Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Ticket Success - Post It Here

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2023, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Great tips on continuing to check the inventory for MEX - SYD. I was able to snag MEX - SYD so now I've got both directions covered -- will decide later if I keep the trip but at least I've got the structure of it put together.

Now about that RDU - MEX flight...
Old May 5, 2023, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
Great tips on continuing to check the inventory for MEX - SYD. I was able to snag MEX - SYD so now I've got both directions covered -- will decide later if I keep the trip but at least I've got the structure of it put together.

Now about that RDU - MEX flight...
Quick Question about this... If you book an award ticket flight from MEX to SYD can you change or cancel it? I tried searching the Delta website and it says that Award Tickets originating from the US and Canada can be changed without fees. It doesn't mention Mexico. The flights and dates I have been looking at are Sunday travel dates and they were all significantly lower then the Sunday date that I need that was released today. Can I book one of the AM and DL flights and cancel it or change it to one of the flights on Delta only if the price drops?
Old May 15, 2023, 1:02 am

Programs: DL DM&MM, DL KMwannabe, HH, AA, TG,
I don’t know how far this thread has strayed from the “success with award travel“ theme, but thought I would post a success.

we want to tickets on a rather specific date next February SFO-AKL. Definitely wanted Delta one seats, for two passengers.
Those were fairly easy to find on the nonstop from LAX to Auckland. However, those flights are using the old.Latam planes, with not a terribly comfortable delta one configuration. We have not flown in the D1 suites. We therefore wanted to be routed via Sydney, transferring to.LA800 SYD-AKL. The first several agents couldn’t even see the flight, let alone figure out how to ticket us. We were even willing to pay for that last leg, but wanted to make sure that our baggage could be checked through.Finally, got a wonderful agent who was able to get us the flights that we wanted for all three segments. Unfortunately, we lost the 15% award travel discount as Amexdelta card holders, but for a “mere” 410,000 miles each were able to get exactly the flights we wanted.
Ah, for the days of round-trip first class New York to Bangkok on Singapore airlines for 180,000 miles!
strickerj likes this.
Old May 15, 2023, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Steve007NY
I don’t know how far this thread has strayed from the “success with award travel“ theme, but thought I would post a success.

we want to tickets on a rather specific date next February SFO-AKL. Definitely wanted Delta one seats, for two passengers.
Those were fairly easy to find on the nonstop from LAX to Auckland. However, those flights are using the old.Latam planes, with not a terribly comfortable delta one configuration. We have not flown in the D1 suites. We therefore wanted to be routed via Sydney, transferring to.LA800 SYD-AKL. The first several agents couldn’t even see the flight, let alone figure out how to ticket us. We were even willing to pay for that last leg, but wanted to make sure that our baggage could be checked through.Finally, got a wonderful agent who was able to get us the flights that we wanted for all three segments. Unfortunately, we lost the 15% award travel discount as Amexdelta card holders, but for a “mere” 410,000 miles each were able to get exactly the flights we wanted.
Ah, for the days of round-trip first class New York to Bangkok on Singapore airlines for 180,000 miles!
This sounds like it price as two awards each way, not one.

Could've booked SFO-SYD and SYD-AKL separately and then gotten the AMEX discount on SFO-SYD. DL/LA through check across tickets.
Old May 15, 2023, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, one-way D1 awards on SFO-AKL look to start at 410K miles. These are CSH4100 awards and have a 14-day AP. The "Fare Details:" line in email receipt will have award fare component breakdown.

Roundtrip D1 awards on SFO-AKL start at 325K miles each way (650K miles total) before Amex discount. These are CSVR3250 awards and have a 90-day AP and roundtrip booking requirement. Fare rule screenshot below. The 'R' in the middle of the fare basis code indicates a roundtrip booking requirement for fare (can be open jaw). The min stay requirement (if any) will be listed in the fare rules.

With Amex discount for DL metal, total price for roundtrip awards would drop from 650K miles to 552,400.

Last edited by xliioper; May 15, 2023 at 8:53 am
Old May 15, 2023, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by xliioper
Actually, one-way D1 awards on SFO-AKL look to start at 410K miles. These are CSH4100 awards and have a 14-day AP. The "Fare Details:" line in email receipt will have award fare component breakdown.

Roundtrip D1 awards on SFO-AKL start at 325K miles each way (650K miles total) before Amex discount. These are CSVR3250 awards and have a 90-day AP and roundtrip booking requirement. Fare rule screenshot below. The 'R' in the middle of the fare basis code indicates a roundtrip booking requirement for fare (can be open jaw). The min stay requirement (if any) will be listed in the fare rules.

With Amex discount for DL metal, total price for roundtrip awards would drop from 650K miles to 552,400.

What is cost of SYD-AKL RT as a stand-alone. Curious if is 410k or 325k+85k
Old May 15, 2023, 10:10 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Steve007NY

410,000 each one-way?
What would it have cost on the direct? Not sure that the D1 suites are worth the connection or extra cost.
Old May 15, 2023, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
What is cost of SYD-AKL RT as a stand-alone. Curious if is 410k or 325k+85k
325K miles each-way is the lowest level roundtrip D1 award SFO-AKL route (CSVR3250 fare basis code). OP booked a one-way award and thus would not qualify for a roundtrip award level. Lowest level for SFO-AKL route as a one-way D1 award is 410K miles (without Amex discount).

Originally Posted by mot29
410,000 each one-way?
What would it have cost on the direct? Not sure that the D1 suites are worth the connection or extra cost.
Low level SFO-LAX-AKL is same 410K miles (CSH4100 fare basis code) without discount. This is the same award OP got as they booked him a low-level SFO-AKL award.

With AMEX 15% discount, this gets reduced to 348,500 miles as can be seen below.

Last edited by xliioper; May 15, 2023 at 11:06 am
Old May 15, 2023, 12:33 pm

325K miles each-way is the lowest level roundtrip D1 award SFO-AKL route (CSVR3250 fare basis code). OP booked a one-way award and thus would not qualify for a roundtrip award level. Lowest level for SFO-AKL route as a one-way D1 award is 410K miles (without Amex discount).

Low level SFO-LAX-AKL is same 410K miles (CSH4100 fare basis code) without discount. This is the same award OP got as they booked him a low-level SFO-AKL award.

With AMEX 15% discount, this gets reduced to 348,500 miles as can be seen below.
Feel pretty satisfied with my award last Dec-Jan - SFO-LAX-SYD-LAX-DCA for 670,000 in D1. That was before the 15% Amex discount was in place. Even managed to get the LAX-DCA D1 flight after a schedule change on my original connection that was via ATL in FC.
Old May 15, 2023, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mot29
Feel pretty satisfied with my award last Dec-Jan - SFO-LAX-SYD-LAX-DCA for 670,000 in D1. That was before the 15% Amex discount was in place. Even managed to get the LAX-DCA D1 flight after a schedule change on my original connection that was via ATL in FC.
As an open-jaw, that qualifies for roundtrip award levels. But finding dates with OZ bucket open in order to get lowest award levels can be challenging. Most of the dates with OZ open generally don't seem to include the LAX-DCA D1 flight.

Old May 15, 2023, 1:18 pm

As an open-jaw, that qualifies for roundtrip award levels. But finding dates with OZ bucket open in order to get lowest award levels can be challenging. Most of the dates with OZ open generally don't seem to include the LAX-DCA D1 flight.
Originally booked I was on a connection LAX-DCA, but a schedule change allowed me to grab the D1 LAX-DCA non-stop. I got lucky on this one..
Actually all of last year was lucky. Managed to snag 3 trans-Atlantics and use GUCs both ways on all of them.
Old May 15, 2023, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
akl-lax-mex for 95k in J.

are those old Latam seats bad for a couple? Are the seats fully lie flat and level?
Old May 15, 2023, 2:00 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by beachfan
akl-lax-mex for 95k in J.

are those old Latam seats bad for a couple? Are the seats fully lie flat and level?
The A350 LATAM seats are the best seats in the DL fleet hands down (though privacy-wise, sure, D1 suites give you more). It's the same seat as MU 33E if you've flown that.
Full flat rectangular non-angled, no coffin effect bed that is wide without any narrowing at head or feet.

Enjoy these superior seats before DL Deltifies the cabin.
beachfan likes this.
Old May 16, 2023, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Hate to admit the inflated mileage amount but I didn’t know what else to to.

LAX-JFK-MXP in PS 125,000 SMs ONE-WAY.

Returning from LIN (Milan Linate) using 90,000 AF/KL FB miles on KL in Premium Comfort.

This was the most miles per flights I’ve ver blown. But it was either the miles or at least $2600 total for PS/PE and that’s absurd. And I tried almost everything. Different city pairs, flying into other “cheaper” airports like LHR, FRA and BRU and then looking into cheap Ryanair/EasyJet/Wizzair one-ways (to LHR involves changing airports - ugh!). I even looked into flying ex-MEX. Nothing brought up moderately priced itineraries. It’s just a very expensive summer.

I need to get to Rome. LAX to FCO in PS one-way was over 200k SMs! So I’m taking a train from Milan to Rome for 50 Euro.

Considering I paid 90k SMs total round-trip in PS/PE for LAX-AMS, LHR-LAX in the winter, it’s a bit disheartening.
Old May 16, 2023, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Award levels vary based on season, route, and roundtrip vs one-way bookings. A summer one-way award is generally always going to be much higher than roundtrip bookings in shoulder/offseason (roundtrip booking and seasonality requirements are listed in the award fare rules).

With Amex discount, low-level seasonal roundtrip PS awards from LAX to MXP start at 85K each-way in the shoulder season and 68K miles each-way in the offseason (Oct 30th - Mar 15th travel requirement with exclusions around holidays). A 7 day minimum stay is required for these levels in addition to roundtrip booking. Open jaw bookings also qualify for the lower roundtrip booking levels. There are 54.4K each-way (with Amex discount) roundtrip PS awards on LAX-LHR valid for travel from Sep 19th through May 18th.

Last edited by xliioper; May 16, 2023 at 4:52 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.