Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Ticket Success - Post It Here

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2023, 7:04 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Originally Posted by xliioper
TATL partner award levels out of Mexico and Caribbean do not require TATL segment be flown on partner metal (they only require at least one segment on partner metal). Requirements are found in the "Flight Application" section of award Fare Rules. The old partner levels out of US/Canada (which have been eliminated due to harmonization) used to require partner metal on TATL segment. The cheapest awards levels out of US/Canada require a roundtrip booking on most routes (particularly TATL). For SAN-CDG, there are currently roundtrip D1/business awards from 185K each-way (CSTR1850 awards) with 7 day minimum stay (below), and also 165K each-way (CSTR1650 awards) with a 14 day minimum stay. Min stay requirements are found in the Fare Rules for awards. These correlate with 7 day and 14 day min stay roundtrip D1 Z fares on route.

i think that is what i said, in far fewer words… except I didnt say anything about Canada or roundtrips.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 9:31 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Got CGK-China Y for 17.5k + $30. I have some questions about that itin which I will ask in a separate thread, but if it works out (or even if it doesn't and cancellation turns out free), I'd consider it a great use of DL miles, considering the difficulty and expense of getting to China these days.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 4:23 am

SIN-HKG-HGH oneway CX J for 22.5K AA miles. It is a red eye 2 hr stopover in HKG but considering the cash price is 2.5K thats over 10 cents a point
Old Apr 6, 2023, 4:44 pm

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by yoyo
SIN-HKG-HGH oneway CX J for 22.5K AA miles. It is a red eye 2 hr stopover in HKG but considering the cash price is 2.5K thats over 10 cents a point
Nice, but this thread is for SkyMiles redemptions.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
95k OW Business

Aug 1

MEX-JFK AM408 (788)
JFK-LAX DL985 (764)
LAX-SYD DL041 (359)
mattp1987 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 8:35 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by flyerCO
95k OW Business

Aug 1

MEX-JFK AM408 (788)
JFK-LAX DL985 (764)
LAX-SYD DL041 (359)
Why not just fly MEX-LAX-SYD? Same number of miles and HOURS less travel time. 787 as well on MEX-LAX.

Last edited by DLATL777; Apr 23, 2023 at 8:00 pm
Old Apr 23, 2023, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DLATL777
Why not just fly LAX-MEX-SYD? Same number of miles and HOURS less travel time. 787 as well on MEX-LAX.
Because the mileage amounts will be radically different when you start/end in US (or Canada). There's also the not so minor issue of AM not having any MEX-SYD flights from what I can see. DL has harmonized partner award levels with their own award levels for awards to/from US/Canada (as of last Fall). Awards which neither start nor end in US/Canada still generally have separate (much cheaper) award levels on partner metal redemptions. They aren't even that picky about which flights are on partner metal to qualify for them. On the previously available partner levels ex-US, the TPAC/TATL segment had to be flown on partner metal to qualify. On the partner awards out of Mexico/Caribbean, you just need a single flight on a partner to qualify for them.

I'm guessing the oddball routing above is to goose MQM/MQD earn.

At times in the past, DL would sometimes present broken fare awards which began in US and connected in MEX to places like LHR where US-MEX and MEX-LHR were on separate awards (with the MEX-LHR award being a cheap partner award). However, they look to have tightened up the fare end-on-end combination restrictions on awards between US and Mexico/Carribean and these redemptions are no longer being shown (and you now have to book the separate awards on separate tickets to achieve the same result).

flyerCO and GrayAnderson like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 23, 2023 at 9:48 am
Old Apr 23, 2023, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Why not just fly LAX-MEX-SYD? Same number of miles and HOURS less travel time. 787 as well on MEX-LAX.
Because the mileage amounts will be radically different when you start/end in US (or Canada). There's also the not so minor issue of AM not having any MEX-SYD flights from what I can see. DL has harmonized partner award levels with their own award levels for awards to/from US/Canada (as of last Fall). Awards which neither start nor end in US/Canada still generally have separate (much cheaper) award levels on partner metal redemptions. They aren't even that picky about which flights are on partner metal to qualify for them. On the previously available partner levels ex-US, the TPAC/TATL segment had to be flown on partner metal to qualify. On the partner awards out of Mexico/Caribbean, you just need a single flight on a partner to qualify for them.

In addition, earn extra MQM/MQD and to fly AM 787 MEX-LAX means at 10 hour layover at LAX.

This way I earn the extra and don't need to pay for a day use hotel on LA.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 11:36 am

At times in the past, DL would sometimes present broken fare awards which began in US and connected in MEX to places like LHR where US-MEX and MEX-LHR were on separate awards (with the MEX-LHR award being a cheap partner award). However, they look to have tightened up the fare end-on-end combination restrictions on awards between US and Mexico/Carribean and these redemptions are no longer being shown (and you now have to book the separate awards on separate tickets to achieve the same result).

Just easily ticketed MEX-LAX-SYD for 95k. Wont use it but easily went through-the irony is the 10 hour layover is ideal if having anything work wise to do in LA before flying on. Its also much less flying-im not a mileage or status runner.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just easily ticketed MEX-LAX-SYD for 95k. Wont use it but easily went through-the irony is the 10 hour layover is ideal if having anything work wise to do in LA before flying on. Its also much less flying-im not a mileage or status runner.
Right, but your original post said LAX-MEX-SYD which is not the same thing I now realize you really meant to type MEX-LAX-SYD. Since MEX-LAX-SYD does not start or end in US, it qualifies for partner award levels.
DLATL777 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 8:00 pm

Right, but your original post said LAX-MEX-SYD which is not the same thing I now realize you really meant to type MEX-LAX-SYD. Since MEX-LAX-SYD does not start or end in US, it qualifies for partner award levels.
Late Saturday nights will do this to you Folks. Indeed I did mean MEX-LAX-SYD.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO
95k OW Business

Aug 1

MEX-JFK AM408 (788)
JFK-LAX DL985 (764)
LAX-SYD DL041 (359)
Did DL.com offer you this routing or did you have to manually search for it. I completely forgot about this option to get to SYD and unexpectedly need to travel there later this year -- grabbing an RDU - MEX cash flight would be easy if it meant getting 95k to SYD instead of 450k
Old Apr 24, 2023, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Duke787
Did DL.com offer you this routing or did you have to manually search for it. I completely forgot about this option to get to SYD and unexpectedly need to travel there later this year -- grabbing an RDU - MEX cash flight would be easy if it meant getting 95k to SYD instead of 450k
It's one of a number of possible routings offered. You can't manually force routings on a single fare component with multi-city search with either revenue or award searches any more. The multi-city fare search will force fare breaks on each search term when you try to do this and will not try to combine segments on a single fare component.

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 24, 2023 at 10:40 am
Old Apr 24, 2023, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
It's one of a number of possible routings offered. You can't force routings on a single fare component with multi-city search with either revenue or award searches any more. The multi-city fare search will force fare breaks on each search term when you try to do this and will not try to combine segments on a single fare component.

In that case, dates I'm looking don't seem to have any AM saver availability. I'm getting 195k which is still much better than 350-450k but can't get it down to 95k. My actual destination is AKL and in both cases I'm getting crazy pricing with the AM segment included

Old Apr 24, 2023, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Duke787
Booked in app. Simply searched for MEX-SYD
Duke787 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.