Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asked to lower shade

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DCAFly
Ok I'm sorry. I dont see LBTL in the glossary and I googled it and get Live Below the Line, Land Between the Lakes, and Laguna Banyan Tree Limited. If it's IBTI I get the International Bible Training Institute and the Iowa Biofuels Training Institute.

Help me Obi Wan, you're my only hope.
Ibtl = "In before the lock"?
Score8, DiverDave and Jeremy3292 like this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
This is why more and more, FA simply tell you to close it. It's a mass transport of multiple people, the majority of which usually prefer to sleep on flights like this. If its that important, I'm going to use a phrase I hate, fly private. Otherwise you don't control the shade, the FA does, who usually goes with satisfying the majority of the cabin.
this "you should do what the FA says" authoritarian bootlicking would be slightly more swallowable if this wasn't a clear cut case of the FA only asking the OP to close it because some random bozo asked the FA to ask the OP. If you really think it's important for people to just unquestioningly follow FA directions then it's EVEN MORE important that FAs don't abuse this by issuing instructions that are not significantly related to safety (as this one CLEARLY was not since the FA was doing nothing more than relaying the request from another passenger - once that was clear then ANY obligation the OP has to follow directions is INSTANTLY eliminated).

"fly private" is a totally dumb argument when it can just as easily be applied to the people who want the shade closed.

Last edited by WillBarrett_68; Nov 20, 2019 at 11:41 am
Old Nov 20, 2019, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Jeremy3292
Except that's not what I said. I simply quoted various points of the post as they appeared to contradict each other.
you absolutely accused the OP of contradicting himself, and you absolutely used his preference for avoiding confrontation as an example of one of those contradictions. we can all scroll up and see what you wrote.

Here, I'll save you the time:

Originally Posted by Jeremy3292
Your statement is full of contradictions. At first you said "no big deal as this happens at times" but then proceeded not to lower the shade. You then said that you are "so confrontation avoidant" but proceeded to argue with the flight attendant.
Anyway...

If the sun is shining in another passenger's eyes and said passenger then asks a FA to ask that other person to please lower their shade, how is that "bringing confrontation" to the passenger?
1) that isn't what happened (the sun couldn't have been shining directly in based on where the passenger was seated and which direction they were traveling in)

2) if it's not confrontational, then your argument that the OP is contradicting himself falls apart. you can't have it both ways.

If people just did as instructed by the FA there would be far fewer problems on flights.
Yes, that's true, but it's not a license for FAs to boss passengers around on every single aspect of their trip. If an FA tried to tell a passenger what to watch and what not to watch on the IFE, that could lead to a confrontation, and that confrontation could be avoided if the passenger would just shut up and do what the FA says to do.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by cre95
i saw popcorn a few articles above ... to feed that path...

As an aisle seater, do you control access to the aisle?

You wanna go to the restroom? You gotta lower that shade first
That violates the sacred commandment of FT:

Aisle seat passengers get free access to the aisle.
Middle seat passengers get both armrests.
Window seat passengers control the window shade.

If you want control of the window shade, book a window seat.

Aisle seat passengers don't get both free access to the aisle AND the right to decide whether the window shade is up or down.

The secondary commandment of FT:

Unless a dog is a seeing eye dog, or a professionally trained ESA, it either goes in the cargo hold, or stays in your backyard while you're gone.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
That violates the sacred commandment of FT:

Aisle seat passengers get free access to the aisle.
Middle seat passengers get both armrests.
Window seat passengers control the window shade.

If you want control of the window shade, book a window seat.

Aisle seat passengers don't get both free access to the aisle AND the right to decide whether the window shade is up or down.

The secondary commandment of FT:

Unless a dog is a seeing eye dog, or a professionally trained ESA, it either goes in the cargo hold, or stays in your backyard while you're gone.
Don’t leave out:

All passengers are free to recline, and if one can’t tolerate a seat to be reclined toward them, book D1 or a bulkhead.
DiverDave, CO-PLAT and Jeremy3292 like this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
1) that isn't what happened (the sun couldn't have been shining directly in based on where the passenger was seated and which direction they were traveling in)
1. If I accept your premise, then we do not know the reason why the shade was asked to be closed.
2. If we do not know why the FA asked for the shade to be closed, then we cannot assume the reason why. Therefore, that leaves us with the following:
3. OP doesn't like confrontation.
4. The FA politely asked you to please close your shade.
5. OP did not comply, thereby inviting confrontation.

What did I miss?
Old Nov 20, 2019, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by MikeNYC1
Don’t leave out:

All passengers are free to recline, and if one can’t tolerate a seat to be reclined toward them, book D1 or a bulkhead.
I recently saw someone in my row aggressively jab the crap out of the seat back IFE and bump the seat in front hard every time they got up. It was clearly in response to the what was deemed unnecessary, and in fact illegal, reclining. I was LMAO (first time I've ever written that acronym, but I really was)
Old Nov 20, 2019, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I would have refused myself.

I prefer aisle seats since I get up a lot, so if I am in a window seat, it's because there are no aisle seats available meaning the passenger in the aisle in my row chose that seat when the window was available. If the aisle passenger wants to control the shade then I'm happy to switch seats to with them.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by KevinSFO
Ibtl = "In before the lock"?
correct. However, aside from the side argument going on, I don't see any reason for this to be locked. Threads like this are good IMO. Some people don't understand social or cultural norms, others don't have the capacity for empathy or the experience to know when to apply it, some are just jerks and don't care. Once upon a time I probably would have said I paid the same or more than they guy next to me, so why should I give up the armrest to the sucker in the middle. Be it life experience or threads like this, I now get it. Not because I am inherently a jerk (or so I think), but because empathy comes hard to me, even when I am trying.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I would have refused myself.

I prefer aisle seats since I get up a lot, so if I am in a window seat, it's because there are no aisle seats available meaning the passenger in the aisle in my row chose that seat when the window was available. If the aisle passenger wants to control the shade then I'm happy to switch seats to with them.
Assumes it is a person in the same row. Based on the OP, it didn't appear to be. That said, if you would rather be in the aisle, this seems like a perfectly good trade. I may use that argument. If in the window seat, I typically close the window, so it would be the flipside
Old Nov 20, 2019, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by El Boocho
correct. However, aside from the side argument going on, I don't see any reason for this to be locked. Threads like this are good IMO. Some people don't understand social or cultural norms, others don't have the capacity for empathy or the experience to know when to apply it, some are just jerks and don't care. Once upon a time I probably would have said I paid the same or more than they guy next to me, so why should I give up the armrest to the sucker in the middle. Be it life experience or threads like this, I now get it. Not because I am inherently a jerk (or so I think), but because empathy comes hard to me, even when I am trying.
Its not what it is or starts out as , its what it devolves into.
emma dog likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
this "you should do what the FA says" authoritarian bootlicking would be slightly more swallowable if this wasn't a clear cut case of the FA only asking the OP to close it because some random bozo asked the FA to ask the OP. If you really think it's important for people to just unquestioningly follow FA directions then it's EVEN MORE important that FAs don't abuse this by issuing instructions that are not significantly related to safety (as this one CLEARLY was not since the FA was doing nothing more than relaying the request from another passenger - once that was clear then ANY obligation the OP has to follow directions is INSTANTLY eliminated).

"fly private" is a totally dumb argument when it can just as easily be applied to the people who want the shade closed.
Fly private if you read was about fact that no one passenger gets to decide, it's about the whole cabin. If you want the right for it to be under your control (either way) then book private.

Also note I didn't say just blindly do as FA asked. I said FA are going to stop asking, instead just order you to shut it. (Which some airlines are doing by policy. Once meal service is over the shades are closed.)
Old Nov 20, 2019, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I'd be happy telling another passenger i wasn't closing the shade as I was looking at the scenery
Old Nov 20, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: Delta
I have requested for a shade to be lowered, when I see that the pax is asleep and the FA will reach across and do it. It's only though when I am been glared out of it, or my screen is a mirror at that point. Everything in moderation. When I see a PAX looking out their window, I suck it up. My preferred location is aisle middle.
angra and MikeNYC1 like this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by El Boocho
I recently saw someone in my row aggressively jab the crap out of the seat back IFE and bump the seat in front hard every time they got up. It was clearly in response to the what was deemed unnecessary, and in fact illegal, reclining. I was LMAO (first time I've ever written that acronym, but I really was)
What is illegal reclining?
DiverDave likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.