Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2022, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,

Sitting on runway at JFK. After a 1.5 hour delay to begin with, now the plane has to return to gate for a maintenance check. I have a meeting tomorrow I need to get to. Second DL flight in a row with serious delay / cancel issues. Poor
Old Jun 14, 2022, 7:50 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Post pics of crowds/situation. Tweet to DL twitter. Vouchers + extra pesos
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Sitting on runway at JFK. After a 1.5 hour delay to begin with, now the plane has to return to gate for a maintenance check. I have a meeting tomorrow I need to get to. Second DL flight in a row with serious delay / cancel issues. Poor
Sorry about your unfortunate situation. However two flights does not indicate much about the overall situation at Delta.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Deplaning now
Old Jun 14, 2022, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Sorry about your unfortunate situation. However two flights does not indicate much about the overall situation at Delta.
The OP's experience is not an isolated incident. One only needs to look at the news the last few months to see Delta's massive amounts of cancelations.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 8:36 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
The OP's experience is not an isolated incident. One only needs to look at the news the last few months to see Delta's massive amounts of cancelations.
If you look at cancellation numbers from the past few weeks, things are slowly improving. Still frustrating when you get caught up in it but "Delta continues to weaken operationally" is not an accurate assessment of the trajectory.

Delta canceled 26 flights today and 21 yesterday.

Last edited by DLASflyer; Jun 14, 2022 at 8:41 pm
Old Jun 14, 2022, 9:18 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
I’m beginning to lose my MF mind with how atrocious and incapable their CSRs are, across all platforms.
dls25, demkr, LovePrunes and 6 others like this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
If you look at cancellation numbers from the past few weeks, things are slowly improving. Still frustrating when you get caught up in it but "Delta continues to weaken operationally" is not an accurate assessment of the trajectory.

Delta canceled 26 flights today and 21 yesterday.
Specifically, there were significant numbers of cancellations over the weekends throughout the month of May including Memorial Day weekend. When I checked Flightaware cancellations the last couple weekends, there were still a few dozen cancels, but not the hundreds that were occurring previous weekends.

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 15, 2022 at 7:21 am
Old Jun 15, 2022, 1:50 am

The OP's experience is not an isolated incident. One only needs to look at the news the last few months to see Delta's any airlines massive amounts of cancelations.
Fixed that for you.

Much to the ire of many on the DL forum, the grass is not greener elsewhere. Every airline is struggling with these types of situations. DL's flight completion % for June is currently 2nd among WN, AA, UA and DL. For much of May DL also sat in the 2nd spot, until Memorial day weekend in which they fell to 3rd, still beating out UA for the month. If people are dissatisfied with DL, fair, but don't expect things to be much better when you try flying someone else, and it's unlikely things are going to turn around in any meaningful way in the next few months. At best they are probably 80% of the size they were prepandemic, while travel demand is almost entirely back to prepandemic levels (although with a bigger proportion of leisure travel then before), It will be years before anyone gets back to their prepandemic level of service.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 2:47 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Not sure how one anecdote gets translated into an overall conclusive theory.

Hard to believe things are worse than Memorial Day weekend. Also, other airlines are reporting similar challenges, including those based in other countries.
OldAsiaHand likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 3:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer

Hard to believe things are worse than Memorial Day weekend. Also, other airlines are reporting similar challenges, including those based in other countries.
I think the difference is that Delta had quite an arrogant attitude prior to 2020 and their fans pontificating that they would be prosperous forever. The mighty always fall. I would argue that WN has had the most consistent performance throughout their existence. And quite humble about it. They haven't tried to be anything other than solid transportation. Delta now resembles more of a marketing firm that happens to run an airline on the side.
dw, dls25, rylan and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 3:32 am

I think the difference is that Delta had quite an arrogant attitude prior to 2020 and their fans pontificating that they would be prosperous forever. The mighty always fall. I would argue that WN has had the most consistent performance throughout their existence. And quite humble about it. They haven't tried to be anything other than solid transportation. Delta now resembles more of a marketing firm that happens to run an airline on the side.

WN may have been consistent, but they've never been the best. Delta tried to be more. I'm not going to kick them for that. They've got a lot to live up to, and we can certainly criticize them, but to try and make one experience into a statement of who they are sets an impossible standard for any airline. They ALL fall short of that daily, WN included.

I would like them to get arrogant again, and show that they're trying to be the best.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 3:40 am

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer

I have long been a fan of DL. I do not believe the grass is greener elsewhere, particularly as a DM/2MM.

That said, the service I’ve experienced over the past year has been maddeningly poor. I’ve had more IROP situations in a year than I have in the past 20 combined. New staffing on the phone does pick up quickly now, but they are so poorly trained that nearly every call requires the assistance of Global Ticketing Support.

And - on a much more minor note - why don’t we have fresh milk or limes back on domestic flights?

No, I’m not leaving to go elsewhere. Yes, many of these issues are popping up at every airline. But you can’t look at this objectively and not conclude that Delta’s once vaunted service is dramatically diminished in every way. It’s been pretty sad to see.

Last edited by orlandodlplat; Jun 15, 2022 at 3:46 am
Old Jun 15, 2022, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by orlandodlplat

No, I’m not leaving to go elsewhere. Yes, many of these issues are popping up at every airline. But you can’t look at this objectively and not conclude that Delta’s once vaunted service is dramatically diminished in every day. It’s been pretty sad to see.

Good comment.
SSF556, giporlos, Ascii and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 3:47 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by orlandodlplat
I have long been a fan of DL. I do not believe the grass is greener elsewhere, particularly as a DM/2MM.

That said, the service I’ve experienced over the past year has been maddeningly poor. I’ve had more IROP situations in a year than I have in the past 20 combined. New staffing on the phone does pick up quickly now, but they are so poorly trained that nearly every call requires the assistance of Global Ticketing Support.

And - on a much more minor note - why don’t we have fresh milk or limes back on domestic flights?

No, I’m not leaving to go elsewhere. Yes, many of these issues are popping up at every airline. But you can’t look at this objectively and not conclude that Delta’s once vaunted service is dramatically diminished in every way. It’s been pretty sad to see.
wow, so succinctly and perfectly written!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.