Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Welcome! 2005-2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Welcome! 2005-2018

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2016, 11:19 pm

Delta vs American Status Program

I live in Atlanta and have flown exclusively on Delta for years. Now my company is wanting me to switch to American. The problem is that I would have to connect thru CLT, which is not that a great of an airport for connections.

My question is since I was Gold last year on Delta and I am now starting all over this year, does anyone think that I should switch to American or continue to push for Delta?

Which airline offers the best status program and how quickly can I move up in status?

Thanks for your advice.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 2:49 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
The first time I was affected by a WX problem. Was scheduled to fly LGA-MSP-MSY (on a G fare) early Saturday AM and had to be back in MSY by Saturday afternoon.

Friday flights looked pretty well loaded so I kept checking for the WX Waiver to be posted and caught it no more than 15 minutes after it was up. Got to the DM line with a few second wait and the CSR put me on my requested trip through ATL but told me that the reissue desk would have to give me a new ticket.

The CSR at the reissue desk suggested that ATL could get pretty dicey for connections on Friday afternoon and put me on a non-stop with no fare increase (confirmed in F). It was well handled - another example of DL service quality.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 3:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by jrl767
I've been working about half time most of the past two weeks ... basically 8am to 8pm
really hoping we get an extension on the submittal date for this proposal, so I can get to a conference in LA next weekend and then spend a couple days working from home in Seattle
Good luck with that.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 4:48 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by jrl767
I've been working about half time most of the past two weeks ... basically 8am to 8pm
really hoping we get an extension on the submittal date for this proposal, so I can get to a conference in LA next weekend and then spend a couple days working from home in Seattle
I worked with someone who's philosophy I adopted. It's simple and easy to remember and you get a lot of work done. "There are 24 hours in the day, and then there's the night!"
Old Jan 21, 2016, 7:34 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by roadiega
I live in Atlanta and have flown exclusively on Delta for years. Now my company is wanting me to switch to American. The problem is that I would have to connect thru CLT, which is not that a great of an airport for connections.

My question is since I was Gold last year on Delta and I am now starting all over this year, does anyone think that I should switch to American or continue to push for Delta?

Which airline offers the best status program and how quickly can I move up in status?

Thanks for your advice.
That really depends on your company, I suppose. I try to avoid connecting through CLT as well. As you know, the setup is basically a central area with spokes that make up the terminal and no way to skip walking all the way to the center and all the way back out on another spoke. For that matter, ORD isn't great either, but it's probably better for AA connections than UA connections. DFW isn't bad, but I could be partial because I usually schedule at least 2 hours so I can visit the Centurion Lounge. I think DL with ATL, DTW, and MSP (never flown through SLC) has the best airports for connections of the legacies, and you happen to live in one of those.

All that said, if your employer is forcing you to fly AA then you'll probably end up flying AA. You can enroll in an AA Gold (equivalent to DL Silver) or AA Plat (equivalent to DL Gold) challenge for $120 or $200, respectively. The requirements to meet the challenge don't look too hard, and then you'll get benefits like preferred seating (maybe Main Cabin Extra, you'll have to look up the perks) and start earning upgrade certificates. Be aware that AA only offers unlimited complimentary upgrades to their 100k level Exec Plat flyers, but if you can make it that high it might be the best status available right now from the US legacies.

I don't know what exactly you're looking for with status, but being based in ATL and flying AA at least somewhat you might look into gaining status on AS. That would get you preferred seats on both DL and AA and put you very low on the upgrade list on DL. You would also earn more redeemable miles that way. Unfortunately, you aren't going to get many upgrades unless on AS metal, and I doubt you're doing that much out of ATL.

Good luck deciding and welcome to FT!

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
The first time I was affected by a WX problem. Was scheduled to fly LGA-MSP-MSY (on a G fare) early Saturday AM and had to be back in MSY by Saturday afternoon.

Friday flights looked pretty well loaded so I kept checking for the WX Waiver to be posted and caught it no more than 15 minutes after it was up. Got to the DM line with a few second wait and the CSR put me on my requested trip through ATL but told me that the reissue desk would have to give me a new ticket.

The CSR at the reissue desk suggested that ATL could get pretty dicey for connections on Friday afternoon and put me on a non-stop with no fare increase (confirmed in F). It was well handled - another example of DL service quality.
Very nice! Despite all the changes we like to gripe about, the customer-facing agents are still top notch.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 7:58 am
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Stranded in Guatemala

Lat night's flight from ATL-GUA never arrived due to closure due to some volcano (Picaya) ash closing the arrivals etc.

Needless to say I'm stuck waiting for something to arrive today that will fly me out of here
Old Jan 21, 2016, 12:29 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
From the things that have happened in the ATL file:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03g1sgf

American shot-putter Adam Nelson was awarded a retrospective Olympic gold when the Ukrainian athlete that finished ahead of him at the 2004 Games in Athens was banned for doping. Sadly, Nelson had to wait nine years to finally get his hands on the medal.

When he did receive it, there was no podium, no national anthem playing in the background and no crowd cheering him on. Instead, Nelson was handed his gold by a US Olympic official while sat at a dining table in the food court of Atlanta airport.
Wonder which food court area.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 4:33 pm

Why did I go back to school?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by kipper
Why did I go back to school?
"They say repetition is good for a developing brain."
Old Jan 21, 2016, 4:46 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Howste
Sorry, could you repeat that?

Originally Posted by kipper
"The church is near but the road is icy, the bar is far but I will walk carefully"
Walk carefully tomorrow! Best wishes to anyone in the storm area... mom's going to stay with relatives for a couple days so as not to be home alone in case she gets snowed in.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
Sorry, could you repeat that?

Walk carefully tomorrow! Best wishes to anyone in the storm area... mom's going to stay with relatives for a couple days so as not to be home alone in case she gets snowed in.

Thanks. It shouldn't be bad tomorrow during the day. Tomorrow night, I have no plans.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
I guess you didn't recognize the quote since your kids have four legs and probably don't watch juvenile movies.

The weather here tomorrow is going to be good enough that my wife wants me to go do some yardwork. I guess my trip was a little too short this week.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 6:33 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
I guess you didn't recognize the quote since your kids have four legs and probably don't watch juvenile movies.

The weather here tomorrow is going to be good enough that my wife wants me to go do some yardwork. I guess my trip was a little too short this week.
I'm stuck doing lawnwork this weekend too. I last cut the grass the day I put up Christmas decorations in early Dec, and now it needs to be cut again. On the plus side, the highs are 61° Saturday and 72° Sunday. I'll take that over 30° and 36° in Dayton (which actually isn't bad at all for late Jan).
Old Jan 21, 2016, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by SuperG1955

On WX, they're very likely to prefer non-stops; there's less that can go wrong with one flight than two. Why did you request a different connection? It was WX, not SDC, so the rules are a lot more liberal.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:22 pm

LOL, no kids movies here. They prefer things like Dog TV.

I'd rather have to do yardwork than shovel snow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.