Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asked to lower shade

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by El Boocho
correct. However, aside from the side argument going on, I don't see any reason for this to be locked. Threads like this are good IMO. Some people don't understand social or cultural norms, others don't have the capacity for empathy or the experience to know when to apply it, some are just jerks and don't care. Once upon a time I probably would have said I paid the same or more than they guy next to me, so why should I give up the armrest to the sucker in the middle. Be it life experience or threads like this, I now get it. Not because I am inherently a jerk (or so I think), but because empathy comes hard to me, even when I am trying.
Thank you!
Old Nov 20, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by theboss7593
...Oddly enough 5 minutes later he got the rubber earpiece from the AA headphones stuck in his ear and a doctor had to be called up to remove it. What an interesting turn of events....
Please please please tell us you have a video of that?
Old Nov 20, 2019, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I have been on hundreds of flight and other than to lower shades on the ground for heat reasons I have never been asked that. WELL I am currently on AA243 4:45PM ET 777 B/E aircraft and the flight attendant came over and asked me if If I could lower my shade because the man next to me in 1-2-1 configuration asked me if I could lower my shade. I said to her I can't look out the window? and she replied it's just what he asked. I am in a Eastbound facing window seat and the sun is setting to the west currently so there is zero glare. I lowered it 1/2 way to make a compromise but that's it. I like looking out the window and heck as others have mentioned I have the window seat. Oddly enough 5 minutes later he got the rubber earpiece from the AA headphones stuck in his ear and a doctor had to be called up to remove it. What an interesting turn of events. On top of that Took the wifi about an hour to get crankin but par for the course with that
AA243 is what, 3 hours long? I find this ridiculous. This despite my view of no one passenger controls the shade. There's no real chance to sleep. A quick nap maybe, but no meaningful sleep.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Regardless of the politics of open vs closed shades, I can't believe the flight attendant would suggest a confrontation like that between two pax. That most likely doesn't end well. I would report this behavior. I can't imagine this is something DL would want an FA doing.
altabello and WillBarrett_68 like this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 4:43 pm

This falls under the category of courtesy really... if the rest of the plane is dark and people have adjusted to the ambient light in the cabin it's rather rude to let in a lot of light through the window, I love watching the scenery sometimes as well but understand the compromise, I will lower the shade such that the amount of light coming is minimal but I can also see something. It's not been a problem and nobody has complained so far - I feel they understand the situation, most people are reasonable but there may be some that aren't.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Not to flame or anything but if a crew member asks you to do something, are you not required by law to do so? How far does that law go? I would be inclined to contest that request personally and feel much like the OP.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 4:57 pm

On a very basic level I view this as similar to seat recline or changing seats (i.e. your right, with some consideration for courtesy), however it is for sure NOT your job to tell the other passenger. If that were the case, the FA should have refused to communicate the request from the other passenger to you and told them to ask you.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 5:16 pm

I have not done an international flight yet but have been switching from F aisle to F window (bulkhead mostly) because all the shades down bother me. Claustrophobic and motion sickness is aggravated without seeing the outside world. Claustrophobic is why I gave up and just buy F every flight with lower people per square foot in first. So on my fljghts there will be one shade open and outside sun glaring in someone's face I will leave it open. If FA tells me to lower it I will state my case and we can work it out on the ground.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
I have been on hundreds of flight and other than to lower shades on the ground for heat reasons I have never been asked that. WELL I am currently on AA243 4:45PM ET 777 B/E aircraft and the flight attendant came over and asked me if If I could lower my shade because the man next to me in 1-2-1 configuration asked me if I could lower my shade. I said to her I can't look out the window? and she replied it's just what he asked. I am in a Eastbound facing window seat and the sun is setting to the west currently so there is zero glare. I lowered it 1/2 way to make a compromise but that's it. I like looking out the window and heck as others have mentioned I have the window seat. Oddly enough 5 minutes later he got the rubber earpiece from the AA headphones stuck in his ear and a doctor had to be called up to remove it. What an interesting turn of events. On top of that Took the wifi about an hour to get crankin but par for the course with that
This excuse for a human being needs to either 1) order a window seat, 2) get a set of balls/spine, or 3) buy an eye mask (like 10000000 people own).
I've chosen #2 and #3 . And my flights are happy.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Jon_R
I have not done an international flight yet but have been switching from F aisle to F window (bulkhead mostly) because all the shades down bother me. Claustrophobic and motion sickness is aggravated without seeing the outside world. Claustrophobic is why I gave up and just buy F every flight with lower people per square foot in first. So on my fljghts there will be one shade open and outside sun glaring in someone's face I will leave it open. If FA tells me to lower it I will state my case and we can work it out on the ground.
If they tell you (versus asking) and you refuse, all the working it out on the ground will entail is the cops arresting you. Even if you know you're right about something, you do it in the air, then complain on the ground.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by cayohueso
Not to flame or anything but if a crew member asks you to do something, are you not required by law to do so? How far does that law go? I would be inclined to contest that request personally and feel much like the OP.
No.
You are confusing law with a request of a business/corporate entity.
There are mitigating circumstances (like I have a 504, which requires shades open), or peanut allergy (now I'm stretching, I know).
But again, corporate things.
Which, as a for-profit company, Delta is and does.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by cayohueso
If they order you, then you must do it. If they ask you, you're free to ignore. Of course they then may decide to order you to do it.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by pbfoot
On a very basic level I view this as similar to seat recline or changing seats (i.e. your right, with some consideration for courtesy), however it is for sure NOT your job to tell the other passenger. If that were the case, the FA should have refused to communicate the request from the other passenger to you and told them to ask you.
Disagree. I can put an eye mask on, sun gone.
I can't remove a seat back 8" from my face as easy.
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
If they order you, then you must do it. If they ask you, you're free to ignore. Of course they then may decide to order you to do it.
ADA compliance, bro. Checkmate.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by lindros2
No.
You are confusing law with a request of a business/corporate entity.
There are mitigating circumstances (like I have a 504, which requires shades open), or peanut allergy (now I'm stretching, I know).
But again, corporate things.
Which, as a for-profit company, Delta is and does.
You're ignoring FAA/DOT rules. You are required to comply with all crew instructions. It doesn't matter how trivial the order/instruction is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.