Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match Challenge : The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bakrgby
All,

A wikipost seemed to be useful for this thread to help FTers find the most current infomation regarding DL's Status Match Challenge.

SKYMILES MEDALLION® STATUS MATCH CHALLENGE

Official Delta Site and Sign-Up

Status Match Period:
90 Days

MQM/MQS Qualifying Flights must be flown on Delta, Delta Connection or Partner Flights:
In order to extend your Medallion status after the 90 days, you'll need to earn a specific number of Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) or Medallion Qualification Segments (MQSs) within the 90 days of enrolling by flying Delta or Delta Connection®, and partner airlines.

Comparable Status:
  • DL Silver Medallion (FO) - AA Gold; UA Premier Silver; AS MVP
  • DL Gold Medallion (GM) - AA Platinum; UA Premier Gold; AS MVP Gold
  • DL Platinum Medallion (PM) - AA Executive Platinum; UA 1K; AS MVP Gold 75K
  • DL Diamond Medallion (DM) - DL does not typically match to DM.
    From dl.com: If you have status with another airline not listed above, you may still be eligible for this challenge. Please submit your information below to confirm eligibility.

MQM / MQS Requirement:
  • FO: 6,250 MQMs or 8 MQSs and $750MQD or MQD waiver
  • GM: 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs and $1500MQD or MQD waiver
  • PM: 18,750 MQMs or 25 MQSs and $2250MQD or MQD waiver
"MQMs/MQSs/MQDs earned through other sources, including but not limited to SkyMiles Credit Cards, do not count towards the challenge."

Criteria for Participation:
  • Member has not received a status match or complimentary Medallion status in the past three years
  • Is currently a non-Medallion member
  • Must present valid and current elite credential or statement showing elite status from another airline
  • Status being matched must be earned and not complementary.

Other Notes from dl.com:
  • A physical Medallion membership card will not be issued for the 90-day qualification period. You may enjoy Medallion benefits on Delta or Delta Connection by providing your SkyMiles number when making reservations or at check-in. You can also access your Membership Card through the Fly Delta app. During the 90-day period, you will not have access to all reciprocal Medallion benefits with Delta's partner airlines, including access to SkyTeam® lounges.
  • Members who are matched to Platinum Medallion status will not be eligible for Choice Benefits until the flight requirement to maintain Platinum Medallion status is met.
  • Through this offer, you may maintain the same or lower Medallion status level as your matched status. If you are matched to Silver Medallion status, you will not be able to earn Gold Medallion status through this offer, even if you will fly more than 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs during the offer period. But if you have been matched to Gold Medallion status and you only fly 6,250 MQMs or 8 MQSs, you will earn Silver Medallion status. Your Medallion status will be returned to non-Medallion status if you are unable to complete the minimum flight requirement before the end of the 90-day period.
  • Medallion status match is only offered for Platinum, Gold and Silver Medallion levels.

When to request:
  • Requests from 1/1 - 6/30 will receive status through 1/31 of the following year.
  • Requests from 7/1 - 12/31 will receive status through 1/31 of the second year.

Corporate accounts:
Depending on your company's agreement with Delta, you may have different qualification requirements and/or an alternate method of requesting a status match or challenge. Check your company's intranet or travel manager.

Current Processing Time:
4-5 days as of July 31st 2022
Print Wikipost

Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match Challenge : The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: AS Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wayfarer613
So I'm in a similar situation. Current AA Plat looking to match due to possible relocation/job move to non-AA market, enrolled in the match as soon as I could (middle of last week). Haven't heard back, gave @Delta a nudge via DM, but got a less than helpful response - essentially was told to deal with it. Same with calling SkyMiles Customer Service (although they were kinder.) Anybody else have any other tricks to nudge them along? My flight is on Monday... and while I don't mind traveling without status (already paid for a Comfort+ seat), definitely don't want the MQM and MQD of a transcon leg to go to waste...
Figured I'd update the thread, as someone PMed me to ask how it went. I put in for the Match on 9/26, and it finally came through on... 10/25 - 21 business days later. I DM-ed @Delta twice on twitter, and called three times, and they were very kind, but couldn't do anything. So the business days count on the form didn't hold for me - they completely blew past ALL the travel I had booked - one JFK-SEA-PSC, one GEG-SEA-JFK, LGA-MSP-MCI (that I booked specifically to push my wife over her mile requirement!), and MCI-LGA. It was a bummer, because I chose more expensive flights and fares in order to match, and was hopeful for DL.

So I won't make the challenge in time - as I'm now getting ready to move - and am matching (with sufficient time now!) over to Alaska instead. I won't have to mileage run to make status, I'll be MVP Gold through 12/31/19, and can requalify the normal way next year. And, for Southeastern Washington State, AS has the most service.

All in all, I liked the in-flight experience on DL, found the service to be good (excepting the status match) but found the connections on DL to be super-tight. We were huffing through SEA twice, and then through MSP once.

I tried, I failed, and I hope others on the thread are able to get qualified in time!
Old Nov 17, 2018, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by wayfarer613
Figured I'd update the thread, as someone PMed me to ask how it went. I put in for the Match on 9/26, and it finally came through on... 10/25 - 21 business days later. I DM-ed @Delta twice on twitter, and called three times, and they were very kind, but couldn't do anything. So the business days count on the form didn't hold for me - they completely blew past ALL the travel I had booked - one JFK-SEA-PSC, one GEG-SEA-JFK, LGA-MSP-MCI (that I booked specifically to push my wife over her mile requirement!), and MCI-LGA. It was a bummer, because I chose more expensive flights and fares in order to match, and was hopeful for DL.

So I won't make the challenge in time - as I'm now getting ready to move - and am matching (with sufficient time now!) over to Alaska instead. I won't have to mileage run to make status, I'll be MVP Gold through 12/31/19, and can requalify the normal way next year. And, for Southeastern Washington State, AS has the most service.

All in all, I liked the in-flight experience on DL, found the service to be good (excepting the status match) but found the connections on DL to be super-tight. We were huffing through SEA twice, and then through MSP once.

I tried, I failed, and I hope others on the thread are able to get qualified in time!
That is a long time, but in fairness to DL, it is the end of the year, and they are likely inundated with requests. I believe they offer the best product, and it is well worth it to be a medallion with them.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond
Hmmm ... I just got my status match accepted after about a 3 week wait. Not complaining - that's what I anticipated from this thread.

Related to this, can somebody point me to a post comparing Delta Gold Medallion vs. United Gold benefits? I'm coming over from 10+ years on United (and 12k miles from 1MM) due to relo to SLC, so just looking for the summary of what I can expect. I have (of course) tried searching the forums, but can't narrow down the results well enough to find this...

Thanks!
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:30 pm

Programs: DL
The weirdest thing has happened with my status challenge. I matched last month and today my status was extended through 2020. I've flown the MQMs so far, but only earned half of the MQDs... How did I complete the challenge so soon? Has this happened to anyone else?

Last edited by dlflyer00; Dec 16, 2018 at 3:42 am
Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA PLT
Timeline similar to others here for matching from UA Gold. Sent request in on 11/8, got approved on 11/28. I had a flight to Korea on 11/25 and was really hoping for that to count so that I could knock the whole challenge out in one trip, but neither Twitter nor calling in could help push it through. At least the flight home will count and will get me more than halfway there! No current work travel planned through the end of the challenge, but I'm sure stuff will come up.

Now to learn all about how DL works!
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:45 am
LDR

Programs: UA 1k, AA lifetime Gold, Marriott lifetime plat
AA Lifetime Gold match?

Hi! Has anyone had experience doing a match as a lifetime gold member (without much flying this year) to Delta Silver? The terms say you must have qualified via published guidelines (which lifetime status is published on AA).
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LDR
Hi! Has anyone had experience doing a match as a lifetime gold member (without much flying this year) to Delta Silver? The terms say you must have qualified via published guidelines (which lifetime status is published on AA).
Give it a try and report back.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: DL Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
I requested a match to my UA 1K on November 14th and the approval match to Platinum Medallion came through on December 3rd. I had booked an expensive work trip that I was hoping would be counted, but knew it was unlikely since it happened a week after requesting the match.

I did enjoy my flights with DL on that work trip. 4 segments to the Caribbean in first and service felt a lot better than on UA. DL is not the best for me out of SAN since I tend to fly to DC a lot, but I will do my best to fulfill the match since I only qualified for Gold on UA for next year.

I guess the app/site doesn't show our progress during the match period, or am I missing something?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by motoridersd

I guess the app/site doesn't show our progress during the match period, or am I missing something?
It looks like you have to track that yourself, but I did receive an email the day my first set of miles from a transpac posted letting me know I'd met the silver part of the challenge and to keep flying for gold.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by dcaiadflyer
It looks like you have to track that yourself, but I did receive an email the day my first set of miles from a transpac posted letting me know I'd met the silver part of the challenge and to keep flying for gold.
Oh ok, that's good to know! I've always run a spreadsheet to track my status progress for UA and AS, so I just copied it over for this DL challenge. Helps me track future travel and I should be able to meet the challenge based on what I have so far.

Thanks!
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: UA1K, Marriott Platinum Elite
I'm 1K UA with 1.5M miles so I'm lifetime G as well and still have been considering switching to either AA or DL. My home is near MHT and United has cut back on their service there to the point that moving seems like the sensible thing to do. Thanks for your input on Delta's service, it's encouraging.
It's hard to move after so many years using United, but this seems like the time to do it.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by prhagen
I'm 1K UA with 1.5M miles so I'm lifetime G as well and still have been considering switching to either AA or DL. My home is near MHT and United has cut back on their service there to the point that moving seems like the sensible thing to do. Thanks for your input on Delta's service, it's encouraging.
It's hard to move after so many years using United, but this seems like the time to do it.
For me, I have to connect to get to where I need to go on DL vs nonstops on UA. Upside to DL is I can fly to DCA easily while connecting in LAX, vs flying to IAD with UA (which I don't mind as much now that Silvercar is at IAD). I am a little concerned with DL's connecting times at SLC, DTW, ATL and MSP. I am seeing a lot of 35-40 minute connections, and coming from UA, is giving me a bit of anxiety. I'll probably be avoiding those while I get comfortable with their on time performance, which is supposed to be the best.

I qualified for UA Gold for next year and too far from 1K and Plat is not worth it to me. I still prefer *A miles, so I might fly both next year.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: TK Elite, QR Gold
A quick question to the experts...
I requested a status challenge to Platinum at the end of September and was granted a match and challenge for 3 months. I have completed the platinum requirements and wanted to know how many Choice Benefits do I get.
- do I get to choose a choice benefit as I was matched in 2018 and successfully completed the challenge, and choose the choice benefit before Jan 2019
- PLUS I get to choose one more choice benefit for the 2019 year as I will be platinum until Jan 2020.

I imagine this is all wishful thinking to get 2 times the choice benefit, but thought it doesnt hurt to ask
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by dcaiadflyer
Timeline similar to others here for matching from UA Gold. Sent request in on 11/8, got approved on 11/28. I had a flight to Korea on 11/25 and was really hoping for that to count so that I could knock the whole challenge out in one trip, but neither Twitter nor calling in could help push it through. At least the flight home will count and will get me more than halfway there! No current work travel planned through the end of the challenge, but I'm sure stuff will come up.

Now to learn all about how DL works!
On a total lark, I responded to my status match email asking if there was any chance they could count my outbound flight IAD-ICN, which I took 3-4 days before my match was approved. They wrote back today (about two weeks later) saying, "sure!" They said my challenge date would now end a few days earlier, but with the outbound counting, I've met the Gold challenge already. Impressive service!
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by LDR
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Give it a try and report back.
I think Delta means you have to have earned the status on your other airline by annual flying whereas, if I understand you correctly, your lifetime gold is a complimentary status, not earned by flying this year. Here’s the key phrase:

“complimentary status or status earned through a promotion does not qualify”

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.