Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match Challenge : The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bakrgby
All,

A wikipost seemed to be useful for this thread to help FTers find the most current infomation regarding DL's Status Match Challenge.

SKYMILES MEDALLION® STATUS MATCH CHALLENGE

Official Delta Site and Sign-Up

Status Match Period:
90 Days

MQM/MQS Qualifying Flights must be flown on Delta, Delta Connection or Partner Flights:
In order to extend your Medallion status after the 90 days, you'll need to earn a specific number of Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) or Medallion Qualification Segments (MQSs) within the 90 days of enrolling by flying Delta or Delta Connection®, and partner airlines.

Comparable Status:
  • DL Silver Medallion (FO) - AA Gold; UA Premier Silver; AS MVP
  • DL Gold Medallion (GM) - AA Platinum; UA Premier Gold; AS MVP Gold
  • DL Platinum Medallion (PM) - AA Executive Platinum; UA 1K; AS MVP Gold 75K
  • DL Diamond Medallion (DM) - DL does not typically match to DM.
    From dl.com: If you have status with another airline not listed above, you may still be eligible for this challenge. Please submit your information below to confirm eligibility.

MQM / MQS Requirement:
  • FO: 6,250 MQMs or 8 MQSs and $750MQD or MQD waiver
  • GM: 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs and $1500MQD or MQD waiver
  • PM: 18,750 MQMs or 25 MQSs and $2250MQD or MQD waiver
"MQMs/MQSs/MQDs earned through other sources, including but not limited to SkyMiles Credit Cards, do not count towards the challenge."

Criteria for Participation:
  • Member has not received a status match or complimentary Medallion status in the past three years
  • Is currently a non-Medallion member
  • Must present valid and current elite credential or statement showing elite status from another airline
  • Status being matched must be earned and not complementary.

Other Notes from dl.com:
  • A physical Medallion membership card will not be issued for the 90-day qualification period. You may enjoy Medallion benefits on Delta or Delta Connection by providing your SkyMiles number when making reservations or at check-in. You can also access your Membership Card through the Fly Delta app. During the 90-day period, you will not have access to all reciprocal Medallion benefits with Delta's partner airlines, including access to SkyTeam® lounges.
  • Members who are matched to Platinum Medallion status will not be eligible for Choice Benefits until the flight requirement to maintain Platinum Medallion status is met.
  • Through this offer, you may maintain the same or lower Medallion status level as your matched status. If you are matched to Silver Medallion status, you will not be able to earn Gold Medallion status through this offer, even if you will fly more than 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs during the offer period. But if you have been matched to Gold Medallion status and you only fly 6,250 MQMs or 8 MQSs, you will earn Silver Medallion status. Your Medallion status will be returned to non-Medallion status if you are unable to complete the minimum flight requirement before the end of the 90-day period.
  • Medallion status match is only offered for Platinum, Gold and Silver Medallion levels.

When to request:
  • Requests from 1/1 - 6/30 will receive status through 1/31 of the following year.
  • Requests from 7/1 - 12/31 will receive status through 1/31 of the second year.

Corporate accounts:
Depending on your company's agreement with Delta, you may have different qualification requirements and/or an alternate method of requesting a status match or challenge. Check your company's intranet or travel manager.

Current Processing Time:
4-5 days as of July 31st 2022
Print Wikipost

Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match Challenge : The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:34 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, AA Plat Pro, F9 Elite 100k
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
They asked a two part question, I bolded what I was answering to.
Yep, I understand you. And I was picking up on "However I have some flights scheduled,​​​​​​..will...these flights count towards the qualification during the 90 day period"

I thought the poster was asking if flights within the 90 day status match window (whenever it occurs) that were ALREADY booked prior to being accepted for the challenge would be part of the count towards status, in which case, as we both now is a yes.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, Ex-AA EXP, HZ Pres, MRT AMB/LTP
Thanks for the answers. I received my status match Saturday, 3/9. Got upgraded Sunday, 3/10. And Flew Monday, 3/11. This was after I submitted the request Monday 3/4. Great welcome by Delta overall. My first flight on Delta. JFK/SEA.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:21 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Hi all, been an AA FF for years now and just moved to Amsterdam about 2 months ago. Was successfully accepted for the challenge yesterday so now I've got 3 months of Platinum Medallion status. And more importantly, 3 months to earn the minimums to keep some level after the challenge is over. I've got a trip to the US on Delta/KLM in 2 weeks that will get me almost 10K MQMs, so close to hitting the Gold minimum. I'll have some other travel within Europe on KLM likely. I tried to research it, but it wasn't clear. If I book KLM marketed and operated flights but credit to Delta, will I receive any MQMs? If so, is there some type of chart? Like 50% MQMs of the miles flown etc. Thanks in advance and I'd welcome any other tips to help me hopefully achieve the Platinum minimums during the challenge!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:27 am

Programs: AA Plat - 2MM, Delta - GM
Originally Posted by Youngtraveldude
If I book KLM marketed and operated flights but credit to Delta, will I receive any MQMs? If so, is there some type of chart?
I live in Europe as well and just successfully completed a Delta status match challenge to Gold based on my AA Platinum status. I flew mainly Alitalia flights during the challenge and they definitely counted so your KLM ones should as well. My flights were booked directly with Alitalia and I just put in my Delta Skymiles number and it all worked. It did take about 10 days for the flights to post though.

Good luck. I'm really happy with Delta and the status match! Will definitely fly enough this year to continue the Gold into next year as well.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi all, been an AA FF for years now and just moved to Amsterdam about 2 months ago. Was successfully accepted for the challenge yesterday so now I've got 3 months of Platinum Medallion status. And more importantly, 3 months to earn the minimums to keep some level after the challenge is over. I've got a trip to the US on Delta/KLM in 2 weeks that will get me almost 10K MQMs, so close to hitting the Gold minimum. I'll have some other travel within Europe on KLM likely. I tried to research it, but it wasn't clear. If I book KLM marketed and operated flights but credit to Delta, will I receive any MQMs? If so, is there some type of chart? Like 50% MQMs of the miles flown etc. Thanks in advance and I'd welcome any other tips to help me hopefully achieve the Platinum minimums during the challenge!
Yes, KLM marketed/operated flights count. Partner earnings charts are on delta.com. Just google for "delta partner earnings". All flights should earn 100% MQM's (with 50% bonus for typical business class and high-fare Y/B/M coach) although there are apparently some deep-discount Asia business fares (O fares) that don't earn anything.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:03 am

Thanks! Was doing more research and was pleasantly surprised to see the same 100% MQM earning. Was just looking for a confirmation. Much different and better than AA 😁
Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:19 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I'm tryign to figure out if I'm eligible for a status match. I asked Delta's twitter account and they repeated what the challenge rules said about the 3-year rule. I applied for a status match back in June 2017. On the morning I was approved, but before I started the challenge, I asked to withdraw and they granted it. So does the fact that they approved my 2017 request count as a status match, so I wouldn't be eligible for the status challenge for this year, even if I canceled without taking a flight? Or am I eligible?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by LBJ
Yes, KLM marketed/operated flights count. Partner earnings charts are on delta.com. Just google for "delta partner earnings". All flights should earn 100% MQM's (with 50% bonus for typical business class and high-fare Y/B/M coach) although there are apparently some deep-discount Asia business fares (O fares) that don't earn anything.
PE fares on DL/AF/VS (but not yet available on KL) also earn the 50% MQM bonus, sometimes for a relatively small price difference from regular economy fares.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by CarmenOM

PE fares on DL/AF/VS (but not yet available on KL) also earn the 50% MQM bonus, sometimes for a relatively small price difference from regular economy fares.
Great to know, thanks! One more. Well, two. If you do a paid upgrade from economy to premium select or business, do you get the enhanced MQM earning rate? And if flying basic economy, can you do paid upgrades? I know all complimentary/certificate upgrades don’t work, but wasn’t sure on paid.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great to know, thanks! One more. Well, two. If you do a paid upgrade from economy to premium select or business, do you get the enhanced MQM earning rate? And if flying basic economy, can you do paid upgrades? I know all complimentary/certificate upgrades don’t work, but wasn’t sure on paid.
If you do a paid upgrade prior to 24-hour check-in it qualifies for bonus MQM's. Except for paid upgrades on an award ticket, those still earn nothing. Basic Economy fares are not changeable or upgradeable at all.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by chenalex
I'm tryign to figure out if I'm eligible for a status match. I asked Delta's twitter account and they repeated what the challenge rules said about the 3-year rule. I applied for a status match back in June 2017. On the morning I was approved, but before I started the challenge, I asked to withdraw and they granted it. So does the fact that they approved my 2017 request count as a status match, so I wouldn't be eligible for the status challenge for this year, even if I canceled without taking a flight? Or am I eligible?
I kinda doubt that anyone here can give you an authoritative answer. If you're ready to fly Delta again I suggest you simply request the challenge and see what happens. I don't know if there's an opportunity to enter free text comments in the online form, but once you submit the request you should be able to call Delta, tell them you submitted, and explain what happened in 2017. If it comes back rejected you should then have a direct line to the folks who do the approvals and you can plead your case.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:29 am

If I successfully meet the criteria to maintain Platinum status once my current challenge is over, what happens to MQMs that went above the 18,750? Ie I earn 25K MQMs during my challenge. Does that overage then count towards me earning Diamond? Ie once the challenge is over I’m at 75K EQMs plus anything I’ve earned over the 18,750?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
It's a Platinum Challenge, not a 75K MQM head start on Diamond. You have the MQMs you fly.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
It's a Platinum Challenge, not a 75K MQM head start on Diamond. You have the MQMs you fly.
Ok, thanks.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:27 am
formerly Goflyer100

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion - Hilton Diamond
I know that AeroMexico and Delta have an partnership between their frequent flyer programs. My question is when do I actually get an upgrade on AM flights with a DL Platinum status? Is this only on flights within North and Central America. I might book a flight from MEX to BOG in Y during my DL status challenge to Platinum, will I have a chance to get an upgrade on this route with Delta Platinum status?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.