Wiki Posts
Search

Award Ticket Success - Post It Here

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2021, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Duke787
215k/person is a crazy amount to pay for JFK - DPS where JFK - AMS is in Y
US to DPS awards are pricing out mostly as broken fares if you check the fare rules (at the "Fare Rules" link) when pricing them out. This is true whether you route east through ICN or west through AMS. I can't re-create AM DPS-JFK award, but I think it may be a broken fare with fare break in MEX as I see DPS-MEX business awards from 90K miles. For JFK-DPS, it's a broken fare with OP being charged a 120K CSMH1200 partner US-EU business award for JFK-AMS and a 95K CSM950 partner EU-Asia business award on AMS-DPS for a total of 215K miles. OP is being charged the 120K partner business class rate for JFK-AMS even though there is no inventory in O bucket for flight and is getting an economy X class seat. OP could save 85K miles per ticket by simply booking these as separate awards with a 35K YSMH350 partner coach award for JFK-AMS and a 95K CSM950 business award for AMS-DPS for a total of 130K miles. There is a 150 Euro ex-Europe origin surcharge when booking AMS-DPS standalone. But that's a pretty small price to pay to save 85K miles.

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 19, 2021 at 6:09 pm
Old Jul 19, 2021, 9:51 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by xliioper
US to DPS awards are pricing out mostly as broken fares if you check the fare rules (at the "Fare Rules" link) when pricing them out. This is true whether you route east through ICN or west through AMS. I can't re-create AM DPS-JFK award, but I think it may be a broken fare with fare break in MEX as I see DPS-MEX business awards from 90K miles. For JFK-DPS, it's a broken fare with OP being charged a 120K CSMH1200 partner US-EU business award for JFK-AMS and a 95K CSM950 partner EU-Asia business award on AMS-DPS for a total of 215K miles. OP is being charged the 120K partner business class rate for JFK-AMS even though there is no inventory in O bucket for flight and is getting an economy X class seat. OP could save 85K miles per ticket by simply booking these as separate awards with a 35K YSMH350 partner coach award for JFK-AMS and a 95K CSM950 business award for AMS-DPS for a total of 130K miles. There is a 150 Euro ex-Europe origin surcharge when booking AMS-DPS standalone. But that's a pretty small price to pay to save 85K miles.

This was great advice, thank you. Rebooked JFK-AMS DL economy, used PM status to bump us to C+. Saved a bunch of miles. DL was able to make changes to the same reservation. Now I need to figure out what happens with checked bags on this long of a layover @ AMs (12hrs).
CO-PLAT and Duke787 like this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JetOutTonight
This was great advice, thank you. Rebooked JFK-AMS DL economy, used PM status to bump us to C+. Saved a bunch of miles. DL was able to make changes to the same reservation. Now I need to figure out what happens with checked bags on this long of a layover @ AMs (12hrs).
They connect like normal. I fly CPT/JNB-AMS-IAH regularly . It has a 23.5hr connection. Bags transfer fine. It's only domestically here in US the 12hr thing causes issues.
CO-PLAT and JetOutTonight like this.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 6:31 am

Any chance a good Intl desk DL phone agent could still manually price this award into the partner Business space (with first leg in Y) on one ticket at the going low rate?

The Low rate should price ~120K from JFK based on the MEX-DPS example.

Last edited by seychellesbound; Jul 20, 2021 at 6:37 am
Old Jul 20, 2021, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are making assumptions that these are actually allowed routings for a single fare component (and that partners have same award levels). Neither routing is likely allowed (EU via KL or MEX via AM) on any single DL partner awards which is why they are both pricing as broken fares (the MEX routing looks to be 90K DPS-MEX + 46K MEX-JFK). Getting on a single fare component will likely require Asian partners over Pacific. Partner pricing to northern Asia is currently 120K each way (CSMH1200) with a 60-day advance purchase. Not clear if this is actually valid for all of Asia or not (about the furthest south I can currently price these partner awards is MNL). DL currently has different low level D1 awards for Northern Asia (120K each way with 90-day advance purchase and roundtrip booking) and Southeast Asia (145K with same requirements).

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 20, 2021 at 4:16 pm
Old Jul 25, 2021, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
AUG 2 - AUG 9

CUN-ATL-ATH
ATH-JFK-CUN

Delta One the whole way. 65k each direction
Old Jul 27, 2021, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Just booked GRU-ATL-PTY in D1 for 57.5I

I also edited my return for my ATH trip. I now fly ATH-JFK-ATL-GRU all D1 for 90k.

All told I'll fly CUN-ATL-ATH (65k) ATH-JFK-ATL-GRU (90k) GRU-ATL-PTY. (57.5k) all in D1 for total of 207.5k and $157 in fees/taxes. All booked within last few days for travel Aug 2, Aug 9th, and Aug 12th respectively. Booking out of non-US cities saves a ton of miles. Would've been three times the amount otherwise.
EZEDoesIt likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 4:33 am

ZRH-AMS-SIN-DPS for 90K in business on KLM for Christmas. Keeping fingers crossed that Covid situation in Indonesia will improve soon.

For flight back got a paid ticket DPS-IST-ZRH on Turkish Airlines for only $1300 (business, refundable).
Old Jul 28, 2021, 9:15 am

Programs: DL PM
My flights itinerary has been cancelled by DL/KL for Oct 21 due to my Oct 22 AMS-JFK being cancelled by KL

Complete itinerary JFK-AMS-DPS.

DL rebooked me on an Oct 18th departure.

Being awards tickets, what are my rebooking options.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 10:05 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by JetOutTonight
My flights itinerary has been cancelled by DL/KL for Oct 21 due to my Oct 22 AMS-JFK being cancelled by KL

Complete itinerary JFK-AMS-DPS.

DL rebooked me on an Oct 18th departure.

Being awards tickets, what are my rebooking options.
DL can easily put you on any other DL operated flight getting you to AMS in time for your DPS departure (assuming this is a DL paid or SkyPeso ticket). Other KL operated flights may or may not require same fare class buckets, YMMV. Or you can cancel of course for a full refund if you wish.

Last edited by pgh234; Jul 28, 2021 at 10:32 am
Old Jul 28, 2021, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pgh234
DL can easily put you on any other DL operated flight getting you to AMS in time for your DPS departure (assuming this is a DL paid or SkyPeso ticket). Other KL operated flights may or may not require same fair class buckets, YMMV. Or you can cancel of course for a full refund if you wish.

There are other issues here. The KL AMS-SIN-DPS flights were reduced from 4x weekly to 1x weekly for October (Tuesday only). More specifically, the AMS-SIN flights are still daily, but the tag flight to DPS is now just once a week. The JFK departure on the 18th is timed to connect to AMS-SIN-DPS flight on the 19th. The options are pretty limited here. GA has AMS-CGK-DPS flights on the 23rd, but it's probably a longshot to get on those flights.

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 28, 2021 at 10:38 am
Old Jul 28, 2021, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

DL can only book on partner flights if award space is available.

However as this was a KL that waa cancelled, KLM has a duty under EC261 to rebook passenger. GA is the most likely option. If there's award space DL can easily rebook you onto these. If not they'll need to get KLM involved as KLM, not DL is responsible for paying to rebook.

Note KLM is also on hook for any costs you incur as result of flight cancellation. (Ie non-refundable hotel costs, etc)
Old Jul 28, 2021, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper
There are other issues here. The KL AMS-SIN-DPS flights were reduced from 4x weekly to 1x weekly for October (Tuesday only). More specifically, the AMS-SIN flights are still daily, but the tag flight to DPS is now just once a week. The JFK departure on the 18th is timed to connect to AMS-SIN-DPS flight on the 19th. The options are pretty limited here. GA has AMS-CGK-DPS flights on the 23rd, but it's probably a longshot to get on those flights.
KLM will continue from SIN to CGK, there is availability on 20th. Its not clear if Bali will reopen in October. Expect schedules and regulations change several times between now and October. But if you have business visa or other legitimate reason, routing via CGK is a safer bet.

I have a similar KL flight to DPS around Christmas, but keeping my plans flexible if things change.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 8:55 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
RDU-ATL-SJU-ATL-RDU in First for 93,000 miles. Not great, but it's for my fiancé and it's a 764 and a 332 on the ATL-SJU-ATL legs. Besides, it's not like 93,000 miles will get you to Europe anymore
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 9:06 pm

So many AUS-SEA or SEA-AUS for 4k (BE) or 6.5k in Y. Such cheap mileage runs.
Duke787 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.