Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2020, 10:26 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I replied to your post on the other thread, but in case it helps anyone in a similar situation I might also try appealing to the DOT web page regarding refunds if necessary:

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread
Old Mar 29, 2020, 10:55 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
I was shocked to get through to an agent immediately.

1. April trip MSY-LGA-MSY. LGA-MSY had been cancelled and rebooked through ATL by DL. Refund request was processed with no problem.
2. April trip for 2 employees on Reserve Companion tickets, MSY-LAX-SFO-LAX-MSY. LAX-MSY had been cancelled. Refund request processed with no problem and Companion Certificate reinstated.

Agent was fine after I mentioned D.O.T rules and I have no complaints. I received email confirming the refund processing.

Last edited by SuperG1955; Mar 29, 2020 at 4:01 pm Reason: spelling
Old Mar 29, 2020, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Zorak
I replied to your post on the other thread, but in case it helps anyone in a similar situation I might also try appealing to the DOT web page regarding refunds if necessary:

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread
Thanks, despite not wanting to waste phone time, I called, and it was only a 6-minute wait. The agent didn't put up an argument, and though it took about 15 minutes to process, she said I should be getting a full refund.
JPG3392 and Zorak like this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 2:33 pm

Any luck getting extension beyond 12 months

Hi, has anyone had any luck asking Delta to provide voucher extension beyond 12 month of original booking date? We are anticipating that our Europe cruise in early June will be cancelled. If so, we will need to reschedule flights for June 2021. DL currently 12 month voucher from original booking date would not work and we would end up loosing quite a bit of money. :/
Old Mar 29, 2020, 5:18 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Have you asked about getting a refund instead of the voucher?
Old Mar 29, 2020, 6:40 pm

I called today to request a refund for a MSP-HND flight coming up in April. Only a 3 minute wait to get to an agent. I asked for a refund for our direct MSP-HND flight that was changed to MSP-SEA-HND. When I asked for a refund, the agent initially said I couldn't get a refund because it was a schedule change, not a canceled flight. I replied that I would like a refund because we no longer have the direct flight that we booked. I was then quickly transferred to the refund department, where the refund was promptly issued. The whole process took 5-7 minutes. Very happy with Delta and the agents I spoke to today, obviously gave a 5 on the one question survey.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 7:03 pm

Programs: dl platinum
Covid Delta Vacations

Feel free to move this to a proper thread.

How do refunds/credits work for cancelling a trip through delta vacations. Was supposed to take family to riviera maya for a week coming up. Would rather not end up with that much in ecredits.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 8:42 pm

Programs: DL DM
Here's a data point from calling in today to cancel a trip scheduled at the end of April:

Long story short, a schedule change occurred on a trip from ANC-ECP. The first flight from ANC-MSP was cancelled as a route for April. The system auto-rebooked the trip as a multi-city over two days, and comically had me on connections that departed well before the inbound flight was supposed to arrive. Anyway, due to the system wide reduction of schedules, I made the decision trying to re-route the trip wasn't worth it (I posted in the operational impact thread yesterday the difficulties the new schedules are creating for those of us in AK). I called into the Platinum Line today and was quoted a 5 minute wait. I elected to wait on hold rather than a call back. In about 5 minutes an agent answered. I briefly explained that I was calling about a trip in April that had undergone a schedule change, my original departing flight was cancelled, and the auto rebooking was a mess. I would simply like to cancel for a refund. He put me on a 2 or 3 minute hold while he completed the refund request form and cancelled the reservation. He said that all refund requests were having to be manually reviewed, but this scenario easily qualifies due to the cancelled flight and severe change in flight times. There was no push back, and no run-around about getting a refund. I was fully prepared to discuss the CoC, DOT rules, etc... but none of that was necessary. I've since received an email confirmation of the refund request and should have a refund back to Amex in about 7 days. Overall, very pleased!

I also had the agent investigate why another trip I cancelled about 2 weeks ago for an e-credit was still not showing up in My Wallet. He immediately found the ticket, and mentioned the previous agent had forgotten to "unhook it" from the previous PNR. A few clicks on his end and now my credit is displaying properly in my account. He said this was a common issue from the mad rush of cancellations over the last few weeks. So - if anyone is still having this issue it might be worth a call in to have DL fix it. This way the credit shows up and hopefully can be redeemed online rather than having to call in when the time comes.

So, in total, I have had 2 trips cancelled as a result of this mess. One I took an e-credit on, and now one for a refund due to the cancellation. I've got 3 more upcoming reservations, but nothing until mid-June, so I'm hoping by then things are starting to return to normal.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 9:01 pm
Suspended

If I book a refundable flight for next year with a voucher that expires in December, what would happen if I makes changes to that flight in 2021?
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 10:41 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by evanr81
Feel free to move this to a proper thread.

How do refunds/credits work for cancelling a trip through delta vacations. Was supposed to take family to riviera maya for a week coming up. Would rather not end up with that much in ecredits.
I cancelled a DL Vacation package, but was only able to get an evoucher to be used by 12/31/20--the trip could be much later.
Normally DL Vacations (even though you bought a "package") treats the air and hotel portions as separate entities. Since the virus issue, my hotel portion even though non-cancellable was NOW cancellable I didn't make a fuss since I will be taking future DL Vacations.
See what restrictions have been removed from your hotel portion (from the hotels side).
Old Mar 30, 2020, 1:02 am

Forgive me if this has been covered; I have two flights scheduled prior to May 31. On the first flight, I paid to upgrade seats. Any data points on whether or not the upgrade would be included in value of ticket for credits towards new flight later in the year?
Old Mar 30, 2020, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
Have you asked about getting a refund instead of the voucher?
My flight isnt until June so I havent called but I am getting nervous since there is a very good chance the cruise will be cancelled. I figured DL will not do anything for me now if I call this early but am curious to know if there has been any success asking DL to extend rebooking and traveling date beyond their current rule of 12 month from original booking date. Im okay with them hanging onto my money, just dont have an ability to travel until next June if we dont travel this June.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 5:47 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
On www.delta.com I cancelled an itn on 3/26. I immediately received an email that the full price will be refunded to my cc, I have a "cancellation authorization" code. My cc has not yet been credited. [The email notes it could take 1 billing cycle to appear.]
For a similar cancellation (2 weeks earlier) the credit to my cc showed up 2 days later.
Are there any known delays with cc credits appearing?
Addendum:
The 3/26 cancellation notes: "You've successfully cancelled your trip. The credit card used to purchase your ticket has been credited the full purchase price."
The one from two weeks earlier has has the actual breakdown of the price--the one on 3/26 does not.

Last edited by nrr; Mar 30, 2020 at 5:57 am
Old Mar 30, 2020, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by tom_MN
No, I purchased the economy comfort thru Delta.com just to somewhat simplify things. Thanks for the info!
Originally Posted by Often1
If you purchased the seats as part of your e-ticket, the refund ought to be part of the DL refund. If done separately, you will have to work through KL for the refund.
I guess I will have to work thru KLM separately. Delta refunded the ticket prices but not the economy comfort on the KLM flight which was ultimately canceled. I tried by calling Delta 2 weeks ago for the refund of everything (she said it would take 20 minutes for the KLM part so I should not stay in the line), then Twitter today, @Delta is saying that I have to deal with KLM. Will the EC just be refunded automatically from KLM since the flight was canceled?
Old Mar 30, 2020, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
in october 2019 i made a number of reservations for myself & my family for a vacation in may this year....i booked tickets for 10 members of my family to travel to multiple domestic destinations, totaling around $7,500....

now there is a strong likelihood that travel restrictions will not allow my family to travel to the u.s. this summer....dl is allowing me to change the reservations to a future date or get an e-credit that has to be used by october 2020....dl says the credit will go in the name of each individual in whose name the travel is booked but my problem is that none of my family members are u.s. residents & have no plans to come back to the u.s. this year if the travel restrictions don't allow them to travel in may....so there is no way for them to use the credit....

i paid for all the tickets & would be in a position to use most, if not all of the credit by october if it were in my name....does anyone have any experience in getting dl to put the credit in the name of the person who pays rather than the name of the passenger????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.