Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Still Welcome! (2022 - Forward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Still Welcome! (2022 - Forward)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2022, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
July 17th (Sunday) is National Ice Cream Day.
beachmouse, mattp1987 and ATOBTTR like this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 8:42 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by wakesetter93
Fingers crossed I can get through the day without Mrs. WS93 figuring out it is Prime day, but the chances of that are slim.
She's a Prime suspect. I don't think she'll miss any opportunities.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 8:49 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Deleted. Duplicate post.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 8:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
She's a Prime suspect. I don't think she'll miss any opportunities.
If amazon had a Frequent Shoppers Program she would be top tier
Old Jul 12, 2022, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
happy almost-birthday to me
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 11:36 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Mellow greetings from California where I have just started a 13 day work trip. My flights out to LAX went well. My originating flight from HSV was delayed an hour, but I do not book short connections so I still had almost two hours to make the ATL-LAX flight. ATL-LAX was on a 763 and I was upfront by using a GUC so that was good. I used the ATL B club and it was busy but not full. The check-in attendant was getting frazzled trying to monitor a whole bunch of self-service check-in stations (maybe 8)?

[begin rant]

Staying a a newer hotel in Lompoc. The hotel industry is reaching new lows of being cheap. There were no bellcarts in the entry area - I asked and was told they were kept behind the counter and I would have to hand over a government ID to use one to guarantee that I would return it. I am not about to hand over a driver's license to be potentially copied or photographed, so I handed over a different government ID. I thought that was below something even a motel 6 would do. They added they only had the two carts, which is really pitiful as I expect the new flimsy style bellcarts can't cost over $500. These are just basic things a hotel needs to have.

Then I asked for some extra toiletries as they don't want you to use housekeeping. I was told that I could only have 3 at a time and the set in the room counted as one so I could only have two. Here I am paying $262 per night plus tax and they are trying to hoard toiletry bottles that cost maybe a nickel. Not to mention that California is outlawing single use toiletries at the end of this year.

I am sad as I liked this hotel and thought it was trying to be a good place to stay, but it is plain hospitality is a foreign word to them. I know that hotels had to save money while travel is down. But travel is up, room rates are way up, and the hotels are saving a TON of money by getting rid of housekeepers.

They are also saving money at the front desk, as there is never more than one person. Anytime I ask for something there is always a wait while the FDA is dealing with another customer or phone call. That lack of staffing may be intentional, or it may be an inability to hire the needed staff.

[end of rant]

OK maybe that wasn't so mellow.

Hope everybody has a great week!

David
Old Jul 12, 2022, 1:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
I don't remember the last time I used a luggage cart, as I just travel with one carry on. The toiletry thing would drive me crazy if I was there on a 2 week stay though.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by wakesetter93
I don't remember the last time I used a luggage cart, as I just travel with one carry on. The toiletry thing would drive me crazy if I was there on a 2 week stay though.
I think for me it was probably on a trip to South Padre Island since we were bringing in suitcases, cooler, drinks, beach chairs, etc. Other than that it’s pretty rare, but that’s subject to change soon.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by mattp1987
I think for me it was probably on a trip to South Padre Island since we were bringing in suitcases, cooler, drinks, beach chairs, etc. Other than that it’s pretty rare, but that’s subject to change soon.
Ah, yes. I can remember now, it was at a condo on Lake Travis since we had a bunch of coolers.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 2:00 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
We decided to go by the ice cream shop tonight in case we forget on Sunday.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I can *almost* understand the need to obtain some collateral for the luggage carts on account of ensuring a timely return rather than someone holding onto one for an extended period (again "almost), as I have had to use them before and it's pretty annoying when you go to the lobby and one isn't available and then one doesn't get returned for a while because other guests are hoarding them in the rooms, holding it for when they will need one but not using it at the moment. But I agree that I would never turn over an ID to get one. I've never been big on bars, etc. that require you to hand over an ID to obtain pool balls, darts, etc.

Unfortunately COVID gave some hotels excuses to cut services and many aren't returning them. I spent several months at a Residence Inn, part of which staying at is supposed to include a hot and decent breakfast buffet. For the entire time I was there the breakfast offerings were Bottled Water, Bottled Orange Juice, Wrapped Muffins, Nutri-grain Bars and Yogurt. I can understand the need to go to individual servings but they didn't even offer cereal or anything. Yes, it was a Residence Inn with a full kitchen and I kept plenty of breakfast items in my room but it was annoying that I was a hotel that "advertised" breakfast but provided nothing that could qualify as an actual breakfast.

I stayed at a Residence Inn again just a couple months after the stint in DC when I moved to Ohio and the Residence Inn where we stayed until we were able to move into our house did provide a full breakfast.

At both hotels, room cleaning service was only once a week which honestly I was fine with since I'm not a messy person but I did sometimes have to have my garbage and recycles collected a bit more frequently.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 3:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've noticed that some hotels put tracking devices on their luggage carts. It's more useful to know where it is than to know who is using it. The tracking devices also tell them when someone has abandoned a cart in an upstairs hallway rather than returning it to the lobby.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 7:43 am

I've noticed that some hotels put tracking devices on their luggage carts. It's more useful to know where it is than to know who is using it. The tracking devices also tell them when someone has abandoned a cart in an upstairs hallway rather than returning it to the lobby.
I'd be tempted to remove the device and drop it down a laundry chute or put it in with a cart full of used linens.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by jrl767
happy almost-birthday to me
Almost best wishes.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
I'd be tempted to remove the device and drop it down a laundry chute or put it in with a cart full of used linens.
Throw it in your rental car.

"Why is the luggage cart in Fresno?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.