FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Award Ticket Success - Post It Here
View Single Post
Old Jul 19, 2021, 9:51 pm
JetOutTonight

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by xliioper
US to DPS awards are pricing out mostly as broken fares if you check the fare rules (at the "Fare Rules" link) when pricing them out. This is true whether you route east through ICN or west through AMS. I can't re-create AM DPS-JFK award, but I think it may be a broken fare with fare break in MEX as I see DPS-MEX business awards from 90K miles. For JFK-DPS, it's a broken fare with OP being charged a 120K CSMH1200 partner US-EU business award for JFK-AMS and a 95K CSM950 partner EU-Asia business award on AMS-DPS for a total of 215K miles. OP is being charged the 120K partner business class rate for JFK-AMS even though there is no inventory in O bucket for flight and is getting an economy X class seat. OP could save 85K miles per ticket by simply booking these as separate awards with a 35K YSMH350 partner coach award for JFK-AMS and a 95K CSM950 business award for AMS-DPS for a total of 130K miles. There is a 150 Euro ex-Europe origin surcharge when booking AMS-DPS standalone. But that's a pretty small price to pay to save 85K miles.

This was great advice, thank you. Rebooked JFK-AMS DL economy, used PM status to bump us to C+. Saved a bunch of miles. DL was able to make changes to the same reservation. Now I need to figure out what happens with checked bags on this long of a layover @ AMs (12hrs).