Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2020, 4:23 pm

I had a (miles) reservation for June. I knew that Delta may have cancelled the flight, but never got an email notification. Was waiting until closer to date to potentially change, checking every few days to see if I was auto-rebooked.

Today my reservation is gone. Doesn't show up in MyTrips. PNR doesn't work, ticket number doesn't work. No miles have been redeposited, let alone any cash refunded or showing up as e-credit.

Is this normal part of the process and everything will automatically credit in a few days? Or do I need to call them to actually get my miles back?
Old May 13, 2020, 1:32 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Delta Platinum, ST Elite+
Originally Posted by adventureadam
I had a (miles) reservation for June. I knew that Delta may have cancelled the flight, but never got an email notification. Was waiting until closer to date to potentially change, checking every few days to see if I was auto-rebooked.

Today my reservation is gone. Doesn't show up in MyTrips. PNR doesn't work, ticket number doesn't work. No miles have been redeposited, let alone any cash refunded or showing up as e-credit.

Is this normal part of the process and everything will automatically credit in a few days? Or do I need to call them to actually get my miles back?
I came here to ask the same. I had a change on a reservation Sunday and was on hold for 7 1/2 hours. While I was on hold, one leg of a trip to France was canceled. The agent was able to get both sorted on the phone and I was immediately refunded the cost of a seat upgrade and then bought that same seat again on the new flight.

Tonight, both legs of my France trip just disappeared and the confirmation number isn't recognized, but no notice and no ecredits. BUT both flights are still available for booking online and my seats I paid for are open now. ...?! I'm currently on hold again, but I'll fall asleep before I hit 7.5 hours again. This trip was June 28-July 13. Why would my flights just disappear, but still be available to book?? I'm so frustrated with this. This is my second canceled trip in 1 month..
Old May 13, 2020, 11:33 am

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
My questions is the following:

International Skymiles Itinerary cancelled, but still available for booking with different routing for 3 times the amount of miles.
Should DL accommodate new routing for the same amount of miles as original ticket ?
Old May 13, 2020, 11:52 am

I had 1 of mine extend automatically but the other 3 didnt so I messaged them and they said they submitted a request to get them extended and in 3 days they all showed extended by 6 months.
Old May 13, 2020, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by cemlaw
I came here to ask the same. I had a change on a reservation Sunday and was on hold for 7 1/2 hours. While I was on hold, one leg of a trip to France was canceled. The agent was able to get both sorted on the phone and I was immediately refunded the cost of a seat upgrade and then bought that same seat again on the new flight.

Tonight, both legs of my France trip just disappeared and the confirmation number isn't recognized, but no notice and no ecredits. BUT both flights are still available for booking online and my seats I paid for are open now. ...?! I'm currently on hold again, but I'll fall asleep before I hit 7.5 hours again. This trip was June 28-July 13. Why would my flights just disappear, but still be available to book?? I'm so frustrated with this. This is my second canceled trip in 1 month..
Update: This time I waited on hold only 3.5 hours. I gave the agent my confirmation number that Delta said didn't exist and told her both flights were still available for booking on Delta and Air France. After about 20 mins on hold w her, she said it was an "IT deletion," and neither she nor her supervisor could see why the flights were deleted. I asked her to explain what that meant, and she really couldn't. Again she said "someone on the IT side" had deleted the reservation for reasons she couldn't understand. She immediately reinstated the reservation (same confirmation number), and it immediately popped back up under My Trips. She said she had booked it "from the Air France side" so it wouldn't happen again. Even my seat upgrades were there. This morning, I had an email that my trip had been canceled and I had an ecredit. When I logged in via laptop and the app, all 6 trips were still there and I didn't have any new ecredits.

What is happening?! A random employee decided to randomly delete my reservation?! I'm always very polite and kind when I call and have had great results when I do manage to get someone on the phone. I'm completely flabbergasted.
Old May 13, 2020, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL DM
Posting a datapoint from a call this afternoon:

I called the PM line to cancel and refund a mid June trip. Once speaking with an agent she promptly cancelled the reservation with no issue and happily processed the refund. Without me asking she manually processed the refund instead of running it through the "auto form." My experience with the form about 6 weeks ago was that some tickets would be refunded properly, while others would be stuck in limbo causing one to have to call in. I can tell she manually approved the refund today as I received the refund confirmation email with my Amex info for it to go back on. She said the refund should post within 7 days (that's the magic DOT number) but based on past experience it should post within 2-3 days. Very happy with my call today.

So, the moral here is when calling for a refund, hope the agent manually processes it. This should save weeks of processing time hoping the computer does it correctly.

I did joke with the agent asking if all she was doing is refunds, and she did say that more and more people are calling to book (which is a good sign) or they were trying to get people rebooked from the mess of the June schedule. She did apologize for the horrendous auto-rebooking that had happened on the reservation I cancelled.
Old May 13, 2020, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by cemlaw
Update: This time I waited on hold only 3.5 hours. I gave the agent my confirmation number that Delta said didn't exist and told her both flights were still available for booking on Delta and Air France. After about 20 mins on hold w her, she said it was an "IT deletion," and neither she nor her supervisor could see why the flights were deleted. I asked her to explain what that meant, and she really couldn't. Again she said "someone on the IT side" had deleted the reservation for reasons she couldn't understand. She immediately reinstated the reservation (same confirmation number), and it immediately popped back up under My Trips. She said she had booked it "from the Air France side" so it wouldn't happen again. Even my seat upgrades were there. This morning, I had an email that my trip had been canceled and I had an ecredit. When I logged in via laptop and the app, all 6 trips were still there and I didn't have any new ecredits.

What is happening?! A random employee decided to randomly delete my reservation?! I'm always very polite and kind when I call and have had great results when I do manage to get someone on the phone. I'm completely flabbergasted.
Great. I'm currently on hour 4+ of waiting. Understand these are nuts times, but not a fan of having a reservation completely disappear from the system and not at least getting a refund of my substantial amount of miles.
Old May 13, 2020, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Originally Posted by Travelomania
My questions is the following:

International Skymiles Itinerary cancelled, but still available for booking with different routing for 3 times the amount of miles.
Should DL accommodate new routing for the same amount of miles as original ticket ?
Update:

As a DM I had easy access to an agent, who was able to "even-exchange" and move the itinerary to 14 days later. The slightly different routing requires now 185,000 miles instead of the 50K that I used for the original routing of PDX-SLC-AMS-GVA ret.
Re-issue took about 30 minutes.
Flights to Europe are getting more expensive by the day, I'm afraid.
Old May 13, 2020, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by adventureadam
Great. I'm currently on hour 4+ of waiting. Understand these are nuts times, but not a fan of having a reservation completely disappear from the system and not at least getting a refund of my substantial amount of miles.
My 7.5 hours wait was overnight- Sunday to Monday. Last night/this morning I called around 2 am and actually fell asleep! Can't believe I woke up when the agent came on. Time of day doesn't seem to matter. I didn't get the call back option either time.
I'll be very curious to hear if you get the same excuse of an "IT deletion." Is yours an international flight? My fear now is France will make a July 1 open date, and I'll have another 7.5 hours wait to move my flight from June 28 to July 1.
Old May 13, 2020, 4:10 pm

Is Delta Allowing Free Changes With No Fare Differences?

I booked an upcoming flight JFK-LAS and want to move it to another date. When I called to do so, I was told the change fee would be waived but there's a fare difference.

However on Delta's site I see this: •You can rebook your trip to the same destination for travel departing before  September 30, 2020, with no difference in fare applied.

Has anyone had success getting Delta to change flights without fare differences. When I try to change online it also asks for a fare difference.

For context, my flight hasn't been cancelled yet.
Old May 13, 2020, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
My experience has been no change fees but yes on difference in fare.
Old May 13, 2020, 4:44 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
I have a flight cancel,
I delay the departure date (from 14 June to 12 July), the price difference is HUGE (more than double).
But, because my flight is cancel, I did not pay any fare difference (I must add it is NO more available flight in June).
I think if you want to change your date, fare difference apply.
If the flight is cancel and you change the date (same "pattern"), they did not apply any fare difference.
Old May 13, 2020, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
the key point is whether it's an involuntary change vs a voluntary change -- if Delta cancels your booked flight, they can't legally charge the fare difference to rebook you on an essentially equivalent itinerary (and you probably have some negotiating room as to what constitutes "essentially equivalent" in terms of date, nearby alternative airport, etc) ... if you request the change, you have to pay the fare difference
MSPeconomist and GagaPilot like this.
Old May 13, 2020, 4:59 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Originally Posted by WScottsdaleInsider
I booked an upcoming flight JFK-LAS and want to move it to another date. When I called to do so, I was told the change fee would be waived but there's a fare difference.

However on Delta's site I see this: •You can rebook your trip to the same destination for travel departing before  September 30, 2020, with no difference in fare applied.

Has anyone had success getting Delta to change flights without fare differences. When I try to change online it also asks for a fare difference.

For context, my flight hasn't been cancelled yet.
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
My experience has been no change fees but yes on difference in fare.
Originally Posted by jrl767
the key point is whether it's an involuntary change vs a voluntary change -- if Delta cancels your booked flight, they can't legally charge the fare difference to rebook you on an essentially equivalent itinerary (and you probably have some negotiating room as to what constitutes "essentially equivalent" in terms of date, nearby alternative airport, etc) ... if you request the change, you have to pay the fare difference
I find Delta a "little" more picky in what they are ready to do.
On my side they accept only a date change without fare difference (on a flights cancel by them).
Before they are more "flexible".
Old May 13, 2020, 5:30 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
There was a post on the DM FB group yesterday citing problems with itinerary changes that involve partner travel -- paraphrasing/summarizing, the initial suggestion was that DL sends the new over but the other airline system rejects it.

It was then updated to say that if the rebooked itinerary involves an oversold segment then the system is cancelling the ticket entirely and without notification.

If true (Idunno, just passing this on), that might explain some of the reports here (and with the updated info it might not even have to involve a partner flight)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.