Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match Challenge : The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bakrgby
All,

A wikipost seemed to be useful for this thread to help FTers find the most current infomation regarding DL's Status Match Challenge.

SKYMILES MEDALLION® STATUS MATCH CHALLENGE

Official Delta Site and Sign-Up

Status Match Period:
90 Days

MQM/MQS Qualifying Flights must be flown on Delta, Delta Connection or Partner Flights:
In order to extend your Medallion status after the 90 days, you'll need to earn a specific number of Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) or Medallion Qualification Segments (MQSs) within the 90 days of enrolling by flying Delta or Delta Connection®, and partner airlines.

Comparable Status:
  • DL Silver Medallion (FO) - AA Gold; UA Premier Silver; AS MVP
  • DL Gold Medallion (GM) - AA Platinum; UA Premier Gold; AS MVP Gold
  • DL Platinum Medallion (PM) - AA Executive Platinum; UA 1K; AS MVP Gold 75K
  • DL Diamond Medallion (DM) - DL does not typically match to DM.
    From dl.com: If you have status with another airline not listed above, you may still be eligible for this challenge. Please submit your information below to confirm eligibility.

MQM / MQS Requirement:
  • FO: 6,250 MQMs or 8 MQSs and $750MQD or MQD waiver
  • GM: 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs and $1500MQD or MQD waiver
  • PM: 18,750 MQMs or 25 MQSs and $2250MQD or MQD waiver
"MQMs/MQSs/MQDs earned through other sources, including but not limited to SkyMiles Credit Cards, do not count towards the challenge."

Criteria for Participation:
  • Member has not received a status match or complimentary Medallion status in the past three years
  • Is currently a non-Medallion member
  • Must present valid and current elite credential or statement showing elite status from another airline
  • Status being matched must be earned and not complementary.

Other Notes from dl.com:
  • A physical Medallion membership card will not be issued for the 90-day qualification period. You may enjoy Medallion benefits on Delta or Delta Connection by providing your SkyMiles number when making reservations or at check-in. You can also access your Membership Card through the Fly Delta app. During the 90-day period, you will not have access to all reciprocal Medallion benefits with Delta's partner airlines, including access to SkyTeam® lounges.
  • Members who are matched to Platinum Medallion status will not be eligible for Choice Benefits until the flight requirement to maintain Platinum Medallion status is met.
  • Through this offer, you may maintain the same or lower Medallion status level as your matched status. If you are matched to Silver Medallion status, you will not be able to earn Gold Medallion status through this offer, even if you will fly more than 12,500 MQMs or 15 MQSs during the offer period. But if you have been matched to Gold Medallion status and you only fly 6,250 MQMs or 8 MQSs, you will earn Silver Medallion status. Your Medallion status will be returned to non-Medallion status if you are unable to complete the minimum flight requirement before the end of the 90-day period.
  • Medallion status match is only offered for Platinum, Gold and Silver Medallion levels.

When to request:
  • Requests from 1/1 - 6/30 will receive status through 1/31 of the following year.
  • Requests from 7/1 - 12/31 will receive status through 1/31 of the second year.

Corporate accounts:
Depending on your company's agreement with Delta, you may have different qualification requirements and/or an alternate method of requesting a status match or challenge. Check your company's intranet or travel manager.

Current Processing Time:
4-5 days as of July 31st 2022
Print Wikipost

Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match Challenge : The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2015, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by boeingguy1
What happens if someone meets the challenge (PM/GM) and is granted status through 1/2016? Starting 2/2016, are they back to general member or is there a step-down in membership?
Pretty sure you go back to regular (base) member.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Delta does not do soft landings. You would drop back down to general membership on February 1st.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 10:38 pm

Programs: Delta DM/1.3MM, Marriott PP/LTP, Natl EE, Etihad Guest, FT FNG
Originally Posted by WWads
Delta does not do soft landings. You would drop back down to general membership on February 1st.
A few years ago, I went from a 14 year in a row PM to "Skymiles member". Busted all the way down. I could have registered my dog, and she would have gotten the same status.

I went from Skymiles member back to PM in less than a year. Tough climb back.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 8:18 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DYKWIA2014
A few years ago, I went from a 14 year in a row PM to "Skymiles member". Busted all the way down. I could have registered my dog, and she would have gotten the same status.

I went from Skymiles member back to PM in less than a year. Tough climb back.
Woof. I'll have to figure out some creative connections with trans-cons come Feb 1 (MQD$ not an issue in my case; MQM are...)
Old Jun 19, 2015, 4:39 pm

Verify a couple of things:

I am flying China Airlines Premium Economy on July 12th. Since I read that there is an incentive to start the challenge on July 1st, will there be enough time if i submit all my paperwork on July 1st or June 30th?

Also, does it matter if I already booked my ticket?
Old Jun 20, 2015, 2:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by xcalibir
Verify a couple of things:

I am flying China Airlines Premium Economy on July 12th. Since I read that there is an incentive to start the challenge on July 1st, will there be enough time if i submit all my paperwork on July 1st or June 30th?

Also, does it matter if I already booked my ticket?
China Airlines flights will not count towards your challenge regardless. Flights must be on Delta or Delta Connection carriers.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 12:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
I am plain member of delta now and cannot get miles from cross award with SPG. I have a plan for delta status match from July 2015. During 90 days, can I get cross award from SPG? I have over $10k stay in SPG during the summer for a large family.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 1:57 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
How "once-in-a-lifetime" is it?

I status matched to Silver with Delta about a dozen years ago and made Gold for a few years. I went back to United around 8 years ago where I have been Platinum for the past several years. If I want to now fly with Delta since United is pulling out of JFK do I have to start from scratch?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: UA MM PL /AA/DL PL/LY GL
Am I understanding all of this correctly?

I am a UA Gold member and have TLV-JFK and TLV-ORD roundtrips coming up next month.

If I status match to Delta...

1) The AZ flights will NOT count for the 12,500 MQMs needed to remain Gold.
2) I can't use lounges on AZ.
3) I don't get an extra bag.
4) I don't get any bonus miles.

So, what does it mean to be Gold for 90 days?

Thanks!!
Old Jul 1, 2015, 5:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by TLVflyer
1) The AZ flights will NOT count for the 12,500 MQMs needed to remain Gold.
Correct.
2) I can't use lounges on AZ.
Supposedly correct, but in my experience, I got partner lounge access just fine. I don't believe it showed up any differently in the system and my boarding pass reflected ST E+ like normal, so I'm not sure how they would know otherwise.
3) I don't get an extra bag.
Yes, you do get an extra bag.
4) I don't get any bonus miles.
Until you meet the status match, yes this is correct.

Last edited by dungeonlurker; Jul 1, 2015 at 8:12 am
Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:21 am

Can someone advise as to whether they absolutely never do a status match twice? I got one about 12 years ago and then left Delta after a few years for United. With United pulling out of JFK I'd like to move back to Delta with a status challenge/match.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA MM PL /AA/DL PL/LY GL
Originally Posted by dungeonlurker
Correct.

Supposedly correct, but in my experience, I got partner lounge access just fine. I don't believe it showed up any differently in the system and my boarding pass reflected ST E+ like normal, so I'm not sure how they would know otherwise.

Yes, you do get an extra bag.

Until you meet the status match, yes this is correct.
Thank you very much for the answers!!
Old Jul 3, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Club, National Exec something!
Delta Air Lines Elite Status Match: The Definitive Thread

Just FYI guys...I'm an AA EXP who status matched to delta prob 6 yrs ago. I've already done 100k AA EQMs this year (ludicrous) and I emailed delta and said...hey look, if you give me a reasonable match I'll throw a lot of business your way. I sent them my current AA EXP card and a screen shot from AA.com showing >100k EQMs already.

They did a platinum challenge it appears. I'll meet it no problem at this point given my run rate.

So net, they do appear to allow it more than once if you prove it. Frankly smart move on deltas part as I truly am going to throw them a boatload of flights.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 8:46 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
I recently sat next to a gentleman on a DL flight who is a DM with 5MM and he had recently been given Global Services on UA, upon faxing UA the relevant documentation to prove his 5MM. What I forgot to ask him was how much does he need to fly on UA or Star Alliance flights to maintain his status; and was he given GS for life? Sounds like a great deal for him, but what are the conditions attached to him keeping GS ?

Last edited by audidudi; Jul 5, 2015 at 9:40 pm
Old Jul 3, 2015, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by audidudi
I recently sat next to a gentleman on a DL flight who is a DM with 5MM and he had recently been given Global Services on UA, upon faxing UA the relevant documentation to prove his 5MM. What I fogot to ask him was how much does he need to fly on UA or Star Alliance flights to maintain his status; and was he given GS for life? Sounds like a great deal for him, but what are the conditions attached to him keeping GS ?
GS is invitation only and doesn't have specific stated requirements. It is offered to high spend passengers, not necessarily high volume. But United giveth and can taketh away the status if they don't feel you're living up to their potential. Nobody knows the algorithm involved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.