Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asked to lower shade

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by fmirenzi
You can look at Greenland on Google Earth if you really need to. When a FA tells you to do something, you do it. If I was the FA I would have just reached over you and shut it myself. Newsflash: buying a ticket doesn’t entitle you to any control whatsoever over the aircraft equipment, including the window shade. You are free to open it and close it until the flight crew instructs you to do otherwise.

You're right. I think I'll visit Greenland between my first and second cup of coffee this AM.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 8:13 am

You can look at Greenland on Google Earth if you really need to. When a FA tells you to do something, you do it. If I was the FA I would have just reached over you and shut it myself. Newsflash: buying a ticket doesn’t entitle you to any control whatsoever over the aircraft equipment, including the window shade. You are free to open it and close it until the flight crew instructs you to do otherwise.
While it varies by airline, your statement about the window shade. by and large, is simply incorrect.

There is all sorts of aircraft equipment you control...

You are allowed to control your IFE.
You are allowed to control your seat. And in the name of safety, a FA could tell you to raise your seat and you should comply.
You are allowed to use the bathroom and lock the bathroom door. And in the name of safety, a FA could say you cannot use it and you should comply.
You are allowed to lower your tray table. And in the name of safety, a FA could raise it and you should comply.
And when you are at the window you are allowed to raise or lower the shade.And in the name of safety, a FA could tell you to raise your window shade and you should comply.

The idea a FA could order you to shut your window shade is preposterous. (The same way if the FA told you to turn off a movie on the IFE because someone else was offended, that would be ridiculous.)

And you will note from the OP's story, the FA did not try to even begin to "order" them to shut it as they know they have zero power to do so.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 8:16 am

You can look at Greenland on Google Earth if you really need to.
well when you put it that way, 99% of air travel is unnecessary. Meeting someone? Videoconference. Vacationing? Watch Rick Steves on youtube.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
You missed a lot.

1) we DO know why the FA asked the OP to lower the shade, it's because another passenger complained.
Correct. However, you cannot assume the reasoning the passenger complained. It could have been for a legitimate reason, such as the sun shining in his eyes; it could have not been for a legitimate reason.

Regardless, the passenger refused to comply with all crew member instructions, a violation of FAA rules (they literally announce this at the beginning of every flight).

Therefore, the passenger invited confrontation by not complying with the crew member instructions.

A passenger does not get to decide what is an erroneous crew member instruction and what is a legitimate crew member instruction while in the air. A passenger may complain through the proper channels upon landing and deplaning. The only logical exception to this rule would be a crew member asking a passenger to do something that is clearly a violation of law or statute.
flyerCO likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Jeremy3292
Correct. However, you cannot assume the reasoning the passenger complained. It could have been for a legitimate reason, such as the sun shining in his eyes; it could have not been for a legitimate reason.

Regardless, the passenger refused to comply with all crew member instructions, a violation of FAA rules (they literally announce this at the beginning of every flight).

Therefore, the passenger invited confrontation by not complying with the crew member instructions.

A passenger does not get to decide what is an erroneous crew member instruction and what is a legitimate crew member instruction while in the air. A passenger may complain through the proper channels upon landing and deplaning. The only logical exception to this rule would be a crew member asking a passenger to do something that is clearly a violation of law or statute.
Of course you can refuse to follow any flight crew request that is not valid. Yes, you are betting it will be determined later it is not valid. If a FA tells you to switch seats because a family wants to sit next to each other, you can say no. Posters above have given even more great reasons to want the window shade up. And the preference of one passenger does not supersede the preference/rights of another passenger.

The FA knew they had no power to demand they close the shade. and thus asked OP to lower the shade. Did not ORDER, ASKED. And OP was well within their rights to say no.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Global321
Of course you can refuse to follow any flight crew request that is not valid. Yes, you are betting it will be determined later it is not valid. If a FA tells you to switch seats because a family wants to sit next to each other, you can say no. Posters above have given even more great reasons to want the window shade up. And the preference of one passenger does not supersede the preference/rights of another passenger.

The FA knew they had no power to demand they close the shade. and thus asked OP to lower the shade. Did not ORDER, ASKED. And OP was well within their rights to say no.
I don't disagree with your argument(s) as a general point. I am only saying you don't know the reason the shade was asked to be lowered. You are making an assumption that it was a ridiculous request by another passenger without any evidence to support it.

No one argued that the FA should not have asked the OP to "confront another passenger" (assuming that did actually happen verbatim). Could the FA have simply not asked the OP to lower the shade? Yes, the FA could have done that and ignored the other passenger's request. But FA's have a difficult job tending to numerous passengers with numerous wants/needs. We don't know the validity of the other passenger's request; it is only speculation that it was erroneous.

I am only stating all of this to point out the fact that we (us, everyone, humans) always assume the other person is wrong: in this case the FA and the other passenger. A little less "me" and a little more "us" goes a long way in this world, from all parties involved.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
Lower it if you will (inflight) but I will never understand people who lower or keep lowered those shades on take-off and landing (especially landing). Don't you want to SEE your proximity to the ground as you are descending as well as be "prepared" for that hard-slam dunk (or not) when you actually land ? Good grief, to be moving at hundreds of miles per hour in a metal tube with no perception of this is maddening to me.
I completely agree. Yesterday, I was in the right-side window on a 739. The pax in the other window kept his shade down for landing. I noticed, right before touch-down, the other 3 people in row 19 were looking out my window to follow the landing. Clearly it's a common desire to watch the landing, so I don't think it's an unreasonable request to ask the window pax to raise the shade.
FlyingNone likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Jeremy3292
I don't disagree with your argument(s) as a general point. I am only saying you don't know the reason the shade was asked to be lowered. You are making an assumption that it was a ridiculous request by another passenger without any evidence to support it.

No one argued that the FA should not have asked the OP to "confront another passenger" (assuming that did actually happen verbatim). Could the FA have simply not asked the OP to lower the shade? Yes, the FA could have done that and ignored the other passenger's request. But FA's have a difficult job tending to numerous passengers with numerous wants/needs. We don't know the validity of the other passenger's request; it is only speculation that it was erroneous.

I am only stating all of this to point out the fact that we (us, everyone, humans) always assume the other person is wrong: in this case the FA and the other passenger. A little less "me" and a little more "us" goes a long way in this world, from all parties involved.
I don't disagree with your argument(s) as a general point as well.

I assume the request was for comfort, as I cannot think of any other reason to close a shade. Thus, it is a request, not a requirement.

FA was not wrong to ask and OP was not wrong to say no.

To your point, just because you can do something (leave the shade open) does not mean you should do something. Being courteous of others is always a winner.
Jeremy3292 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
If I'm ever asked to lower my window shade more than that, I'll say that I feel claustrophobic in enclosed spaces, and for "emotional support" reasons, I need to be able to look out the window.

If other people routinely bring pets onto aircraft and pretend they are "emotional support" animals, I should be able to leave my window shade partly up for "emotional support" reasons, too.
I like it. Henceforth, The Sun is my emotional support :-:.

Originally Posted by theboss7593
Oddly enough 5 minutes later he got the rubber earpiece from the AA headphones stuck in his ear and a doctor had to be called up to remove it. What an interesting turn of events.
Whipped cream and a cherry on top if the doc asked for nearby window shades to be raised so s/he could have enough light to ‘operate’.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

The FA had full power to order it full stop. Courts have upheld the power of FAA to go after people for failing to follow an order regardless. Even if the order shouldn't have been given, the view is that in the air is not the safe place to argue it. It's just like with a cop. If they're illegally detaining you, you have no right to force them to stop. Instead you must still comply and can goto court and sue if you were wronged. Why? Safety.

In this case no order was given, thus no application to this situation.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
While it varies by airline, your statement about the window shade. by and large, is simply incorrect.

There is all sorts of aircraft equipment you control...

You are allowed to control your IFE.
You are allowed to control your seat. And in the name of safety, a FA could tell you to raise your seat and you should comply.
You are allowed to use the bathroom and lock the bathroom door. And in the name of safety, a FA could say you cannot use it and you should comply.
You are allowed to lower your tray table. And in the name of safety, a FA could raise it and you should comply.
And when you are at the window you are allowed to raise or lower the shade.And in the name of safety, a FA could tell you to raise your window shade and you should comply.

The idea a FA could order you to shut your window shade is preposterous. (The same way if the FA told you to turn off a movie on the IFE because someone else was offended, that would be ridiculous.)

And you will note from the OP's story, the FA did not try to even begin to "order" them to shut it as they know they have zero power to do so.
Wholly incorrect. The crew controls everything onboard. You may be allowed to generally do as you want. However they still maintain veto over any action you take.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

yes, I can see the headlines now, passenger arrested for looking out the window. A surefire winner for the airline.
No headline would be "Passenger fails to follow crew instructions. Now face jail time for failing to close shade."

Courts have upheld FAA ability to go after people failing to follow any crew instructions. Why? Public safety. The air is not a place that's safe for arguements.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
No headline would be "Passenger fails to follow crew instructions. Now face jail time for failing to close shade."

Courts have upheld FAA ability to go after people failing to follow any crew instructions. Why? Public safety. The air is not a place that's safe for arguements.
Wrong. No one is going to have a problem saying no to lowering the window shade. This is silly.

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Wholly incorrect. The crew controls everything onboard. You may be allowed to generally do as you want. However they still maintain veto over any action you take.
wrong,
ijgordon likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

doesn't this go both ways? Isn't it "rude" to darken the cabin if people on board enjoy natural light?

The reality is that people have different preferences and part of living in a society is coming to terms with the fact that you don't always get what you want.
Goes back to my comment on flying private. If the majority of the cabin is wanting light, let there be light. If they want darkness, let there be darkness. My whole point was that on non-private transportation one passenger shouldn't control the outcome for everyone.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Wrong. No one is going to have a problem saying no to lowering the window shade. This is silly.

wrong,
If they refuse, and the FA insists yes there will be a problem. Maybe take an Aviation Law class or read up on some of the precedent forming court cases. Literally failing to follow an order for any reason can result in FAA going after you. There's a reason the announcement they make says failing to comply with all (not some, or only those you feel should be) crew member instructions, lighted signs and posted placards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.