Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asked to lower shade

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2019, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
I feel the passenger asking you to lower the window shade was unreasonable, and they were DEFINITELY out of line by getting the flight attendant involved.
I'm not so sure about the "definitely out of line" part.
Perhaps (given some incidents where someone asks for something and a fight ensues), the person asked the FA to avoid a potential confrontation? (Although I'm sure the requestor had no idea that the FA would then spill the beans and try to have direct passenger-to-passenger communication at that point).
Old Nov 20, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
This is what I would call a no win situation,
if you dont lower the shades, you are seen as being selfish,
if you lower the shade, you are missing out on some beautiful sights

(there are reasons, why we have windows on planes.. one of them is to look out of them)
Old Nov 20, 2019, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by fotographer
This is what I would call a no win situation,
if you dont lower the shades, you are seen as being selfish,
if you lower the shade, you are missing out on some beautiful sights

(there are reasons, why we have windows on planes.. one of them is to look out of them)
nah, just say no and whatever other people think is their problem. Leaving the window up if you're actually using it = win.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
nah, just say no and whatever other people think is their problem. Leaving the window up if you're actually using it = win.
so true for some of us that can just say no, but I have a feeling, that quite a few passengers would feel off, if told by a FA to lower the shade, and would not want to cause a scene.
(remember FA's today, have an amazing amount of power to ruin your life)
Old Nov 20, 2019, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
This is why more and more, FA simply tell you to close it. It's a mass transport of multiple people, the majority of which usually prefer to sleep on flights like this. If its that important, I'm going to use a phrase I hate, fly private. Otherwise you don't control the shade, the FA does, who usually goes with satisfying the majority of the cabin.

Regardless, telling you to confront the passenger was majorly inappropriate. This is almost akin to saying "Fight" (think of Mortal Combat tone).
Old Nov 20, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
I def prefer sitting in aisle seat, so I seldom control the shade. And I am frequently annoyed when a pax leaves the shade up, interfering with me being able to see the screen because of the glare.

HOWEVER…

The pax at the window gets to control the shade. Although it inconveniences me personally, I recognize that fact. If I wanted to control the shade, I should have selected a window seat.
SDQBound and HDQDD like this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Score8
Yes, this is a constant debate. One thing that isn't often discussed, though, is when the sun is beaming into other passenger's faces, but yet doesn't affect the person on the window. A few times recently, I was getting killed by the glare from the other side of the aisle and there was virtually nothing that could be done about it. Typically, if the shade is lowered to half-way, the glare is eliminated but the person can still see what they want to see or they can still get some natural light.
Reminds me of a flight I was on last December, in D1 in old 777 layout (where the seats angled out into the aisle. I was in the right side window seat and the pax in the opposite window a row ahead of mine had his reading light angled dead in my eyes for hours. Annoyed but didn’t say anything. I wasn’t sure what my rights were, same as when gaspers from across the aisle isle hit me dead on ( I find it really difficult to stAy warm when flying).

As for the debate. I’m 99% aisle and concede control to the window pax. If I’m in the window unless is nighttime my shades are down until we are close to landing. I think it’s inconsiderate to have the shades up - but there’s always that one guy.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: AS 75K
In my younger years I waited tables at a restaurant set on the water with a fabulous city view. In the afternoons the sun would come beaming in and I'd constantly get pulled in all different directions with people wanting it closed and others wanting the view. Definitely a no-win situation. I generally agree though that as the paying guest you shouldn't have to confront other passengers. That's what FAs get paid for and what you are paying for. And I think as the occupant of the window seat you are in control unless it is movie time or there is some other obvious reason to lower it.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
I think if the FA asked me to tell the other passenger why it is that I want to leave the shade open; well, there is always the possibility that that might backfire on the FA and I might come unglued and assault the other passenger.

Not really, of course. But I do always sit by the window and I do like to watch out the window; if its cloudy and there is nothing to see I like to sit and read so I need the daylight. If the sun is shining in, I do notice it and make sure its not shining directly on someone. But sorry, no, I am not closing the shade all the way.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by ecaarch
I def prefer sitting in aisle seat, so I seldom control the shade. And I am frequently annoyed when a pax leaves the shade up, interfering with me being able to see the screen because of the glare.

HOWEVER…

The pax at the window gets to control the shade. Although it inconveniences me personally, I recognize that fact. If I wanted to control the shade, I should have selected a window seat.
Me too. If they aren’t actively staring out the window, I don’t think asking them to close it half way is inappropriate. If they refuse, that’s fine. I can guarantee I will take my sweet time when they want to get up for the restroom. Chances are I have my computer out and other materials and head phones and they will all need to slowly and carefully be put away. Probably take me a good 3-5 minutes. Passive-aggressive, yes, but at least a little fun to watch them turn red and squirm. This may sound weird, but I will sometimes choose the row with a missing window just to assuage this issue

Without a doubt though, the armrest question is clear. Both go the person in the middle.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
it could have been avoided if the FA didn't press the issue. It's absurd that you accuse the OP of "contradictions" about avoiding confrontation when the FA brought the confrontation to the OP.
Except that's not what I said. I simply quoted various points of the post as they appeared to contradict each other. If the sun is shining in another passenger's eyes and said passenger then asks a FA to ask that other person to please lower their shade, how is that "bringing confrontation" to the passenger? If people just did as instructed by the FA there would be far fewer problems on flights.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by xiphoid76
He said I would have to tell that to the passenger who complained.
I'd be reporting this specific part of the story to customer service. It is absolutely not your responsibility to explain yourself.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by Jeremy3292
Except that's not what I said. I simply quoted various points of the post as they appeared to contradict each other. If the sun is shining in another passenger's eyes and said passenger then asks a FA to ask that other person to please lower their shade, how is that "bringing confrontation" to the passenger? If people just did as instructed by the FA there would be far fewer problems on flights.
In the OP no reason is given why the other pax wanted the window shade closed. FA insisting window pax speak to the other pax to deliver the decision that “I’m actively using the window and will not lower it until we get past Greenland” is inviting confrontation. And honestly a complaint should be filed regarding how the FA handled the situation.
WillBarrett_68 likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by ecaarch

HOWEVER…

i saw popcorn a few articles above ... to feed that path...

As an aisle seater, do you control access to the aisle?

You wanna go to the restroom? You gotta lower that shade first
Old Nov 20, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by emma dog
Ibtl 🍿
Ok I'm sorry. I dont see LBTL in the glossary and I googled it and get Live Below the Line, Land Between the Lakes, and Laguna Banyan Tree Limited. If it's IBTI I get the International Bible Training Institute and the Iowa Biofuels Training Institute.

Help me Obi Wan, you're my only hope.
Silver Fox likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.