Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match Challenge : The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bakrgby
All,

A wikipost seemed to be useful for this thread to help FTers find the most current infomation regarding DL's Status Match Challenge.

SKYMILES MEDALLIONŽ STATUS MATCH CHALLENGE

Official Delta Site and Sign-Up

Status Match Period:
90 Days

MQM/MQS Qualifying Flights must be flown on Delta, Delta Connection or Partner Flights:
In order to extend your Medallion status after the 90 days, you'll need to earn a specific number of Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) or Medallion Qualification Segments (MQSs) within the 90 days of enrolling by flying Delta or Delta ConnectionŽ, and partner airlines.

Comparable Status:
  • DL Silver Medallion (FO) - AA Gold; UA Premier Silver; AS MVP
  • DL Gold Medallion (GM) - AA Platinum; UA Premier Gold; AS MVP Gold
  • DL Platinum Medallion (PM) - AA Executive Platinum; UA 1K; AS MVP Gold 75K
  • DL Diamond Medallion (DM) - DL does not typically match to DM.
    From dl.com: If you have status with another airline not listed above, you may still be eligible for this challenge. Please submit your information below to confirm eligibility.

MQM / MQS Requirement:
  • FO: 6,250 MQMs or 8 MQSs and $750MQD or MQD waiver
  • GM: 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs and $1500MQD or MQD waiver
  • PM: 18,750 MQMs or 25 MQSs and $2250MQD or MQD waiver
"MQMs/MQSs/MQDs earned through other sources, including but not limited to SkyMiles Credit Cards, do not count towards the challenge."

Criteria for Participation:
  • Member has not received a status match or complimentary Medallion status in the past three years
  • Is currently a non-Medallion member
  • Must present valid and current elite credential or statement showing elite status from another airline
  • Status being matched must be earned and not complementary.

Other Notes from dl.com:
  • A physical Medallion membership card will not be issued for the 90-day qualification period. You may enjoy Medallion benefits on Delta or Delta Connection by providing your SkyMiles number when making reservations or at check-in. You can also access your Membership Card through the Fly Delta app. During the 90-day period, you will not have access to all reciprocal Medallion benefits with Delta's partner airlines, including access to SkyTeamŽ lounges.
  • Members who are matched to Platinum Medallion status will not be eligible for Choice Benefits until the flight requirement to maintain Platinum Medallion status is met.
  • Through this offer, you may maintain the same or lower Medallion status level as your matched status. If you are matched to Silver Medallion status, you will not be able to earn Gold Medallion status through this offer, even if you will fly more than 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs during the offer period. But if you have been matched to Gold Medallion status and you only fly 6,250 MQMs or 8 MQSs, you will earn Silver Medallion status. Your Medallion status will be returned to non-Medallion status if you are unable to complete the minimum flight requirement before the end of the 90-day period.
  • Medallion status match is only offered for Platinum, Gold and Silver Medallion levels.

When to request:
  • Requests from 1/1 - 6/30 will receive status through 1/31 of the following year.
  • Requests from 7/1 - 12/31 will receive status through 1/31 of the second year.

Corporate accounts:
Depending on your company's agreement with Delta, you may have different qualification requirements and/or an alternate method of requesting a status match or challenge. Check your company's intranet or travel manager.

Current Processing Time:
4-5 days as of July 31st 2022
Print Wikipost

Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match Challenge : The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: UA Plat (former 1K)
lounge access?

"During the 90-day period, you will not have access to all reciprocal Medallion benefits with Delta's partner airlines, including access to SkyTeamŽ lounges."

Does this mean I would have access to Delta Sky Club lounges, just not partner/contract lounges?
Or no lounge access at all?

Also, does that mean I don't get the free baggage on other skyteam airlines during that period?

[edited to add another Q]
Is there a list of Delta metal destinations (not codeshares) somewhere, since only DL metal applies to the re-qualification under the status match?

Last edited by poverty.jet.set; Jun 1, 2015 at 8:18 am
Old Jun 2, 2015, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Hi all, couple questions about this status match program. I'm AA Platinum and considering trying the match for upcoming flights.

First and most important - must the flights be on actual Delta planes (not partner with a DL flight #) to qualify past the 90 days? In July we will be flying AUS-DTW-AMS-NBO and return NBO-AMS-JFK-AUS - some of the legs are operated by KLM.

If by chance the KLM flights are OK, what is best time to apply? I would prefer to wait until July 1 since that would extend my Gold Medallion to Jan 2017 - but from a quick read here, I am guessing they would not process the match before we leave for our trip (July 11). So better to apply sooner even though it means membership would expire Jan 2016?

The flights for July were "purchased" with Citi TY points so I'm not really sure what perks the 90 day Gold membership would get but if it gets me a free soda or something, that's better than nothing!

Last edited by bswiz; Jun 2, 2015 at 3:54 pm
Old Jun 3, 2015, 2:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Pres Club
Yes, they must be on Delta (or Delta Connection/Shuttle) metal unfortunately.

Flights "purchased" with Citi TY points really are just simply purchased - it's just like a paid with cash revenue ticket (because it is - you pay Citi in points, Citi pays Delta with $$). So, you'll be eligible for an upgrade on your AUS-DTW and JFK-AUS legs, SkyPriority, and free Comfort+ seating 72 hours prior to departure.

Other than that, drinks are free on international flights anyway, so it won't help you there. Domestically, if you get put in Comfort+, you'll get free booze, but otherwise, status alone won't.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by dungeonlurker
Yes, they must be on Delta (or Delta Connection/Shuttle) metal unfortunately.

Flights "purchased" with Citi TY points really are just simply purchased - it's just like a paid with cash revenue ticket (because it is - you pay Citi in points, Citi pays Delta with $$). So, you'll be eligible for an upgrade on your AUS-DTW and JFK-AUS legs, SkyPriority, and free Comfort+ seating 72 hours prior to departure.

Other than that, drinks are free on international flights anyway, so it won't help you there. Domestically, if you get put in Comfort+, you'll get free booze, but otherwise, status alone won't.
Thanks! Guess I will go ahead and apply today - I should still fly enough DL metal on that trip to qualify for Silver, just not Gold. There's a chance I may fly to Asia in August for work on Delta, so I *might* still be able to get Gold.

My wife is on the same itinerary - is DL like US was where she will get upgraded also if there is availability?

Would we get any lounge access? I read somewhere that you can't use partner lounges during the 90 day period, but what about DL lounges?
Old Jun 4, 2015, 3:27 am

Yes there are companion upgrades, but you will be at the bottom of the barrel together if on the same reservation. If on separate reservations, you will clear first, then her if available.

Yes, you will have access to DL lounges during this time, on eligible international flights. In my experience, that third party rule isn't always enforced either - it'll print on your BP as usual so you might still get into partner lounges. You won't have a status card to show for it though if they ask. I was able to use the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse in Hong Kong during my trial period.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 3:33 am

I should also add - since you booked these before you earned status and through a third party, make sure the booking reflects Medallion Upgrade Requested once you get it. You may need to call in to request the upgrade.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 1:28 pm

I should also add - since you booked these before you earned status and through a third party, make sure the booking reflects Medallion Upgrade Requested once you get it. You may need to call in to request the upgrade.
Thanks. I went ahead and applied for the status match and in the email with the picture of my AA card, I put a note requesting that they make the challenge start effective July 1 if possible. Not sure it will matter, but it sucks that if I meet the challenge post-July 1, I would only get the status for the remainder of 2015.

Just found out I have to go to Taiwan in August, hoping to fly Delta for that one too, so I should have no issues meeting the flight requirement to get Gold.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 3:19 pm

I've already received my match for the year to DL Gold. Am I able to continue earning MQMs normally to reach Plat from the Gold Threshold (50k->75k)? or do i need to go the full 0->75k?
Old Jun 5, 2015, 5:50 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter, 2.9MM; 2019 PM and falling; Kettle everywhere else
Originally Posted by bver100
I've already received my match for the year to DL Gold. Am I able to continue earning MQMs normally to reach Plat from the Gold Threshold (50k->75k)? or do i need to go the full 0->75k?
You will need to earn the full 75k in order to reach platinum plus you will need to meet the MQD requirement or the Amex waiver.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:24 am

Well, I've never been so bummed to have something approved. I already got my email from Delta enrolling me in the challenge (only 4 days since I emailed proof of AA status). But they completely ignored my request to not have it take effect until July so I could get the status until Jan 2017 instead of 2016. So I'll have status for 5 months, big deal.

Oh well. Not sure it's even worth trying to explain this to customer service or if they can even do anything. If I'd known they would approve it so fast, I would have just waited until July 1 to apply.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 9:10 pm

Well, just to follow up on my previous post... I contacted @DeltaAssist to see if there's anything they could do and the answer was no. I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, so I guess I'll just shut up and enjoy my Gold status through 2015.

Side note: I created a Twitter account just for this purpose - how people communicate in less than 140 characters, I'll never understand. It's not for me.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 11:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, TG Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lbcnu
You will need to earn the full 75k in order to reach platinum plus you will need to meet the MQD requirement or the Amex waiver.
If my address outside the US do I still have to meet MQD requirement?
Thanks
Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by pviri
If my address outside the US do I still have to meet MQD requirement?
Thanks
Nope.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 10:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, TG Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Nope.
Thanks
Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat
What happens if someone meets the challenge (PM/GM) and is granted status through 1/2016? Starting 2/2016, are they back to general member or is there a step-down in membership?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.