederate Miles in J IAD/AMS, and the very best I can do is 130k, with several nasty connections in Y via places that I don't want to visit. In a perfect world (or even in a previous life with NW) I could fly KL directly (SkyTeam anyone?) but that would be too much to expect today.
Old May 13, 2010, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Sabai
How in the world did you do this? I'm trying to burn some Confederate Miles in J IAD/AMS, and the very best I can do is 130k, with several nasty connections in Y via places that I don't want to visit. In a perfect world (or even in a previous life with NW) I could fly KL directly (SkyTeam anyone?) but that would be too much to expect today.
I didn't see any availability at all on KL IAD-AMS flight during my searches, which led me to wonder if KL even shows up on delta.com. I found a fair amount of availability on IAD-CDG on AF. The key is to search one way, for a coach award, and then look at the bottom after the Delta rip off amounts, if business is available, it will show up for 100K miles. Search each segment individually. I found almost unlimited availability on intra-europe flights between LHR,CDG, and AMS.
Old May 13, 2010, 6:32 pm

Programs: Waffle House DM
Got 2 BE returns from MCO-LHR via MSP with the flat bed 767-400 for 150K each. Could have got them for 100K with slower connections going through AMS, but 50K miles extra seemed a reasonable premium for flat bed 767-400 across the Atlantic, and the advantage (?) of MSP is you get more time to enjoy the beds to LHR. This is late September returning early November.
Old May 13, 2010, 7:36 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
Booked a MSP - (SFO) - HNL - SFO - MSP in first for 75K in Jan.
Old May 14, 2010, 12:35 am

I didn't see any availability at all on KL IAD-AMS flight during my searches, which led me to wonder if KL even shows up on delta.com.
sure does ... a few weeks ago i booked SFO-CDG-AMS with the return AMS-SFO ... the outbound is on AF and the return is on KL ... in business class both ways. does KL still offer the cool ceramic houses filled with jenever?
Old May 14, 2010, 3:32 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by henare
sure does ... a few weeks ago i booked SFO-CDG-AMS with the return AMS-SFO ... the outbound is on AF and the return is on KL ... in business class both ways. does KL still offer the cool ceramic houses filled with jenever?
Yep.
Old May 14, 2010, 7:49 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott G, Hilton G
For a short get away this summer on Mrs. AVFlyer's bday, booked BE award on DL metal JFK-PRG, a few days in Prague, AF metal in F (middle-seat open & drinks) PRG-CDG, a few more days in Paris, and then AF C CDG-JFK. 100K each + ~$150 in taxes/fees. Hotels will be on points. Flew the days I wanted to fly - even ideal times.

Got lucky ... definitely. Perfect Mother's Day gift ... priceless

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.