Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2022, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
Problems for DL5665 cancelled yesterday after 3h of untenable tries and claims which is very distressing made worse by their not even rebooking the said itinerary to this point 28h later (abandoned leg as made own way to DCA) then after 3h of hold time on phone for DL baggage 800-325-8224 the first Alisha rep said she won't file a delayed baggage claim since she wanted me to get it myself from DCA so hung up and another 78m hold netted better results. When they're wrong, hang up and retry.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 6:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In the past during IROPs did DL just allocate all seats for rebooking on a first come, first served basis or was there higher priority for elites and those with higher fare classes? I suspect that there was a priority system which is now gone or at least now applies only to 360 customers.

I remember a time not long before COVID-19 when I was flying MSP-DTW-ICN and MSP-DTW was badly delayed, with no seats at all on the next MSP-DTW flight, which would have been a very tight but legal connection at DTW. I was in D1, probably on a cheap business class fare, and there was one seat remaining on the MSP-NRT/HND flight but the SC agent said that she couldn't give it to me. DL wanted to reroute me through LAX the next day, which I rejected partly because I had avoided this much cheaper routing because I didn't want to fly to the west coast on a domestic flight nor did I want the shorter TPAC flight because it would give me less sleep. EF showed me a routing using the KE JFK-ICN A380 nonstop (which was very lightly booked in business class) and arrived around 5 am instead or my original arrival time of around midnight IIRC. I was surprised that the airport SC agent wouldn't give me the nonstop TPAC DL flight exMSP (unless I were willing to downgrade to coach, which I emphatically rejected). Implicitly I wasn't high enough priority to get that seat, although I later heard them asking for two volunteers in D1 on that flight, so that it looked like at least three people were able to be rebooked onto it in D1 but I wasn't. (It hasn't been overbooked in D1 when the MSP-DTW flight posted the delay and I double that DL sold three TPAC D1 tickets at about an hour before departure, but of course it could have happened or DL could have had three "must ride employees, but IMO either scenario is extremely unlikely).
Old Jun 17, 2022, 6:47 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
This sucks if your flights are cancelled, but AA has more flights cx than delta. WN and AA have more delayed flights than DL.

This isn’t a DL thing alone. It’s everyone.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Big problems this morning at BOS. I was supposed to do a round trip BOS-PHL-BOS today for an important meeting. After the pleasure to wake up at 5 am, I arrived in a very crowded terminal A with long lines at check-in. There were several local TV channels filming the terminal crowd.

Fortunately, I did OLCI and went through security (line was long too) and went to see the flight board to know my gate to discover that my flight was cancelled , as well as many other flights.

What's truly surprising is that I never received any notification. I have 2 phones and when there is an irrop, it's always beeping everywhere + emails. Here : nothing, nada. The cancellation appeared only after refreshing the screen/booking. No rebooking options available in the app or on kiosks. I tried to use the courtesy phones but after 30 min of music, I gave up. I tried to call my work travel agency (Amex travel). They couldn't even see the cancel status in their system and they couldn't find any possible rebooking, either nonstop with AA or with a connection. A woman flying on the same flight as me told me that she managed to talk to a DL agent on the phone who said there was no rebooking possible to PHL before 3 days .
So I canceled and missed an important business meeting. Tonight, I looked at the status of the return flight I should have taken at 6 pm from PHL and it's been canceled too. The 2 flights were operated bu Endeavor Air. What a mess . I sent a complaint tonight via the contact form. We'll see
Old Jun 17, 2022, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
you took that pic of the departures board at 0632

Amtrak had an Acela at 0715 that got to 30th St Station at 1210pm … Silver Line *might* have been able to get you to South Station in time, and you might have made the last half of the meeting
lindros2, yupenn, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 9:02 pm

The great majority of the issues on this thread (other than WX) are just amateur mistakes that you would expect from a startup airline. Not an established global carrier.

Ed was crowing about Delta's median pay dropping from $118K in 2019 to $70K in 2021. How do you think that happens?

https://www.businessinsider.com/delt...of-cash-2022-6

I guess in 15-20 years Delta might regain the experience and knowledge they joyfully flushed down the toilet. Maybe, maybe not.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Amazing that people were downplaying these issues earlier, blaming the “economy” or whatever else. Pre-Covid, Delta was seen as by far the best of the majors regarding performance. Now, they are at best in line, and may be a bit worse than the peers. Regardless of Covid or whatever else, the relative advantage in operations has been squandered. They still have a better soft product on board and on the ground, but that’s it
rylan, altabello and js1993 like this.

Last edited by Adelphos; Jun 17, 2022 at 9:26 pm
Old Jun 17, 2022, 9:19 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
[No delete option]
Old Jun 17, 2022, 10:54 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
The great majority of the issues on this thread (other than WX) are just amateur mistakes that you would expect from a startup airline. Not an established global carrier.

Ed was crowing about Delta's median pay dropping from $118K in 2019 to $70K in 2021. How do you think that happens?

https://www.businessinsider.com/delt...of-cash-2022-6

I guess in 15-20 years Delta might regain the experience and knowledge they joyfully flushed down the toilet. Maybe, maybe not.
For context, here's the rest of that text:

Delta acted early and elected to offer buyouts to roughly one-fifth of its workforce, or nearly 20,000 workers, including 2,000 pilots. Meanwhile, American and United waited and relied more heavily on furloughs once funding restrictions were lifted in October.Meanwhile, American and United waited and relied more heavily on furloughs once funding restrictions were lifted in October.

Delta's 4,273 buyouts for flight attendants outnumbered the roughly 2,800 each from American and United, according to internal tracking data from the Association of Flight Attendants. As a percentage of its workforce, Delta's buyout was even larger, since the company has fewer total workers than American.

When a second round of funding arrived, American and United were required to rehire furloughed workers, while Delta hunted for new talent as travel rebounded faster than expected. In many cases, these new hires were younger, and therefore cheaper, than before.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 11:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
My DL314 JFK-SFO got canceled yesterday 10 minutes after scheduled boarding time. DL314 got canceled again today. Of course they blame it to weather. Yawn.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Big problems this morning at BOS. I was supposed to do a round trip BOS-PHL-BOS today for an important meeting. After the pleasure to wake up at 5 am, I arrived in a very crowded terminal A with long lines at check-in. There were several local TV channels filming the terminal crowd.

Fortunately, I did OLCI and went through security (line was long too) and went to see the flight board to know my gate to discover that my flight was cancelled , as well as many other flights.

What's truly surprising is that I never received any notification. I have 2 phones and when there is an irrop, it's always beeping everywhere + emails. Here : nothing, nada. The cancellation appeared only after refreshing the screen/booking. No rebooking options available in the app or on kiosks. I tried to use the courtesy phones but after 30 min of music, I gave up. I tried to call my work travel agency (Amex travel). They couldn't even see the cancel status in their system and they couldn't find any possible rebooking, either nonstop with AA or with a connection. A woman flying on the same flight as me told me that she managed to talk to a DL agent on the phone who said there was no rebooking possible to PHL before 3 days .
So I canceled and missed an important business meeting. Tonight, I looked at the status of the return flight I should have taken at 6 pm from PHL and it's been canceled too. The 2 flights were operated bu Endeavor Air. What a mess . I sent a complaint tonight via the contact form. We'll see
I learned the hard way that flying in and out for important meetings same day is so 2019. I only travel in the night before now. And even then I don’t book the last flight of the day. Welcome to flying in 2022.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Jun 18, 2022 at 4:33 am
Old Jun 18, 2022, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mizzou miles
Total meltdown today in NYC - but mainly for Delta. This is not ATC or thunderstorms. At one point, DL asked the FAA to institute a ground stop for all inbound DL flights. Between DL and 9E, they have had a massive failure today: https://flightaware.com/live/cancelled/today

And of course, it is now spilling over into tomorrow. My 6AM flight already cxld. No protection ALL DAY out of any NY airport to MSP on DL except for (maybe) a connection via BTV which sounds about as likely to not operate as anything else.

Delta has gone to hell.
Seems like a lot of meltdowns in NE airports - BOS was a mess last few days with lots of cx and more delays.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 6:07 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
The press is all over this…

https://www.11alive.com/article/trav...8-00296d79c09f
Old Jun 18, 2022, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
you took that pic of the departures board at 0632

Amtrak had an Acela at 0715 that got to 30th St Station at 1210pm … Silver Line *might* have been able to get you to South Station in time, and you might have made the last half of the meeting
Believe me, I looked at that and the 1st train that had availability was around 10 am departing Boston South Station, so not an option
Old Jun 18, 2022, 7:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
VA Ave seems to have a lot of empty space these days. They should turn Ed's office into a dorm for stranded passengers.
MSPeconomist and cmd320 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.