Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asked to lower shade

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2019, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Jeremy3292
Correct. However, you cannot assume the reasoning the passenger complained. It could have been for a legitimate reason, such as the sun shining in his eyes; it could have not been for a legitimate reason.
I didn't assume anything about the passenger's complaint. If it were a legitimate reason (and we KNOW in this case that it's NOT "sun shining in his eyes" as already discussed) the FA wouldn't have blown it off with the "well you need to talk to the other passenger" thing. The FA was clearly just passing a request - any other story doesn't pass the sniff test at all.

Regardless, the passenger refused to comply with all crew member instructions, a violation of FAA rules (they literally announce this at the beginning of every flight).

Therefore, the passenger invited confrontation by not complying with the crew member instructions.
It clearly wasn't an order - again, the fact that the FA tried to withdraw from the interaction by telling OP to talk directly to the complainer shows this.

This bootlicking "FAA rules" thing is laughable.

A passenger does not get to decide what is an erroneous crew member instruction and what is a legitimate crew member instruction while in the air. A passenger may complain through the proper channels upon landing and deplaning. The only logical exception to this rule would be a crew member asking a passenger to do something that is clearly a violation of law or statute.
Again, the fact that the FA clearly didn't want anything to do with this interaction undercuts everything you're trying to argue here.

Also if you really are that concerned about safety, then you should be putting the blame on the FA here for undermining FA authority by abusing it for purposes that do not directly relate to passenger safety.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 10:21 am

I don't disagree with your argument(s) as a general point. I am only saying you don't know the reason the shade was asked to be lowered. You are making an assumption that it was a ridiculous request by another passenger without any evidence to support it.
you're doing the opposite. Given the information we have the most likely explanation is that it was a frivolous request. To suggest otherwise means that YOU need to shoulder the burden of proof. Where is the evidence that this was anything OTHER than a frivolous request?
Old Nov 21, 2019, 10:22 am

A little less "me" and a little more "us" goes a long way in this world, from all parties involved.
weird how you don't have any of this condescending prattle for the complainer.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
No headline would be "Passenger fails to follow crew instructions. Now face jail time for failing to close shade."
I guess you haven't been paying attention. The press always likes to find a bully, the public in general hates the miserable treatment they get on airlines and they see the corporations as bullies. These stories always, always make the airline the bad guy.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 10:27 am

Goes back to my comment on flying private. If the majority of the cabin is wanting light, let there be light. If they want darkness, let there be darkness. My whole point was that on non-private transportation one passenger shouldn't control the outcome for everyone.
ah yes real time voting

give me a break, you obviously haven't thought this out, in reality what happens is one loudmouth makes a stink and everyone else just rolls over because nobody liked dealing with a tantrum-throwing blowhard
Global321 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 10:28 am

If they refuse, and the FA insists yes there will be a problem. Maybe take an Aviation Law class or read up on some of the precedent forming court cases. Literally failing to follow an order for any reason can result in FAA going after you. There's a reason the announcement they make says failing to comply with all (not some, or only those you feel should be) crew member instructions, lighted signs and posted placards.
Wrong again.

The FAA has NOTHING to do with prosecuting flyers. As a pilot and former ATC I can assure I know the regs pretty well.
The FAA could investigate a power-tripping FA for creating a safety issue by ordering a passenger to do something that is completely not related to the safe operation of the aircraft.

There is NOTHING in any reg that supports a FA ordering a passenger to lower a window shade. Nothing.

I would love to see the FA try and write that one up or call for the police... "Female passenger failed to comply with my direct stern order to lower her window shade mid-light. Thank God I was there to save the day and prevent a tragedy." The airline would laugh and laugh... and then write the FA up while apologizing to the passenger. The local PD might even issue a citation to the FA... they have better things to do.
FlyingNone likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Google Greenland. Endless numbers of pictures on the internet therefore no need to brighten an otherwise darkened cabin.

Confrontation avoidant? Libra?
Old Nov 21, 2019, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by sleuth
Google Greenland. Endless numbers of pictures on the internet therefore no need to brighten an otherwise darkened cabin.

there is NO substitute for seeing the real thing, even from seven miles above (especially from seven miles above, if you don't expect to actually set foot there)
Old Nov 21, 2019, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by sleuth

Confrontation avoidant? Libra?
you can watch whatever movie you want to see when you land
MikeNYC1 and ExArkie like this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Of course the FA, given what they said to the OP, should have said to the requesting passenger: "you go and tell them to put the shade down". Crap FA based on what's written here.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
THere are lots of threads on it, but as a 'window shade down' guy, I like the 787 due to the crew controlled window shades.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
btw - I was once asked to remove a T-shirt which offended someone (a Muslim person, I believe).
Long story short, I covered it up. But was upset because it was dark at the time, and I hadn't left my seat - covered in a blanket in fact (i had it covered with a sweater while boarding).
My son has a condition - which requires a "504" form - and I appended it to his record after this thread.

but honestly why the F didn't the pax ask the person themselves. That part is rude, entitled, and silly.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jrl767

there is NO substitute for seeing the real thing, even from seven miles above (especially from seven miles above, if you don't expect to actually set foot there)
Ok Boomer.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
If they tell you (versus asking) and you refuse, all the working it out on the ground will entail is the cops arresting you. Even if you know you're right about something, you do it in the air, then complain on the ground.
I would think an airline arresting someone for not putting their window shade down would be a PR nightmare.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 12:15 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
This thread has enjoyed a very spirited discussion, and has finally ran its course. Therefore we will lock this one up.

Ryandc99
Moderator, Delta Air Lines

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.