Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2020, 4:46 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum
I just used a credit from my wallet and the value listed was after the $200 fee.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX
Delta is great... but, I really wonder why they are letting people cancel trips to Europe... in four months.

And, I'm wondering WHY people are canceling
I genuinely don't understand the panic / run off the cliff herd mentality here.
It's.... just.... bizarre.....
At first I could understand your posts because I felt the same during the time after 9/11 and even during SARS. Now I feel you and others in the “I’m going wherever I want whenever I want” camp are being irresponsible. Even if you feel the risk to you personally is small, which it no doubt is. You can transmit this very easily spread virus to someone else who is older or has a compromised immune system even if your only symptom is sniffles.

Not one, but two, major countries have deemed this virus serious enough to shut down parts of their countries and devastate their economy. Presumably they are doing this after looking at how dangerous the virus is for their people. Dr. Fauci in the USA has come out and asked elderly not to travel by plane or cruise at all and likely would have asked everyone if it wasn’t for political pressure. There is nothing bizarre about wanting to cancel travel, what is bizarre are those who want to carry on like normal rather than pause travel for a few weeks to help arrest the spread. Are you beginning to take this more seriously or is it still a nothingburger to you?
RealHJ likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 6:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
At first I could understand your posts because I felt the same during the time after 9/11 and even during SARS. Now I feel you and others in the “I’m going wherever I want whenever I want” camp are being irresponsible. Even if you feel the risk to you personally is small, which it no doubt is. You can transmit this very easily spread virus to someone else who is older or has a compromised immune system even if your only symptom is sniffles.

Not one, but two, major countries have deemed this virus serious enough to shut down parts of their countries and devastate their economy. Presumably they are doing this after looking at how dangerous the virus is for their people. Dr. Fauci in the USA has come out and asked elderly not to travel by plane or cruise at all and likely would have asked everyone if it wasn’t for political pressure. There is nothing bizarre about wanting to cancel travel, what is bizarre are those who want to carry on like normal rather than pause travel for a few weeks to help arrest the spread. Are you beginning to take this more seriously or is it still a nothingburger to you?
I agree thematically with your post, I think the question was around why cancel a flight 4 months out as the situation may change by then (e.g., warmer weather decreases spread or alternatively the virus is so endemic it doesn't really matter where you are / go). To that extent I agree. I would cancel ~2 weeks before departure. That said, I understand some folks may not have as flexible of PTO policies / family plans / travel plans.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 8:15 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by ethernal
I agree thematically with your post, I think the question was around why cancel a flight 4 months out as the situation may change by then (e.g., warmer weather decreases spread or alternatively the virus is so endemic it doesn't really matter where you are / go). To that extent I agree. I would cancel ~2 weeks before departure. That said, I understand some folks may not have as flexible of PTO policies / family plans / travel plans.
The issue is that Delta may not want to let you cancel at that point - if there is any doubt, may be better to cancel now to get miles back, credit, refunds back to the original form of payment, etc
Old Mar 8, 2020, 8:54 pm

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
So now, with the recent state.gov announcement re: cruises, what are the odds that Delta will extend a waiver to include port cities? I was optimistic before I came to this thread, but based on what I’ve read, and the structure of the current waivers, I’m not holding my breath.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:33 am

Booked an award flight for my mom back in July and called to reschedule it from later this month to May. It was miserable, 45 minutes on the phone and no one seemed to know anything about the updated change fee announcements. They quoted 260k miles for something showing 200k online and said if I canceled and rebooked myself I'd have to pay the fee. Guess this is a case where calling back again might help.

Last edited by Jadam; Mar 9, 2020 at 4:52 am
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:20 am

Programs: WN A&cp, SPGplat
point redeposit waiver

Originally Posted by Jens_so
Points were refunded within a hour,,, was told that the taxes and fees will be refunded within 7 days
In case it's useful for anyone, on my TATL points redeposit fee waiver the points took 6 days and the taxes 8 days. So some delay is not cause for worry.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:56 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by ray1111
In case it's useful for anyone, on my TATL points redeposit fee waiver the points took 6 days and the taxes 8 days. So some delay is not cause for worry.
Similar - Delta told me my points would take a "few days" to redeposit - flight was cancelled on Saturday, points haven't been put back as of yet. I will probably wait until later in the week to check again
Old Mar 9, 2020, 9:50 am

Programs: DL
SkyMiles Award Redeposit

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Similar - Delta told me my points would take a "few days" to redeposit - flight was cancelled on Saturday, points haven't been put back as of yet. I will probably wait until later in the week to check again
I have a SkyMiles award ticket on April 11 from JFK to London-Heathrow on Virgin Atlantic (ticked through Delta using SkyMiles). It was purchased in February. Does anyone know if Delta is waiving the redeposit fees? I'm finding that they are waiving change fees, but I can't find anything about redeposits. The callback time at this point is 4 hours! They are clearly slammed!
Old Mar 9, 2020, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by sayle1058
I have a SkyMiles award ticket on April 11 from JFK to London-Heathrow on Virgin Atlantic (ticked through Delta using SkyMiles). It was purchased in February. Does anyone know if Delta is waiving the redeposit fees? I'm finding that they are waiving change fees, but I can't find anything about redeposits. The callback time at this point is 4 hours! They are clearly slammed!
Yeah, Delta seems to be waiving redeposit fees for a wide variety of award tickets, along with refunds of taxes. Just call in and ask.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 10:50 am

Delta Coronavirus: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/E-Credit/Changes to tickets-Consolidated

Since the basic economy flights do not allow changes, are they included in the no fee change for "all" flights booked for travel before Feb. 25, 2021 that is on their website.

I did an online chat and waited for an hour for a rep and tried calling....and got contradicting information from both?
Brendan likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:02 am

Programs: UA Silver, MR titanium
So if I reschedule my flight and the pay if there is increased fare difference, but what if the fare is less money, do I get credit or refund?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:03 am

Yes. Treated like IROPS or a major schedule change.
Brendan likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:21 am

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
Award trip cancel - redeposit fee waived

Data point:

We were to attend the BNP Paribas tennis tournament in Indian Wells which cancelled last night due to public health emergency for the Coachella Valley .

We had an award itin SLC-LAX. I contacted Delta through a twitter DM and was able to cancel, redeposit the points and
had the $150 per ticket redeposit fee waived due to Covids-19. Lowly gold medallion here so no free redeposit of miles/ points under normal circumstances. I don't recall the policy for close in award trip cancellation but it was not a factor this time.

Thanks Delta twitter team for a painless, easy resolution !

Jim
Adelphos and SLCEO like this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by jimquan
Data point:

We were to attend the BNP Paribas tennis tournament in Indian Wells which cancelled last night due to public health emergency for the Coachella Valley .

We had an award itin SLC-LAX. I contacted Delta through a twitter DM and was able to cancel, redeposit the points and
had the $150 per ticket redeposit fee waived due to Covids-19. Lowly gold medallion here so no free redeposit of miles/ points under normal circumstances. I don't recall the policy for close in award trip cancellation but it was not a factor this time.

Thanks Delta twitter team for a painless, easy resolution !

Jim
Delta seems to be doing a really good job by its customers here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.