Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2022, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by ttuna3
If I read bubbashow's post on "Woke Catering" they mean catering to the wokesters. I'm an upper middle manager in a transportation industry and have had to deal with several people who actively rub race, gender, orientation and politics in my face and then play as many cards as possible when they get caught screwing up their job to keep the heat off them. If what you choose to do in your personal life has no direct connection to your work life then I don't care who, what, or how you live your life away from work. Ed and the rest of Delta's Mahogany Row need to stop with the virtue signaling and look past appearance (in general), lifestyle choices and the like and just get your airline working properly. AKA Stay In Your Lane.
so basically you just made up a bunch of stuff, assume that this is the actual thing causing all of delta's problems, and got mad at your imaginary boogeyman
dls25, BamaGirl, navi_jen and 6 others like this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
lol

show us on the doll where the braised shortrib hurt you
Yeah, is the Impossible / Beyond Burger (whichever it is) stuff really triggering the carnivores that much?
Juanefny likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 11:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
so basically you just made up a bunch of stuff, assume that this is the actual thing causing all of delta's problems, and got mad at your imaginary boogeyman
Delta is supposed to be running an airline. Just provide a good product and good service. Really, that's all they need to do. I don't want to hear about their "green initiatives", position on foreign policy, or their desire for artisanal toilet paper. Get me from A to B with service and a smile. Leave the rest at home.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 12:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Delta is supposed to be running an airline. Just provide a good product and good service. Really, that's all they need to do. I don't want to hear about their "green initiatives", position on foreign policy, or their desire for artisanal toilet paper. Get me from A to B with service and a smile. Leave the rest at home.
......and don't try to force me to consume vegetarian or vegan food.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
“forcing” is entirely different than “offering as an option”

my personal opinion is that increasing the breadth of f&b offerings actually strengthens the airline’s appeal, but this isn’t really germane to the on-time performance and cancellations aspects of “weaken operationally” which (I think) are the original focus of this thread
Juanefny and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 12:21 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Hi folks

topic check. Let’s get this thread back on topic please.

ryandc99

Moderator Delta Air Lines
ekozie, Adelphos and spongenotbob like this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by Beetles
Agreed. I enjoy watching union people not afraid of management showing the rest of the employees what strength looks like.
If DALPA wants a management change, I hear that Doug Parker is available......

Seriously, this is about the contract. DALPA wants a rich contract before travel demand swoons in the face of the coming downturn/recession. And I expect Ed is dragging his feet.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed...h=59b5db36ef37

David
Old Jun 19, 2022, 12:31 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Just finished a quick weekend trip. Two cancellations plus two additional hour long mechanical delays, one of which led to a missed connection. People yelling at GAs in ATL because they have been stuck there with small children for over a day. Impossible to get food anywhere.

I don't expect things to be this bad during a Nor'easter, let alone during one of the most beautiful 5 day stretches of weather we have had this year on the east coast.

Luckily I am not travelling very much this summer. This sucks.
altabello likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
well, you're not the only customer delta has, but regardless of whatever is hurting your feelings, there's zero evidence presented that these particular initiatives have anything to do with the operational issues.
dls25 and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 2:00 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
The case for paying more for Delta vs AA or UA has certainly evaporated. In 2019 I wouldn't fly any other airline. Now I'm on track to keep AA Gold next year in addition to barely requalifying for Delta PM.

That's a consequence of Delta's failure to follow through on its marketing. I started flying AA when they were serving drinks and Delta wasn't, and now I don't see much difference between the two.
In total agreement. Same situation here.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 2:08 pm

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
I wondered if the pilots union had an alternative motive for that letter. Holy bebjezub....$265k for is the average salary with 12 years experience (and let's say 5 in regional)? Wonder how many hours that is, per year. Plus 401k plus profit sharing? Good lord, let's not get too greedy here pilots.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 2:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, AmEx Plat, Agnostic on Airline Programs
Ok, so this thread has gotten my attention: my 15 yo is flying solo for the first time on DL from BHM>ATL>STL next Sunday to meet me (I have a professional obligation and meeting him in STL). Under pre-meltdown conditions I would be fine, but I can't tell if the recent spate of things are enough to get concerned and look for a flight elsewhere? Any thoughts or tips on how to handle any potential snafus much appreciated.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 2:12 pm

Just to add another DP, was supposed to be flying DFW-SLC-SEA today. The DFW-SLC leg was delayed to the point where I was likely to miss my connection, but I didn't accept a rebooking to keep my F upgrade in case the SLC-SEA leg was delayed as there was another SLC-SEA flight later tonight that I could've gone on if I missed the connection and was planning on asking a SkyClub agent for a seat on both flights to hedge my bets. Also, every time I tried to view my boarding pass, the app would warn me that I was likely to miss my connection and offered to help me find alternatives, but that modal would not close reliably so it made it extremely difficult to pull up my boarding pass.

However, when I got to the airport, my SLC-SEA leg was cancelled and I was rerouted through DTW to arrive past midnight and all seats on the later SLC-SEA flight were filled by other displaced passengers. I went to the SkyClub to ask for earlier alternatives and the agent unfortunately didn't see any with available seats. However, once I got food and settled in, I checked the app was able to snag the last seat of another DTW-SEA flight that would get there around 10. Also saw a seat on a DFW-LAX-SEA flight with about the same arrival time when changing my flight, but only when purchasing F mixed cabin, and not when viewing alternative flights. Asked the SkyClub agent and she said that the option to modify the flight was to oversell the flight and they were not allowed to do so for alternative routes, which is fair. The way the desk is laid out meant I had a good view of her screen while she worked and I was amazed that she was doing all this through a terminal CLI rather than with a UI. Huge props to the agents that need to deal with that and shame on Delta IT for having such an unintuitive system.

Decided to stick with my connection through DTW and luckily got C+ on both legs but still stings to lose C+ on an A220 with only one aisle-mate and F on my second leg, which was a paid upgrade. Curious to know what would have happened if I had purchased the flight through LAX and asked an agent to switch the PNRs after the fact as others have reported doing here as trading extra time in the sky for time in the LAX SkyClub certainly would be preferred, but decided not to risk it since I'd need to have purchased F seats. Upside to this is that all agents in DFW were great and the food in the SkyClub was surprisingly good, although with limited options.

Edit: I got home tonight, although a few hours late, so kudos to Delta for being able to have that flexibility for a flight originally scheduled for the afternoon. However, the new flights were not without their faults either. The DFW-DTW flight was delayed about 20 minutes due to flight attendants being held up on their inbound SLC-DFW flight... which was also the inbound flight that caused all of the delays resulting in the issues with my original itinerary. There were multiple people on the flight who had extremely tight connections due to this, including the guy sitting next to me who had a 17-minute connection from terminal A to C 😬. The FAs pulled up everyone with a tight connection on their phone and went around to make sure they knew where their next gate was and how to get there while also making an announcement to keep the aisles clear once we got to the gate for these passengers which everyone surprisingly followed. Unfortunately, the jetway was having a mechanical issue so the door didn't open until about ~5 minutes after parking, which doesn't sound like much but must have felt like a lifetime to those with tight connections. Coincidentally, there was also an issue with the jetway once I arrived at SEA, although this time it was because there was no GA to extend the jetway even though we had to wait before pulling into the gate because another plane was using it. Surprisingly (to me at least), I also got full credit for the DTW routing in terms of MQMs while still maintaining the MQDs from my original booking.
DiverDave likes this.

Last edited by jjl468; Jun 20, 2022 at 1:49 am
Old Jun 19, 2022, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper
I would guess mostly.
While there are no stats yet for this weekend's cuts, last weekend they loaded a bunch of August and September schedule cuts. I count 44 routes that took cuts for either August alone, or both August and September (or beyond). The weekend of June 4th was light for schedule updates and only shows 4 routes getting August cuts. The weekend of May 28th was a big one for July cuts with 43 routes taking July cutbacks. The weekend of May 21st also was another big update with 55 route cuts for either July or August or both. While quite a few of the reductions involved canceling 1 flight a day, some reductions were less severe than that. I'm guessing if you added them all up they would be close to 100 flights/day that DL had mentioned in their press release. I should also add that these include both mainline and regional flight reductions (although they mostly look to be mainline routes).
Yesterday ATL> MSY and MSY>ATL went from 8 daily nonstops to 10 for my October conference travel. So DL both giveth and taketh away.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by northinsouth
Ok, so this thread has gotten my attention: my 15 yo is flying solo for the first time on DL from BHM>ATL>STL next Sunday to meet me (I have a professional obligation and meeting him in STL). Under pre-meltdown conditions I would be fine, but I can't tell if the recent spate of things are enough to get concerned and look for a flight elsewhere? Any thoughts or tips on how to handle any potential snafus much appreciated.
Find him a nonstop or you run the risk of being stuck in ATL and not old enough to book a hotel. My young kids only fly nonstop so they can only get stuck at home or destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.