Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2022 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2022, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
Link to International D1 Menus: https://deltaone.mydeltamenu.com/BOS-LHR/ (replace airport codes as appropriate)
Link to Domestic D1 Menus: https://pc2c.mydeltamenu.com/SEA-JFK/

Link to Delta Premium Select menus:
https://dps.mydeltamenu.com/SEA-ICN/
(replace airport codes as appropriate)

Current 2022 First Class meal service status -- [NOTE - all D1 flights, domestic and international, receive hot meal service]. FC meal service consists of plated meals (including hot options) between hubs and to/from most larger stations (exception stations listed below only receive cold meal box options) on flights over 900 miles which depart before 9PM (scheduled). Pre-selection is available on routes with plated meal offerings, while it is not available on cold meal box routes. In addition, flights over 2300 miles will receive meal service in FC for departures after 9PM. Snack boxes are generally offered on redeye flights under 2300 miles. Meal service is not provided on flights under 900 miles.

Current exception stations where only cold meal boxes (with no pre-selection) are offered in FC on 900+ mile flights (both to and from station):
ABQ, AUA, EGE, ELP, EYW, GEG, IAD, JAC, MCI, OAK, PLS, PSC, PUJ, SAT, TUS, YYZ, YUL, YVR

Click here for the 2017 version of this thread.

Click here for the 2018/2019 version of this thread.

Click Here for the 2020 (Prior to COVID) Version of this thread

2020/Early 2021 - COVID Inflight Version of this Thread

​​​​Click Here for the 2021 Version of this thread

Print Wikipost

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2022 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2022, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by drminn
If you read enough FT you might be convinced that you are wrong here. Oh, and add lounges as the second most important decision factor. Just saying ...
Reading flyertalk is a great example of selection bias.

Certainly there are some people who put the in-flight meal and lounge as the top two things. But the people who both tend to value those things most and post on flyertalk also tend to think their particular preferences are the dominant preferences, but they're not (this should be empiracally obvious).
AeRoSpaceman and pharmawalk like this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 6:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I know this is old news to many of you, but as an infrequent DL flyer was amazed today to learn they're still serving boxed meals in F on JFK-PHX (smoked salmon, charcuterie, or day old oats; I passed). Fortunately we ate in the lounge, which I guess is the survival plan on DL these days. 764 with the new suites, but no pillows or blankets. The Vantage seat still sucks, despite the big new screen and pretty new surfaces.
TastyPlaneEats likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I found where one can buy the tongue depressors cutlery that DL is including in the Sadboxes. For those that want to recreate the experience at home, head down to your local Monoprix

Old Jan 18, 2022, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
I spoke with someone at Delta who said while yes the sad boxes are cheaper, the two primary reasons they are still in place are 1) staffing levels at catering contractors, and 2) lack of glassware, plates and silverware. Apparently that stuff was mostly sold off rather than stored during the pandemic. Now supply chain issues are hampering procurement.

Last edited by DLASflyer; Jan 18, 2022 at 12:57 pm
Old Jan 18, 2022, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by The Situation
Had a good FA who seemed fairly knowledgeable about the plastic cup situation. She warned me that the flight was double-catered in SEA and they went through their cup supply on the outbound, so they only had ~10 cups left for the entire plane on two hour flight. If I wanted a refill, I would either need to reuse my cup or drink from the bottle. F would be the only group that would receive cups. C+ and Y would be drinking from the bottle I asked if any paper bags were catered The storage was designed for the cups that DL used to cater, but they have been unable to source cups for some time (and its not for a lack of trying). The mix and match cups don't stack as well and take up a lot more room in the storage so often they can't carry as many cups, and they are often rationed anyway since DL has had difficulty sourcing them. No news on when glass cups will return though, although there is a push for them.
This explains the odd-shaped cup on my last domestic flight - tall and thin, from eco products. It was actually a nice change of pace to have a little more cup capacity, but definitely not the correct shape for the various cup divots in the seats or tray tables.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 1:12 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz

HNL-MSP DeltaOne Menu for January 2022.

I'm ordering the chicken; on a separate note, I missed the fact that Captain Cook somehow introduced orzo during his visits to Polynesia.

About an hour before arrival, there was a breakfast service with options of cold cereal and fruit or a cheese omelette and potatoes.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 21, 2022 at 5:01 am
Old Jan 18, 2022, 3:19 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt Explorist, Wyndham Diamond

JFK-LAX D1. Cheese omelette with some thick turkey bacon, breakfast potatoes, fruit salad, and yogurt with some fruit. Real glass cups have made a comeback.

LAX-JFK D1. Marinara braised meatballs with garlic bread and ricotta cheese, side bread with butter, salad and I think chocolate mint cake, which was actually really good (the cake). Also got another glass cup with my meal.

FA walked around with a pdb tray of champagne/sparkling wine served in plastic cups.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 7:52 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by xjaehyun

JFK-LAX D1. Cheese omelette with some thick turkey bacon, breakfast potatoes, fruit salad, and yogurt with some fruit. Real glass cups have made a comeback.

LAX-JFK D1. Marinara braised meatballs with garlic bread and ricotta cheese, side bread with butter, salad and I think chocolate mint cake, which was actually really good (the cake). Also got another glass cup with my meal.

FA walked around with a pdb tray of champagne/sparkling wine served in plastic cups.
not a problem if it isn't bubbling
Old Jan 20, 2022, 1:15 am

Programs: DL DM/2 MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Exec Elite, Hilton Gold
JFK - SFO
Dinner

January, 2022

Impossible Meatball was very good and I'd order it again.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 11:11 am

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
In news beyond the Sad Boxes™, it looks like the premium snack basket has switched out a couple of items. On both my legs today, my beloved Cooper Street Blueberry Pomegranate Granola Cookie is gone -- replaced with some very bland and dry graham cracker bites and Michel et Augustin Dark Chocolate and Sea Salt Cookies. There's already the Kind Thin with dark chocolate and sea salt in the basket... why they decided to add a second dark chocolate and sea salt item in a basket with only five or six items is beyond me.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 11:43 am

Programs: DL - PM
Originally Posted by ohhleary
In news beyond the Sad Boxes™, it looks like the premium snack basket has switched out a couple of items. On both my legs today, my beloved Cooper Street Blueberry Pomegranate Granola Cookie is gone -- replaced with some very bland and dry graham cracker bites and Michel et Augustin Dark Chocolate and Sea Salt Cookies. There's already the Kind Thin with dark chocolate and sea salt in the basket... why they decided to add a second dark chocolate and sea salt item in a basket with only five or six items is beyond me.
For those of you not familiar with the Michel et Augustin cookies, they're awful. Don't bother trying them. I plan to take one for the team by eating one myself whenever possible to save someone else the agony.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Ordhater
For those of you not familiar with the Michel et Augustin cookies, they're awful. Don't bother trying them. I plan to take one for the team by eating one myself whenever possible to save someone else the agony.
I will make sure to take bulkhead on my flights next week so that I can eat them all so that nobody else has to suffer. You're welcome
Old Jan 23, 2022, 5:59 am

I hope someone can help; we are based in the UK and haven't flown domestic in years in the US.

We are flying in Comfort+ from LAX to HNL in mid February on DL330 (1:32pm - 5:24pm), returning on DL1096 (8:05am - 3:30pm). The flights are 5h45m and 5h20m.. The booking states: "Meal Services: Snacks, Drinks, Snacks, Food for Purchase" but the link isn't working so I can't see any details.

Looking at this topic, I am right in thinking we will get some drinks (alcoholic and soft) and the snacks are probably just a cookie or some pretzels, which doesn't seem much for a 5 hour flight - so I guess we need to "self cater" and eat before we board? I am diabetic so I need to be a little careful.

Thanks in advance, Peter
Old Jan 23, 2022, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by deep_south
I hope someone can help; we are based in the UK and haven't flown domestic in years in the US.

We are flying in Comfort+ from LAX to HNL in mid February on DL330 (1:32pm - 5:24pm), returning on DL1096 (8:05am - 3:30pm). The flights are 5h45m and 5h20m.. The booking states: "Meal Services: Snacks, Drinks, Snacks, Food for Purchase" but the link isn't working so I can't see any details.

Looking at this topic, I am right in thinking we will get some drinks (alcoholic and soft) and the snacks are probably just a cookie or some pretzels, which doesn't seem much for a 5 hour flight - so I guess we need to "self cater" and eat before we board? I am diabetic so I need to be a little careful.

Thanks in advance, Peter
you do have a good understanding of the provisions in y and C+. Definitely eat up in advance or BYOF, or plan to fast.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 10:45 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt Explorist, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by deep_south

Thanks in advance, Peter

They’re still not serving any buy on board meals from what I’ve experienced so you will want to eat. Luckily, the new connector to Terminal 1 at LAX is finished so you can walk there to get something to eat. It’s not that much of a difference in eateries but it’s better than hunting for a table to eat at (where your Hawaii flight will depart from).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.