Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2020, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
$150 per ticket. Not sure what this has to do with the new Sticky.
thanks. Not terrible given the amount of miles that I redeemed.

Was not sure which was the appropriate thread...operational issues or waivers...seemed like waivers was a better fit but could be wrong. This cancel would be if Olympics in Japan we cancelled due to Coronavirus but DL was still flying there. Should have mentioned that.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 8:33 pm
Suspended

Can someone explain to me why airlines are waiving tickets booked now and not those booked months ago when this virus wasn't even a thing?
Old Mar 1, 2020, 8:41 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by FlyEndeavorAir
Can someone explain to me why airlines are waiving tickets booked now and not those booked months ago when this virus wasn't even a thing?
It's to promote sales. The theory is that if you are on the edge about booking the waiver puts you at ease should your plans change. And the fact that it is for a limited time drives you to take action. It is kind of taking advantage of a crisis...

DL may or may not decide that they need to. It is interesting that the domestic airlines like AS and B6 are hurting because of this -- you would think the airlines that fly TATL and TPAC would feel more of an impact.
BenA, acrophobia and FlyDeltaMD88 like this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 10:12 pm

Programs: Alaska Airline
Question Canceling my Vegas trip for next weekend

My wife and I booked award tickets from Seattle to Vegas, and wanted to cancel it. I was told by Delta customer rep that unless we get notice or diagnosis from the doctor, we are unable to cancel the tickets and redeposit my Delta points without paying $150 fee.

Any recommendations?
Old Mar 1, 2020, 10:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Pay the fee if you want the miles back?
bubbashow likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 10:18 pm

Programs: Alaska Airline
Nah, I don't know I want to pay $300 for 44,000 miles.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 10:35 pm

Programs: The usual suspects
I thought the policy was "no refunds" even if you have a note from the doctor, though I am surprised that with the apparent growth in "community spread" cases of Covid-19 in the PNW, that Delta would want sick people on their planes out of SEA. But not that surprised.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 11:12 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by airforjoey
My wife and I booked award tickets from Seattle to Vegas, and wanted to cancel it. I was told by Delta customer rep that unless we get notice or diagnosis from the doctor, we are unable to cancel the tickets and redeposit my Delta points without paying $150 fee.

Any recommendations?
1) show up at airport with a fever, cough, and/or face mask (to prevent infecting others)
2) let the gate agent deem you unfit to travel
3) get refund

​​​​​
Old Mar 1, 2020, 11:19 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by expert7700
3) get refund​​​​​
Will airlines refund if they deny boarding for physical unfitness?
Old Mar 2, 2020, 4:48 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by expert7700
1) show up at airport with a fever, cough, and/or face mask (to prevent infecting others)
2) let the gate agent deem you unfit to travel
3) get refund

​​​​​
Wow, lying about being sick because someone wants to get out of paying a change fee for a weekend trip. Might as well say you were diagnosed with cancer and had a miscarriage too. If you want to really cancel due to the media hysteria over this flu... wouldn't you want to get away from Seattle where there are confirmed cases?
kthomas likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 6:14 am

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
Jet Blue and American now offering system-wide waivers of various kinds; American's seems a little more gimmicky than Jet Blue's. Hopefully Delta will come up with something that will be clear and customer-friendly. They need to encourage us to continue to book travel while understanding that, for a period of time measured in months, not weeks, we will have a large number of reasons to rebook or cancel that cannot be considered in a set of typical airline rules. The different situations are coming out of the woodwork now as folks here describe their individual situations: old tickets, new tickets, one change vs. several, fears at various destinations and origins, sickness, upgrades, status, miles -- everything. We need a broad relaxation of rules to keep us buying tickets and to hold on to still-sensible arrangements we already have in place.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 6:53 am
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
This is from the wiki in the corresponding American Airlines thread:
AA agents have occasionally allowed passengers with booked travel wishing to cancel because of Coronavirus concerns to cancel without fees, tu this is not AA official policy. Possible reasons:

Events, meetings, etc. you were to attend have been cancelled due to Coronavirus concerns, so your trip would be in vain.
Does anyone have any experience with Delta in the same type of situation?
I'm scheduled to fly to Germany in two weeks to attend a trade fair, but the fair was cancelled this past weekend.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 7:03 am
Suspended

Cancelled my flight yesterday but the credit voucher is nowhere to be found in my account?? Entering the former ticket number gives an error.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 7:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by airforjoey

Any recommendations?
We are taking a family trip to LV next week and are not canceling. No reported cases there. And inbound international travel is limited. What are your concerns about being there as opposed to Seattle?
Old Mar 2, 2020, 8:46 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Delta really should match what AA/B6/AS are offering. I am waiting to book multiple trips now because I know as soon as I do, they will start offering free changes for new reservations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.