Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2020, 8:28 pm

Delta allowed me to cancel award tickets to FCO without redeposit fee. The tickets were booked in 08/2019 for travel on 07/2020. Again, Delta rocks!
Old Mar 8, 2020, 6:08 am

Has anyone had any luck with being able to reschedule flights to Europe (for trip originally booked prior to Mar 1, 2020) and do it outside the 12 month window of original ticket date that DL imposes? Asking because if things don’t improve in a couple months, we will need to reschedule our flights. The problem is we cannot reschedule within 12 months from original booking date of 2/1/2020 since rebooking would be for the same summer travel plan but would just delay until summer of 2021. Otherwise, between work and weather...we are not able to and don’t have the desire to travel this fall and into the winter.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 7:58 am

Programs: Delta PM, AA PlatPro
Originally Posted by asdfghjk
Delta allowed me to cancel award tickets to FCO without redeposit fee. The tickets were booked in 08/2019 for travel on 07/2020. Again, Delta rocks!
Delta is great... but, I really wonder why they are letting people cancel trips to Europe... in four months.

And, I'm wondering WHY people are canceling
I genuinely don't understand the panic / run off the cliff herd mentality here.
It's.... just.... bizarre.....
pgh234 and The Situation like this.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX
Delta is great... but, I really wonder why they are letting people cancel trips to Europe... in four months.

The current medical recommendation for dealing with coronavirus is reducing contact with others. This ranges from recommending keeping a distance from others to locking down entire regions. Flying and travel generally would seem to cause increased contact.

Reportedly, the CDC wanted to recommend that seniors and others at risk not fly. https://apnews.com/921ad7f1f08d7634bf681ba785faf269
asdfghjk likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 8:36 am

With both of us working and the kids in school, we always have to plan our vacations 6+ months ahead. We do not want uncertainties in our vacation plans.
With the current coronavirus status in Europe, who knows what will happen next month or 4?
​​​​​​​Now that the Europe trip is cancelled, we can make other plans for the summer.
​​
Old Mar 8, 2020, 8:44 am

Programs: DL DM

Exactly. It’s great Delta is allowing the flexibility, however four months out is perhaps too generous IMO. We have a trip to FCO/VCE in late July and will not be evaluating a cancellation or rebooking until June. It’s just way too soon to tell. People need to calm down. Granted neither of us are “at-risk” travelers.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by SLCEO
So we just canceled a trip into an area that has had cases of the virus in Europe. It was on miles, so no big deal. However, since we have the time blocked, we might consider taking a last minute trip in the states....but Delta still has all their advance fare discipline in place, so last minute fares are priced sky high. If they had last minute fare deals, we might consider something. Just seems to me with flights half empty they might think about considering that...
It could also be - in an environment where people have health concerns price is less of a motivator, so keep the price high for those who still feel compelled to fly for biz

But we have no info to say that's more or less likely the reason than pricing is simply out whack
Old Mar 8, 2020, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman
So have a flight next week for a cruise that we had scheduled way back in 2019 so it is outside of the travel waivers DL is offering now but we plan on going on the cruise anyway. If for any reason would a "trip in vain" apply if the cruise is cancelled? Not sure how trip in vain works or if it is only for "business" type of issues. TIA!
Normally trip in vain applies when DL IROPs cause you to arrive at the destination so late that you would miss an important meeting or special event. For a cruise, an example would be that a delay or flight cancellation by DL would cause you to miss the boat on a transoceanic sailing with no intermediate stops where you could board the ship.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 11:12 am

I fully expect to be SOL on $$$ spent. I'm scheduled to fly JFK-MEL (via LAX and BNE outbound, via LAX only on return), DL metal JFK-LAX and the rest on VA metal booked via Delta. Leaving 6 Apr, return 12 Apr. Travel is for a wedding (plus a footy game). Booked in January. The way things are going both may well be postponed (or in the case of the latter closed to spectators).

Even if Delta extends its waiver/rebook policy to these April flights, as they well may, limiting rebookings to the next couple of months (as they are now with international travel scheduled in March) would knock me out -- as even for leisure I will not be able to travel that far until September due to work.

Maybe they'll be more generous -- but not counting on it unless the flights themselves are canceled, and maybe not even then.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 12:32 pm

Just called DL to cancel a trip scheduled for two weeks from now because the event I was traveling to was cancelled due to the Coronavirus outbreak. Without hesitation, the rep refunded to a credit. He said that the eCredit will be show up as being applied less the $200 cancellation fee but that if I call to use the credit at a later date, they will waive the cancellation fee by phone. Credit showed up almost instantly on my account for the ticket price less $200.

... we'll see how much fun I have trying to redeem for the full value at a later date.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by tardyturtle
Just called DL to cancel a trip scheduled for two weeks from now because the event I was traveling to was cancelled due to the Coronavirus outbreak. Without hesitation, the rep refunded to a credit. He said that the eCredit will be show up as being applied less the $200 cancellation fee but that if I call to use the credit at a later date, they will waive the cancellation fee by phone. Credit showed up almost instantly on my account for the ticket price less $200.

... we'll see how much fun I have trying to redeem for the full value at a later date.
How long is the credit good for? A year from original purchase, a year from today, something else?
Old Mar 8, 2020, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive

What happens when the ticket value is less than $200? The credit appears as a negative value then?
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ
What happens when the ticket value is less than $200? The credit appears as a negative value then?
Good question--I'm not sure. It shows up as "Unused eTicket". I was just surprised that they didn't adjust the value now and leave it to later to do. We'll see if a promise made is a promise kept when I try to redeem.
Originally Posted by richarddd
How long is the credit good for? A year from original purchase, a year from today, something else?
Travel must take place within one year of original purchase. It is nontransferable and can only be used for travel by the original passenger. My wife and I were taking the trip together so each of us has one in our eWallet.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Good question--I'm not sure. It shows up as "Unused eTicket". I was just surprised that they didn't adjust the value now and leave it to later to do. We'll see if a promise made is a promise kept when I try to redeem.
As it needs a manual waiver it'll be only redeemable by phone, DL is surely counting on many pax giving up and having the unused ticket expire unused, due to the hassle - hours upon hours of long hold time, and then a chance of a less-than-competent agent - of redeeming it. Expect the current hours long wait times to continue for many months after this, due to DL calculated decision to handle the credits this way, vs. simply issuing refunds or ECVs that can be used online.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
When I have done credits, I thought they usually show the ticket balance without the fee charged against it. They took the fee later when I went to use it, as I remember.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.