Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2022, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Tweeting "at" an airline isn't really a way to seek customer service
It is for millennial and Gen-Z. The pick up the phone for everything generation is dying off. Even Gen-X uses text chat features more and more since we basically grew up during the time where tech was evolving fairly quickly.

I used the AA chat function to cancel an award ticket yesterday. My wait time was five minutes for a rep. The same feature on DL was a 45 minute wait.
dls25, lindros2 and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Twitter used to be the best way to get support across all airlines, and initially, Delta chat worked fine. The issue isn’t calling vs electronic, it’s that DL has understaffed everything
emma dog and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 1:23 pm

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by Beetles
Specifically in regards to the soft product, what’s better about Delta on a one hour flight as opposed to Southwest in main cabin? WN is still serving soft drinks, WN has free wifi connected to news/tv shows, WN still awards miles on lowest price tickets.

Is the Delta soft product better just because they aren’t Spirit? I’m confused because nothing jumps out at me to say Delta’s soft product in main cabin exceeds WN, UA, or AA.
I like Southwest - I fly them maybe 6-10 times a year - but the boarding system is crappy unless you pay out the rear end.
Delta has proven to be cheaper across the board (domestic and international - Costa Rica) - as a Delta elite.
Non-elite? WN probably better.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 1:30 pm

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
It is for millennial and Gen-Z. The pick up the phone for everything generation is dying off. Even Gen-X uses text chat features more and more since we basically grew up during the time where tech was evolving fairly quickly.

I used the AA chat function to cancel an award ticket yesterday. My wait time was five minutes for a rep. The same feature on DL was a 45 minute wait.
anyone know if you curse them out via chat if it gets escalated to someone helpful and human?
not saying I would - just out of ideas.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by lindros2
anyone know if you curse them out via chat if it gets escalated to someone helpful and human?
I've noticed people starting to @petebuttigieg on twitter. That might do the trick.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 1:38 pm

It probably gets documented in your SkyMiles account with text evidence. Over the phone it’s your word against the rep unless they record the call.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
I'm not sure they would understand that you are cursing them out. I think they are in a call center somewhere overseas and have never been on a plane period much less a Delta aircraft.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
I've noticed people starting to @petebuttigieg on twitter. That might do the trick.
You can blame the House Transportation Committee and Congress at large for handing billions over to the airlines without any real strings attached.

The bailouts should gave been structured as forgivable loans with forgiveness based on a list of conditions, but alas.
mikebor, ontheway, cmd320 and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 2:19 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC, CLEAR
Was lucky to only experience 30 min delays on my business travels yesterday but the IT and customer service of DL was the biggest eye-opener.

I always track the inbound aircraft for my flight (both in the DL app and on FlightAware since it can change) and in both legs yesterday, those aircraft arrived 10 mins before my scheduled boarding time. Of course I enjoyed another 30 mins in the lounge while they deplaned and cleaned. No update in the app, flight still said on-time. Got to the very full gate and even the board still said on time even though there was only 5 mins to that originally posted departure time! Talked to some folks there and found that the GAs hadn't made a single announcement. Just tell people what is going on and everyone will be better off.
NoCRJ likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 2:30 pm

It probably gets documented in your SkyMiles account with text evidence. Over the phone it’s your word against the rep unless they record the call.
I understand that all calls are recorded.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by Mhyduchak
Was lucky to only experience 30 min delays on my business travels yesterday but the IT and customer service of DL was the biggest eye-opener.

I always track the inbound aircraft for my flight (both in the DL app and on FlightAware since it can change) and in both legs yesterday, those aircraft arrived 10 mins before my scheduled boarding time. Of course I enjoyed another 30 mins in the lounge while they deplaned and cleaned. No update in the app, flight still said on-time. Got to the very full gate and even the board still said on time even though there was only 5 mins to that originally posted departure time! Talked to some folks there and found that the GAs hadn't made a single announcement. Just tell people what is going on and everyone will be better off.
I find it amazing Delta decided to move boarding 5 minutes earlier on paper without actually scheduling planes for any more time at the gate. You'd think those two things would go together.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 4:13 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by rylan
Not entirely sure, however my experience with some of the cancellations and rebookings lead me to believe that there is a priority system and status is a definite factor in who is rebooked first into whats left for seats on flights.
At least from a few years ago, if my flight went into IRROPS I was on the phone with Delta before I was down the jetway and I would have been searching out replacement options if things were looking like they were going to go sideways so I could ask for specific flights.
KDCAflyer likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 4:40 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
At least from a few years ago, if my flight went into IRROPS I was on the phone with Delta before I was down the jetway and I would have been searching out replacement options if things were looking like they were going to go sideways so I could ask for specific flights.
same here, but nowadays you can’t reach an DM/PM agent within seconds on the phone and more infuriating, some times it won’t let you rebook on the website or app , or it trips up during the reissue CR online.

meanwhile those options to change go POOF!
Old Jun 18, 2022, 4:50 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
Today, even as a Diamond, you’re not getting anyone on that phone for god knows how long and there aren’t the same amount of flights on which to rebook
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

There is a difference between a chat function and tweeting at someone. I am very familiar with my own generation. Tweet yelling at companies vs DMs and Chats is more common for older people.
mrcool1122 and Mhyduchak like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.