Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2022, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bcpoinciana
Thank you, I should have clarified. When I change the bag quantity to 3, it shows a charge of $0.00. If I change it to 4, it shows $200.00. A glitch perhaps?
Okay, it looks like 3 free is correct for Plats and Diamonds on domestic flights (including BE, Main, and C+ cabins) -- https://www.delta.com/us/en/baggage/...gage-allowance
Old Jun 15, 2022, 1:57 pm

I wonder if someone could advise me. I have an upcoming PIT-HER trip. When I booked it my return via Boston had a direct flight BOS-PIT. That was of course cancelled, and I was rerouted via Detroit. Oh well. However, now I see my original BOS-PIT is back on the schedule. What I want to know is if I change this via the website or app, will I lose my seat reservations on the AMS-BOS segment? That is, it’s showing the return trip as something entirely new and I am essentially rebooking the entire flight again, or at least that’s what it looks like.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 2:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Now why is the same DL metal flight only a 2k ticket on the AF website when it is $5k on the DL website?

Old Jun 15, 2022, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
Now why is the same DL metal flight only a 2k ticket on the AF website when it is $5k on the DL website?

Are you doing a one-way or roundtrip fare search? The Delta website shows lowest "possible" total roundtrip price on listing of flights (combining both outbound and return fares) when performing a roundtrip search while AF website shows each-way pricing when doing a roundtrip search. You need to select a complete itin with both outbound and return flights to determine any fare differences when doing a roundtrip search.
hhdl and VacationMode like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 15, 2022 at 2:57 pm
Old Jun 15, 2022, 6:53 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I'm not a newbie but I feel like one after so long out of the frequent flyer game.

I currently have hundreds of thousands of MQM via rollover, am currently a DM, and if the year ended right now, I would have "annual complimentary" silver medallion status via 1MM for next year.

I believe I have read that complimentary medallion status is not sufficient to trigger future rollovers - is that correct?

If so, do I need to just get to the MQD for silver, or do I need to get the MQD for Gold, so that my status is no longer "complimentary silver"?
Old Jun 15, 2022, 6:58 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by angra
I'm not a newbie but I feel like one after so long out of the frequent flyer game.

I currently have hundreds of thousands of MQM via rollover, and "annual complimentary" silver medallion status via 1MM.

I believe I have read that complimentary medallion status is not sufficient to trigger future rollovers - is that correct?

If so, do I need to just get to the MQD for silver, or do I need to get the MQD for Gold, so that my status is no longer "complimentary silver"?
All you have to do to qualify for "any" rollover of MQMs is to have earned "any" medallion qualification level. Earning FO (silver) is sufficient to qualify for MQM rollover. If you earn MQDs sufficient for FO (or earn the MQD waiver via Amex), all those "hundreds of thousands of MQMs" (less whatever MQMs give you your next Medallion level) will roll over.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 8:11 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
This is a copy from the policy:
  1. The cost of Economy Comfort seats will be reimbursed for those flights where the sum total of flight time to or from the destination exceeds 8 hours.
From that wording, it's just extra legroom economy. What KL markets as Economy Comfort, AF as Seat Plus, DL as Comfort+, AA as Main Cabin Extra, and UA as Economy Plus. For a flight of that length, it's just going to be an economy seat with a few extra inches of legroom, not Premium Economy.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Oddly when looking at fares now, it is very expensive to book the flights. I do not understand why the flight is showing at 3800 on KLM (flying on DL metal) and the same flight is 5300 on DL for the same flight.

I wonder if BA is a better option for this flight?

It is the same operating flight (DL-operated) but you’re looking at different marketing carriers who each market and price their own fares on the codeshares.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
It is the same operating flight (DL-operated) but you’re looking at different marketing carriers who each market and price their own fares on the codeshares.
They are actual DL marketed flights with DL fares (if they were AF marketed flights, the DL flight number is not shown). The difference showing for fares is due to AF site displaying prices as each-way when performing a roundtrip search, while DL website displays total lowest possible roundtrip price on outbound flight listings with roundtrip searches. Unlike DL website, AF website will often show partner marketed flights/fares (so be careful with BE fares shown on AF website as you will get zero credit if DL marketed. Also, mileage/MQD earn will be cost based, instead of mileage based). With AF marketed flights/fares in fare listings, they will show the operating carrier, but not the specific flight number as shown below.

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 16, 2022 at 10:34 am
Old Jun 16, 2022, 10:58 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Originally Posted by mnbp
All you have to do to qualify for "any" rollover of MQMs is to have earned "any" medallion qualification level. Earning FO (silver) is sufficient to qualify for MQM rollover. If you earn MQDs sufficient for FO (or earn the MQD waiver via Amex), all those "hundreds of thousands of MQMs" (less whatever MQMs give you your next Medallion level) will roll over.
Thank you! That's how I would hope it works, but I wouldn't put it past Delta's IT to require some sort of state change to exceed the complimentary status. I appreciate the confirmation. I should be able to get to Silver MQD without too much effort. I ended up relationship with Amex a few years ago, so it's all on MQD for me.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper
They are actual DL marketed flights with DL fares (if they were AF marketed flights, the DL flight number is not shown). The difference showing for fares is due to AF site displaying prices as each-way when performing a roundtrip search, while DL website displays total lowest possible roundtrip price on outbound flight listings with roundtrip searches. Unlike DL website, AF website will often show partner marketed flights/fares (so be careful with BE fares shown on AF website as you will get zero credit if DL marketed. Also, mileage/MQD earn will be cost based, instead of mileage based). With AF marketed flights/fares in fare listings, they will show the operating carrier, but not the specific flight number as shown below.

Thank you, that was informative.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 5:57 pm

HI guys, I am completely new to this earn MQM from partner airline thing. I just booked a flight from ATL-LHR-ATL from VS. Wondering if the 2nd leg that is operated by Delta will mess up this run? Also follow up question, the only place that I see I can put my Delta Skymiles is under the Frequent flyer club number, but that didn't specifically say Skymile. Is there anything else I need to do?

I can't post attachment yet. So my first flight # is VS104 and 2nd flight # is VS4045, but operating by Delta airlines.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChosenWan
HI guys, I am completely new to this earn MQM from partner airline thing. I just booked a flight from ATL-LHR-ATL from VS. Wondering if the 2nd leg that is operated by Delta will mess up this run? Also follow up question, the only place that I see I can put my Delta Skymiles is under the Frequent flyer club number, but that didn't specifically say Skymile. Is there anything else I need to do?

I can't post attachment yet. So my first flight # is VS104 and 2nd flight # is VS4045, but operating by Delta airlines.
There's a drop-down menu to select your FF program when booking on VS website. You specify DL Skymiles program along your Skymiles number. Marketing carrier doesn't really matter for MQM earn as it will be mileage based in both cases. VS marketed flights will earn miles and MQDs based on mileage flown which can be more or less than the revenue based earnings for DL marketed flights (it depends on fare class and how much the flights cost vs. mileage flown).
obscure2k likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 2:10 pm

I haven't flown for a while and have the Reserve Amex card. I wonder if the benefit provided from that alone would give me an upgrade.

Also, let's say I get Platinum or Diamond, what are the chances that I would get a complimentary upgrade to Comfort+ or Delta?
Old Jun 17, 2022, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by balice
I haven't flown for a while and have the Reserve Amex card. I wonder if the benefit provided from that alone would give me an upgrade.

Also, let's say I get Platinum or Diamond, what are the chances that I would get a complimentary upgrade to Comfort+ or Delta?
LOL, in today's environment, I would just like to get an upgrade. I bit the bullet and got the reserve myself, so I may have that answer in the future, but I am not hopeful. With Diamond, I have gotten a many upgrades, but covid took that away, now building back again.

Last edited by EasternTraveler; Jun 19, 2022 at 11:19 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.