Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asked to lower shade

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2019, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
What is illegal reclining?
Leaving the seat reclined during take-off and landing.

Surprised that no one has mentioned eye-masks yet... some airlines do offer them if you ask.
Have problem with light, carry eye mask. case closed.
MikeNYC1 likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jeet
Leaving the seat reclined during take-off and landing.

Surprised that no one has mentioned eye-masks yet... some airlines do offer them if you ask.
Have problem with light, carry eye mask. case closed.
Unless you're trying to use the IFE and the screen is fully obscured by glare.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
Unless you're trying to use the IFE and the screen is fully obscured by glare.
in that case don't watch IFE till shade is down or it gets dark
in any case .. why should someone's comfort and preference takes precedence over window person when they are in the 'controlling' position
DiverDave likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but what about on a flight like DTW-NRT where the entire duration of the flight is in daylight even though it's an "overnight" flight? In those cases it seems reasonable to say that the people not closing their blinds after the meal service are behaving poorly.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
in any case .. why should someone's comfort and preference takes precedence over window person when they are in the 'controlling' position
The passenger doesn't control anything, the crew do.
Jeremy3292 likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by danielvdm
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but what about on a flight like DTW-NRT where the entire duration of the flight is in daylight even though it's an "overnight" flight? In those cases it seems reasonable to say that the people not closing their blinds after the meal service are behaving poorly.
Eye mask.
WillBarrett_68 likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
What is illegal reclining?
reclining during landing or pre take off when the FAs have told you to put your seats in an upright position. The guy reclined fully at the gate, then put it upright when told to by the FA and as soon as she was seated he fully reclined again. Did the same thing during landing.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by Jeremy3292
If your only point is to say "I shouldn't be asked by a flight attendant to talk to another passenger" then I wholeheartedly agree. I am shocked any flight attendant would ask you to confront another passenger to begin with.
That’s complete and utter BS and urge the OP to report this to Delta.
WillBarrett_68 and Jeremy3292 like this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I do not think the passengers control anything apart from his seat. He paid for his seat. Whether he gets a window or middle or aisle depends on the airline. If the passenger pays he pays for his seat. He does not pay for the window shade. It belongs to the airline and the crew has control of it. That is why reading lights are also available so passengers can read without disturbing the other passengers. I do not know about the USA but in many countries if this issue gets escalated and the crew reports the passenger then it could create a bit of trouble. As others have said most passengers would complain because the glare could be in their eyes or they could not see the screen properly.
Jeremy3292 likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
The passenger doesn't control anything, the crew do.
Bingo ^
Old Nov 20, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Whoever sits by the window controls the shade.
I was on an ATL-LAX flight in September that left ATL at 8:37 a.m. I had a window seat.

The window seat was on the right side of the aircraft, which meant it faced north and the sun was not shining directly into the cabin. I enjoyed the scenery, but did have the window only about 1/4 open to minimize the impact on others.

At maybe around 10 a.m., one of the FAs asked me to close the shade. I responded that I had the window mostly closed anyway, and would prefer to continue enjoying the view. She accepted that and moved on.

To me it is sad that some folks insist on a completely dark interior at 10 a.m. on a domestic flight. If the sun were shining in somebody's face it would have been different, but that was not the case.

Well done, OP! ^
Old Nov 20, 2019, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I feel sorry for people to whom every social interaction is a power play with only one possible winner and loser. Fortunately, the few times this has happened to me, I've - without an FA - walked over and asked for a simple accommodation and never got that kind of response.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
I feel the passenger asking you to lower the window shade was unreasonable, and they were DEFINITELY out of line by getting the flight attendant involved.

I also feel you were too nice, by giving up something you enjoyed. I've seen Greenland from the air, and its beauty always amazes me.

Here's how I would handle it:

1. On longer daylight flights, where an open window shade is likely to inconvenience some passengers, I'll keep my window shade just half open, or even 1/4 open if I'm on the sunny side of the aircraft. This blocks the worst of the sun's glare, while still enabling me to enjoy the view. If I have my window shade open just a little, I've never been asked to close it the rest of the way, even on flights where many of the other window shades were lowered.

2. If I'm ever asked to lower my window shade more than that, I'll say that I feel claustrophobic in enclosed spaces, and for "emotional support" reasons, I need to be able to look out the window.

If other people routinely bring pets onto aircraft and pretend they are "emotional support" animals, I should be able to leave my window shade partly up for "emotional support" reasons, too.
My other half ALWAYS has to have a window seat. I'm stuck in the middle when we fly anything but first/business class. This is literally the way he is able to fly. It's his emotional support window, as you suggest. Being able to see outside is the key. This is key to our travel.

I feel that if the daylight bothers someone, they should book a window seat, find something to cover their eyes, or possibly research their seat prior to flying. The window seat occupant controls the shade, just like the guy sitting next to me - when I'm stuck in the middle - seems to control the armrest and the space in front of my own seat as he spreads himself out.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Wow What Timing for this Thread

I have been on hundreds of flight and other than to lower shades on the ground for heat reasons I have never been asked that. WELL I am currently on AA243 4:45PM ET 777 B/E aircraft and the flight attendant came over and asked me if If I could lower my shade because the man next to me in 1-2-1 configuration asked me if I could lower my shade. I said to her I can't look out the window? and she replied it's just what he asked. I am in a Eastbound facing window seat and the sun is setting to the west currently so there is zero glare. I lowered it 1/2 way to make a compromise but that's it. I like looking out the window and heck as others have mentioned I have the window seat. Oddly enough 5 minutes later he got the rubber earpiece from the AA headphones stuck in his ear and a doctor had to be called up to remove it. What an interesting turn of events. On top of that Took the wifi about an hour to get crankin but par for the course with that
Old Nov 20, 2019, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
A fairly typical FT thread. The topic is the FA's conduct and it devolves into the righteousness of the "ask".

The bottom line here is that it was entirely appropriate for the other passenger to ask a FA to ask OP and entirely appropriate for OP to decline. It was inappropriate for the FA to ask OP to handle the answer to the other passenger and OP appropriately declined to do so.

Crew are trained to intervene in what can otherwise become hostile situations at FL 40 and that is why communicating through the crew is the right way to go. If the FA did not want to become involved, the FA ought not to have asked OP at all.

OP should report the specific incident and leave out all of the irrelevant chatter. The sole relevant part of the complaint is that the FA asked him to handle the passenger interface. The rest detracts from the issue and the bot handling the initial screen will propose a standard window shade response.
luv2vacay and WillBarrett_68 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.