Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2022 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2022, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: xliioper
Link to International D1 Menus: https://deltaone.mydeltamenu.com/BOS-LHR/ (replace airport codes as appropriate)
Link to Domestic D1 Menus: https://pc2c.mydeltamenu.com/SEA-JFK/

Link to Delta Premium Select menus:
https://dps.mydeltamenu.com/SEA-ICN/
(replace airport codes as appropriate)

Current 2022 First Class meal service status -- [NOTE - all D1 flights, domestic and international, receive hot meal service]. FC meal service consists of plated meals (including hot options) between hubs and to/from most larger stations (exception stations listed below only receive cold meal box options) on flights over 900 miles which depart before 9PM (scheduled). Pre-selection is available on routes with plated meal offerings, while it is not available on cold meal box routes. In addition, flights over 2300 miles will receive meal service in FC for departures after 9PM. Snack boxes are generally offered on redeye flights under 2300 miles. Meal service is not provided on flights under 900 miles.

Current exception stations where only cold meal boxes (with no pre-selection) are offered in FC on 900+ mile flights (both to and from station):
ABQ, AUA, EGE, ELP, EYW, GEG, IAD, JAC, MCI, OAK, PLS, PSC, PUJ, SAT, TUS, YYZ, YUL, YVR

Click here for the 2017 version of this thread.

Click here for the 2018/2019 version of this thread.

Click Here for the 2020 (Prior to COVID) Version of this thread

2020/Early 2021 - COVID Inflight Version of this Thread

​​​​Click Here for the 2021 Version of this thread

Print Wikipost

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2022 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2022, 10:45 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
This is a long thread, so I didn't see it posted, but ATL-DCA last night the FA said they are once again catering Coke Zero. He went to get me one and came back with Diet Coke, telling me they forgot to load them on this flight. He told me they had been back for about a week and were much more popular than Diet Coke. I hope he's correct.
jimrpa likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by DCAproducer
This is a long thread, so I didn't see it posted, but ATL-DCA last night the FA said they are once again catering Coke Zero. He went to get me one and came back with Diet Coke, telling me they forgot to load them on this flight. He told me they had been back for about a week and were much more popular than Diet Coke. I hope he's correct.
On my flight from PHX-ATL two days ago, passenger sitting across from me in FC got one.
DCAproducer likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 3:10 pm

Thumbs down All Terrible First Class Recently: MSP - LAS, MSP - LAX, LAX - KOA, MSP - CUN

I've been flying pretty exclusively Delta First class for the last 10 years (except overseas I try to use Emirates, Qatar, Singapore, etc.).

I used to really enjoy first class:
- Nice / pleasant service (people would smile).
- Welcome drink on the plane
- Wine in bottles with GLASSES
- Snack baskets
- Hot meals (even if they weren't good, they tried)
- Silverware
- Placemats
- Mugs for hot coffee
- Separate service to select breads / buns / butter
- Multiple rounds of refreshments, and generally a good attitude by flight attendants.

NOW:
- Nothing on the ground.
- If "it's not too bumpy" the FA's come by and drop a cold box of gross sandwiches (if you are lucky) 45 minutes into the flight, and ask for drink orders.
- 30 minutes later if you are lucky, you get a glass of wine in a plastic cup.
- 5 minutes later they take away the boxes.
- The entire remainder of the flight they disappear and play games on their phones.
- If you are assertive, you may be able to walk up and ask for a refill of bad wine.

For the difference in cost from coach -> first class of usually $500-$700, you would think you could get a decent meal, a napkin, a glass cup, or something more than the 3" of additional legroom.

I am truly sorry that some passengers have been rude, and perhaps there is a worker shortage, and all sorts of issues. But it's honestly like they just stopped trying all together.

And NONE of these service items are related to COVID. It's quite clear that the virus does not spread on food, or glass cups more than plastic cups.

Sadly, there still isn't much better of an option, so I'll keep paying full prices for very sad service.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 5:54 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by gavinpquinn
I've been flying pretty exclusively Delta First class for the last 10 years (except overseas I try to use Emirates, Qatar, Singapore, etc.).

I used to really enjoy first class:
- Nice / pleasant service (people would smile).
- Welcome drink on the plane
- Wine in bottles with GLASSES
- Snack baskets
- Hot meals (even if they weren't good, they tried)
- Silverware
- Placemats
- Mugs for hot coffee
- Separate service to select breads / buns / butter
- Multiple rounds of refreshments, and generally a good attitude by flight attendants.

NOW:
- Nothing on the ground.
- If "it's not too bumpy" the FA's come by and drop a cold box of gross sandwiches (if you are lucky) 45 minutes into the flight, and ask for drink orders.
- 30 minutes later if you are lucky, you get a glass of wine in a plastic cup.
- 5 minutes later they take away the boxes.
- The entire remainder of the flight they disappear and play games on their phones.
- If you are assertive, you may be able to walk up and ask for a refill of bad wine.

For the difference in cost from coach -> first class of usually $500-$700, you would think you could get a decent meal, a napkin, a glass cup, or something more than the 3" of additional legroom.

I am truly sorry that some passengers have been rude, and perhaps there is a worker shortage, and all sorts of issues. But it's honestly like they just stopped trying all together.

And NONE of these service items are related to COVID. It's quite clear that the virus does not spread on food, or glass cups more than plastic cups.

Sadly, there still isn't much better of an option, so I'll keep paying full prices for very sad service.

yep that’s the new Delta experience … and even if they are serving hot meals in early March, it won’t take away the surliness of the DL crew or their preference to do the bare minimum!
TastyPlaneEats likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
Originally Posted by flyinhwn
I have had the good fortune of flying D1 between HNL and MSP/ATL several times in 2021-22, and I thought the meals were getting pretty good. I flew in economy this week between HNL and ATL, and to my surprise, the D1 meal was actually an economy meal plated in a more appealing way. The portions were remarkably similar, and the only things different were the salad and the dessert. Even the snacks were the same. I guess I should be happy about my economy meal rather than being sad over my D1 meal.

Maybe we shouldn't be too hard on Delta serving economy meals in PS, when they are serving them in D1
dw likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 8:51 pm

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Mezze bowl sad box. Surly PDX based crew.

Old Jan 28, 2022, 11:03 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
DTW-MCO the other night, in first, had a return of the sad box. I had to remember whether I preferred Bistro or Market. Urgh.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 7:49 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
1/30 DL 1481 SAN-SEA 1100-1408 737-800

Choice of ham sandwich, vegetable sandwich, or a chicken and grain bowl

The sandwich wasn't bad (once I took the raw onions off it) but needed condiments.

1/30 DL 828 SEA-RDU 1515-2300 737-800

Choice of roast beef sandwich, vegetable sandwich or a couscous bowl

These meals really give "included at your all day seminar" vibes.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 10:38 am

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
DL FAs aren't unionized and they've been delivering "reduced" service throughout.
Ahh, but not by their choice. That's Eddie's fault. I've had many FA's apologize for the "food" being served.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spudley007
DTW-MCO the other night, in first, had a return of the sad box. I had to remember whether I preferred Bistro or Market. Urgh.
If it was DL1550, it wasn't really a "return" as the snack boxes are the only thing offered in FC on flights with scheduled departures of 9:00PM or later (unless flight is 2300 miles or longer). DL1550 has scheduled departure for 9:00PM on the nose.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 31, 2022 at 11:27 am
Old Jan 31, 2022, 12:23 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by matchbox20_is
Mezze bowl sad box. Surly PDX based crew.

if perennially friendly PDX has a surly crew, god help us with the ATL / JFK / DTW ones!!
Old Jan 31, 2022, 12:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Alaska,Delta Silver
AS PDX-MCO Jan 14 non-stop : warm everything bagel spiced quiche, Irish bacon and potato pancake with sauce delivered by an attentive FA.
Return Jan 26 L MCO-ATL ATL-PDX 5 1/2 hour flight : sad box cold turkey sandwich delivered by one of two FA’s : terrible service with surly attitudes.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Looks like ex-SFO the boxes have been handed off to Souvla as part of their new partnership.

I have had two flights catered as Lunch, and the options are a "Salami Sandwich" (pictured), a "Greek Chicken Salad", or an "Orzo Salad with Eggplant".

Quality is comparable to the other cold boxes, which is a bit of a disappointment since I would expect better from the big splashy new thing, even if it's cold an shelf stable. This sandwich was most salami between the bread, with some olives and onions and Greek seasonings. There was a confusing vial of tzatziki which I attempted to put on the sandwich. Even with that, there was way too much bread for the amount of filling, and the effect was extremely dry. Both times I've had this, it was about the same.

Contrary to the some of the complaints in this thread, the FA service I have received on my flights has been mostly excellent (although they struggle to remember to collect coats since there is no PDB anymore). It's just the physical product getting loaded on the a/c which is a disappointment.

Old Jan 31, 2022, 2:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by CMK10
1/30 DL 1481 SAN-SEA 1100-1408 737-800

It looks like DL is sourcing stuff from more local suppliers. Bell's is a local cookie shop in Seattle - I think Tim's Potato Chips is also a Pacific NW brand. DL used to serve more mass-produced food, like Dancing Deer's (for desserts). I think I also saw a locally made cookie on a DTW-SEA flight a month ago.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 10:42 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton HHonors Silver, Hertz Gold Status.
Another peeve of mine is getting unexpected upgrades before boarding (happened on ATL to LAX a few weeks ago as a DM) and the F/As reading out ingredients on a list for each option. Point being, I dont like onions and there was a lot of back and fourth regarding the options available when taking orders (all seemed to have them). Asian Noodle salad it was, and it was fine I guess. Bottom line, I'm not picking off onions off a sandwich in F. I miss the DL burger a lot.
cmd320 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.